1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just go ahead and hand the trophy to the Lakers, spare me all of the....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HOOP-T, Apr 30, 2001.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

.....boring, non-competitive playoffs. Am I the only one that thinks the games are boring? Philly and Indiana have had a pretty exciting series, but that's about it. It also looks like several teams have jumped the gun with the rule changes and begun playing zone "D" already! How many illegal defense calls have there been? TONS! Technicals, ejections, and just downright boring basketball is what we are getting. Add that to bad officiating, terribly LOW FG% for several HIGH SCORING players (see Vince Carter to name one) and it makes for lackluster performances.

I hate the Lakers, but they are going to repeat. I don't think anyone can beat them now that they have gotten the chemistry together. AND, the 7th sign is upon us, and Shaq has begun to hit free throws.

Who else would love a Minnesota vs. Charlotte final? He he he he!!!

------------------
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.
    KNIGHTS OF NI:
    Ni! Shh!
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I actually enjoyed the Charlotte Miami series, because unlike some teams, Charlotte gave 100% from every player in all the games. It's unlikely that they can maintain such a pace, but it was exciting to watch.

The rest of the games I have seen have been kind of blah. It was funny watching the Blazers destruct in game 2.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw the last few minutes and overtime of the last Bucks Magic game. That was exciting. Did anyone see the Ray Allen dunk to tie it up in regulation?

He drove, turned the corner, and then slammed it home hard right over T-Mac, he then hung on the rim with one arm for a few seconds...

Powerful stuff... I almost found myself jumping up and down in my living room screaming, "Jesus! Slam it Jesus!" [​IMG]

------------------
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

That Allen dunk was GREAT! I got up and yelled myself. It was so quick and powerful, he ended up leaning almost horizontal while still holding onto the rim.

Mr. Shuttlesworth can play!

------------------
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    KNIGHTS OF NI:
    Ni! Shh!
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Lakers will not repeat. They are playing well, but they played a completely dysfunctional and choking bunch in the first round which made them look better than they really are. Let's not forget, with their season on the line as far as 2nd or 3rd seed in the last week of the season, they let that same horrific Blazer team take them down to the final minute at home at Staples. Once they play the Spurs, they will get it handed to them, like they always have. Duncan will dominate Grant, Robinson, Rose, Walker, etc. will have enough fouls to contain Shaq some, and Derek Anderson is one of the top on the ball defenders at the SG spot in the league. Plus the Spurs have better defense, the homecourt, better shooters (which is the strength of many of the Laker role players), etc. The Lakers are more flashy, they get more attention, but the Spurs will get it done like they always have. The Lakers chemistry really looks better than it is, because so many try and use the way they are playing now and compare it to the way they were playing back in January. But the Spurs have been on top of their game all season long, and they will stay there in the playoffs. Spurs over Lakers in 5, maybe 4. AGAIN.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The Spurs will defeat the Lakers in seven games in the WCF, and it is going to be one of the greatest NBA playoff series of all time. I can feel it. Then, to everyone's surprise, Philly will defeat the Spurs in the Finals.

------------------
    WIN NOW!

The Protrolls.com message boards!

Over one week old and still no posts!

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

ZRB,cat. lets get past the timberwolves first before we start talking about the lakers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

mgh 1925-2001

[This message has been edited by dc rock (edited April 30, 2001).]

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

This series will be a classic. Let us examine the match-ups in a potential Laker-Spurs series.

At Power Forward and Center, there are clear edges to the Spurs and Lakers respectively. Both O'Neal and Duncan put some dominating stats against the other team, while Grant and Robinson didn't do more than their season averages. I don't expect this to change in the playoffs, both will dominate. By the way, both O'Neal and Duncan have similar FT% in the postseason so far.

At Small Forward, I give a clear edge to the Lakers. You may not like Rick Fox, his attitude and his hair, but he is markedly better than the Poor Man's Matt Bullard - Danny Ferry.

At Shooting Guard, Kobe Bryant has an enormous edge here. Though Derek Anderson has had a good season, he was owned by Bryant in the regular season. Bryant had averages of 37.7pts, 5.3ast, and 4.3 reb on 49.5% shooting. Anderson meanwhile countered with 16.3pts, 6.0reb and 2.8ast with sub-40% shooting.

At point guard, its even.

As for the bench, I give the Spurs the edge in that they can bring big bodies off the bench to throw at O'Neal whereas the Laker's best bench players are players like Devean George and Robert Horry, who won't be effective versus Duncan.

The coaching edge goes to no one. I don't think either one of them is that great a coach.

My prediction is Lakers in 7, but it will be fantastic entertainment.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"but the Spurs will get it done like they always have."

Like they ALWAYS have?

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

mgh 1925-2001

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I was thinking the Spurs would beat LA, but then I read The Cat's post, and remembered all his posts from last year about the LA/Portland series, and now I'm worried.

------------------
    "I fell off the toilet!" ---Estelle Costanza

"I'll be gettin real drunk and making fun of everybody"

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I am quite sure the championship will be played when the Spurs and Lakers meet. Even the 6ers, best in the east, have no chance against either of those teams.

The way Shaq is playing, I like the Lakers. That's who I picked before and I see nothing to change my mind (though I also thought the Heat would win the east). Also, the Spurs no longer have the wing defenders (the pre-transplant Elliot and Mario) to play Kobe as well as they did before, plus Kobe is just better now anyway. DA is probably just too short to play him well, I don't think it is a good sign that Kobe averaged 38PPG against him in the regular season. I do think it will be a great series though, probably going 6, because Duncan is almost as difficult to play as Shaq. But the mismatches that Shaq and Kobe make will be too much for Duncan too overcome.

12. The Cat

At Small Forward, I give a clear edge to the Lakers. You may not like Rick Fox, his attitude and his hair, but he is markedly better than the Poor Man's Matt Bullard - Danny Ferry.

I don't think so. You haven't seen Ferry much this year I'm assuming. Ferry has been physical, a good defender, and a great shooter. He can also get up and down the floor well, and is very underrated because of several things. He plays much the same role as Rick Fox, and imho does it better.

Like they ALWAYS have?

Ever since Duncan's been healthy since his rookie year...

ZRB,cat. lets get past the timberwolves first before we start talking about the lakers.

OK, now what? [​IMG]

I was thinking the Spurs would beat LA, but then I read The Cat's post, and remembered all his posts from last year about the LA/Portland series, and now I'm worried.

Unfortunately I can't control meltdowns and officials. I still think the Blazers last year were a better team-- but hey, if you can't execute or make a shot in the final 10 I guess that doesn't matter. However, I can pretty much assure everyone on this board that the Spurs are experienced in the big moment-- not chokers like Rasheed, Quitten, and the crew. If it goes to game 7 they won't lose at the Alamodome... too much for the Lakers to overcome. Plus they'll have to overcome me screaming my lungs out-- I'll be there!

Also, the Spurs no longer have the wing defenders (the pre-transplant Elliot and Mario) to play Kobe as well as they did before

Derek Anderson is a phenomenal wing defender who is just as big as Elie, and Ferry is an underrated defender as well. They also have a very healthy Elliott coming off the bench.

I don't think it is a good sign that Kobe averaged 38PPG against him in the regular season.

The majority of the Spurs/Lakers regular season games were early in the season, when Kobe, not Shaq, was the top option. When Kobe was chucking up shots at the rate of 30-40 a night, its not hard for him to put up those numbers. Plus the Spurs do a great job on Shaq.

The Spurs never blow anyone away by talent. They have Tim Duncan (who I still consider the top player in the entire league) and some good player-- they don't have the 2nd star, or the Kobe to Shaq. The Lakers have more flair, and its easy to say two stars will outdo one. But the Spurs defense, shooting, chemistry, leadership, composure, and experience go far beyond what anyone can analyze in a statistical analysis. This Spurs team is a special team, and one that I definitely expect to go all the way again.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The Spurs really remind me of the championship Rockets. Good post players surrounded by three-point shooters. Its funny how the analysts bashed the Rockets for their "boring" stlye of offense when they won their titles, while all they do is praise the Spurs.

------------------
    WIN NOW!

The Protrolls.com message boards!

Hey, I've got posts now! Feel free to join in the trolling fun!

Protrolls.com!

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree:

1) I have seen Danny Ferry plenty this year, and I do not get the picture that he is a good physical defender. I grant you he has a great shot, but his defense is not that good. Luckily he has Duncan and Robinson behind him. I believe Rock Fox is stronger and faster than Ferry and will be able to drive by him at will.

2) Derek Anderson may be a good wing defender, but he is hopelessly overmatched by Bryant. Bryant torched him for 38ppg, but shot at a 49.5% clip. And help Anderson to only 16.3 pts on sub-40% shooting. And unless Anderson seriously ups his game(he's not having a good playoffs) Bryant will have him for lunch. Remember, Bryant has done this already, Anderson has never been here.

3) Shaquille O'Neal versus the Spurs - 26pts, 13.8 reb, 3.3ast
    Tim Duncan versus the Lakers - 24.3pts, 11.8 reb 3.3 ast.

They cancel each other out.

4) While the Spurs are not the masters of the choke like the Failblazers, Shaquille O'Neal has never lost a game 7 in the playoffs. Say what you want about him, he does not dissapear in the playoffs.

Like I said before, this will be a phenomenal series, and we are watching the Great Rivalry of our generation. Its like Boston-LA of the 80's, but in our backyard.

PS - You'd really have tickets to a game 7 in the Alamodome? That's awesome.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Horace Grant could be the X factor if he plays well. Also, Derek Fisher has REALLY stepped up and is hitting his perimeter shots at a pretty high clip. If he continues to do that, SA could be in trouble.

------------------
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    KNIGHTS OF NI:
    Ni! Shh!
    HEAD KNIGHT:

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Elie is probably 1.5 inches taller than DA, but more importantly, far stronger. And Kobe's 38 PPG and 50% shooting is darned good against one of the best defensive teams in the league. But like I said, I am not sure the Elliot and Mario of 99' could slow the Kobe of 91. About the only guy I would be "comfortable" putting on Kobe is Tracy McGrady, and after tonight I think he will be out of the playoffs.

Combining Kobe's progression with Shaq hitting closer to 60% at the line lately, that looks to be too tough of a combination. But if anyone can beat them, for sure it is the Spurs. Still like Lakers in 6 or 7 though.

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

The series could go either way.

Center-Shaq;BIG TIME. Robinson isn't close to the player he used to be.

Power Forward-Duncan;BIG TIME. Grant isn't close to the player he used to be.

Small Forward-Lakers;Fox is quicker, stronger, a better defender, and almost as good a shooter

Shooting Guard-Lakers;Kobe is of course the best "2" in the league

Point Guard-Spurs;Porter playing like his old self.

Bench-Spurs;With Elliot, Daniels, Johnson, Rose, Walker off the bench, this is a good squad.

My prediction-One of the teams will falter in the semis.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Have you seen the way Fisher has been playing for the Lakers? If he keeps that up, the edge goes to LA at the PG spot.

------------------
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    KNIGHTS OF NI:
    Ni! Shh!
    HEAD KNIGHT:

19. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Don't forget about the Kings yet.

I know LA-SA seems like the ideal matchup but Sac will have home court vs LA.

20. The Cat

I know LA-SA seems like the ideal matchup but Sac will have home court vs LA.

No they won't. The Kings choked that away in the final two weeks of the season. The Lakers have homecourt over the Kings in the 2nd round.

------------------