1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Junior Seau shot dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, May 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Daddy-O's:.:

Not feeling the argument on Junior being traumatized by contact football.

In Australia they play a sport called rugby and the contact in it makes football look like badminton. Those guys normally just walk it off with a beer or ten after the game, but diet wise they're relatively healthy. And Australian women are spectacular and sexually liberal - so all in all it's a healthy lifestyle despite the contact.

I think you just get to a point where you have to admit a slob is a guy living an unhealthy lifestyle and he's living in a place that supports slobbiness. The unnatural, synthetic way of life is what's really ****ing with his mind... not taking a few hits here and there.

Keepin it real, as always.

-R-Dog

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rugby is fun to watch, its just too short to really be marketable in the US.

3. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Pretty big difference in physical condition between a lard*** lineman and a linebacker.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The old start light and seemingly level headed, then drop the well placed douche bomb in. And it works everytime.

How is 10 beers NOT slobby living?

Ironically, how is your whole shtick "real" and NOT "synthetic"?

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The NFL has no responsibility in this...and no reason to drastically change the game.

Players know, before they step on the field, that their lives are at risk. They know EXACTLY what they are getting themselves into. However, they still do it for the love of the game, the fame, the money, the adrenaline, etc...

If they dont want it, they have all the decision making capabilities to avoid the game.

The NFL needs to have players sign waivers...bc making a lawsuit against the NFL because you had concussions and subsequent health problems is one of the most idiotic things I can think of...and the fact that players and some people here are suggesting it is completely silly.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Not funny now won't be funny at any point.

1 person likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There isn't as much head to head contact in rugby since they don't wear helmets. Helmets give the players a false since of security and lead to a lot more concussions. That being said -- I agree this wasn't caused by Seau playing football.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I don't think this was related to football. Dude just had some personal demons he was dealing with, unfortunately he lost his battle.

RIP55

9. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

Big difference between Football and Rugby. Rugby players have a skill MOST football players do not......and that is the ability to properly tackle. I've been involved in Rugby since I was 12 years old and have never seen the types of head injuries associated with Football. You see guys making contact with the head on Rugby highlights......but as a whole......a majority of the contact is below the waist. Also, without a helmet and tiny pads.......headhunting hurts both parties involved equally. Football is way more dangerous to a persons well being than Rugby......

That being said, I am really sad to hear about Junior. Never cared for the Chargers but Junior was a guy I grew up loving to watch play. Never seemed to have anything other than Joy and a smile on his face. The NFL lost a great guy.........much love to his loved ones.

10. mclawson

mclawson Member

Not even at point....blank?

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

People who don't think 20 years of repeated jarring head trauma doesn't have something to do with this have to be ignoring what is turning into reams of science showing a direct correlation to these types of head injuries and mental instability and suicide. Without the brain studies there seem to be just too many examples of these incidents. With the brain studies it seems conclusive to me, no?

I mean a perfectly healthy otherwise happy UPenn lineman thre himself out of a window a couple years back. Can there be multiple contributing factors? Of course, but this head trauma definitely is one, and I'd argue a meaningful one as it relates to someone ultimately truly deciding to take their own life.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I agree. 20+ years of hits and injuries probably took some toll.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dude, UPenn lineman cant possibly feel the effect of head trauma that quickly...were turning a concussion into a reason for suicide. Sure, repeated head trauma over a number of years...and then allowing that to set in for a decade or more.

You dont go from a concussion one day, a few football games over a year, and then suicide. That just doesnt jive with science or reality.

For just as many studies that have been done linking brain injury and mental instability, there are just as many or more that dispute it. One thing is for sure though, it will take plenty of time for any of the effects to be felt...not just a handful of years or even a decade. The time period needs to be around 20+ years, at the least.

And honestly, there is something crazy about football players to begin with...they have an affinity towards reckless behavior towards their bodies and others. Thats what the sport requires. Any person that shies away from physical contact has no place in the sport...therefore, it takes someone that is just crazy enough to put their body in harm's way. I'd say a lot of football players inherently have a little more "crazy" in them than others.

14. Asian Sensation

Dude seriously?

1 person likes this.
  15. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Wow. Junior Seau was never the bad guy in any sense, yet you continue to mock his death under the guise of an internet moniker. I hope you sleep well tonight, karma is a b****.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

the idea that head trauma has no role is laughable. I remember after the Chris Benoit tragedy when the media wanted to talk about nothing but steroids, some harvard guy did tests on Benoit's brain and revealed he had the brain of an 80 year old Alzheimer's patient due to all the concussions and head trauma he suffered.

I don't support the lawsuit against the NFL necessarily, but I think fans who say things like "This is the life they choose, they know going in, blah blah blah" are insane. You think it's ok that NFL players live substantially shorter lives than the rest of the population? That their heads are scrambled by the time the leave the NFL? You are that blood thirsty that you just say "ah toughen up and take it! You get well paid!" Wow.

17. mclawson

mclawson Member

Yes, seriously. He took his own life, an incredibly selfish act. I have no pity for the man. Even if the repeated head trauma was a factor (and the jury is certainly still out on that), he, and every other professional football player, knew that risk going into the game. He made his choice, just like he made the choice to take his own life, robbing his children of their father. Yes, he did many great things in life and we should celebrate those, but I refuse to have pity on him for his permanent solution to a temporary problem. Mocking may be a bit much, but I just can't condone someone who goes out like that.

Oh, and whomever cussed me out via rep, thanks for the 2 points, I guess?

1 person likes this.
  18. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

It is a bit much, it's more than a bit much, you act all adult in this post, congratulations on pretending to care. No remorse for suicide, which isnt even confirmed, is something I also strongly believe in, but you aren't Junior Seau, you aren't anyone that's ever taken their own life, so to mock it, is shameful. Enjoy your rep. You needed to be b****ed out for your comments. Whoever did cuss you out, props to them, and congrats on having invisible points on a projection from a screen. Contradict, contradict. Watch the videos of the people that knew him and get a perspective of who the man actually was, maybe you already did, maybe you're just a self-justifying, self-interest man. It doesn't matter, because if you took your own life, there would be about 50 million less souls that actually cared.

So according to you, **** everyone who has ever taken their own life, because it's selfish. Clearly Junior Seau didn't leave anything for his family, yeah right. You have no clue what you're talking about. 43 years of being unselfish, working your ass off, becoming an icon in a city, contributing tons of money to charity, means nothing, simply because his means ended under his terms, not someone elses or natures. Everyone has their own right to choose their path in life, and Seau accomplished more than anyone on this silly forum could ever imagine. Go eat some crow man.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. mclawson

mclawson Member

Or I could be someone with first hand experience of loved ones (yes, multiple) taking their own lives. It is selfish and to believe otherwise is disingenuous, and yes, **** them. I don't care for them any less, but **** them anyway for taking the easy way out and leaving behind scars and holes that won't ever heal.

As for me taking my own life, that's a bit of a straw man, no? I'm pretty sure, based on my own life experiences, that I would never go that route. I've been on the other side.

And 43 years? Since he was born? That IS impressive. As I said, he did impressive things and they should be celebrated, however his final act should NOT.

Oh, and my favorite part of the rep cuss out that I forgot to mention the first time was that the person mocked me for hiding behind a screen name when I made my comments, yet left the rep post unsigned. The universe loves irony, I suppose.

20. aghast

aghast Member

It's up to the viewer.

One can no longer, in good conscience, watch players destroy themselves. No transitory two minute drive is worth the necessary, cumulative effects of football, football played as written in the rulebook. Nothing is worth the decades of depression and dementia which necessarily follow from players cracking their heads against one another, day in, day out.

I love boxing. I can't watch boxing anymore, not after Ali. Now it's football too.

It's up to the consumer. No active boycott; just can't watch it, can't support it financially anymore.

We must seek more from our entertainment than just bread and circuses.

JayZ, you're right. Parents, don't let your sons grow up to be football players.

Really? Do you support televised gladiator contests? You're okay with watching people kill one another? What about Bum Fights? They know what they're getting into, right? Most NFL players have no other avenue, no other skills to make money. Same for the college players who aren't good enough to make it to the NFL. Same for the high school players who aren't good enough to make it into college.

And they all start out playing football at an age where they feel immortal. Worse, as they progress, stadiums full of adoring fans, we, reinforce that idea. The cumulative effects of concussions, even micro-concussions, are only noticeable when it's too late to do anything about it.

Where do you draw the line?

Have you ever had a family member with dementia? Take it from me: that ----'s pretty permanent, too. Until it's not.