1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jump on Rush; not another Armstrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Dec 5, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Rush would be the '3 point' Rock, for a 2nd round pick? Do NOT let this be another fall thru the cracks like Armstrong was!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/basketball/nba/charlotte_bobcats/10343374.htm

Bobcats waive House, might trade for Laker

The Charlotte Bobcats unexpectedly waived reserve shooting guard Eddie House late Saturday, a move that one informed source said could soon make Los Angeles Lakers guard Kareem Rush a Bobcat.

The source said the Bobcats and Lakers are discussing a trade of Rush for one or more future second-round picks. A 6-foot-6 swingman, Rush has fallen out of favor with the Lakers this season, averaging 6.5 minutes and just under a point per game.

Rush makes about $1.17 million this season on a Lakers salary cap of $61 million. This would lighten the Lakers payroll slightly, and team owner Jerry Buss has always shied away from the possibility of paying luxury tax. The Bobcats are about $6 million under the salary cap, so they have plenty of room to absorb Rush' money, in the last guaranteed season on his contract.

Bobcats coach Bernie Bickerstaff initially said House had an "excused absence" from Saturday's game against the Knicks. Later, the Bobcats issued a press release saying House had been waived. House played well in Charlotte, averaging 11.1 points.

House's contract, which the Bobcats acquired from the Clippers, is worth about $825,000 this season.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Really strange that they waived House...he was even among the league leaders in steals for a while...

3. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

This dude is atheletic and deadly from perimeters. I watched a couple of bobcats games. Not only Eddie House can shoot from perimeter, he can create his own shots! That's more than twice the capabilities of the other Rockets players! It's not even funny how thin the rockets roster is. Even players waived on another team can play better than the likes of Bowen, Gaines, Padget, Boki, Ward, Lue, etc, etc. :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I think Rush would fit well as the 3pt marksman on this team. As we saw last night vs. Phili, when a team packs the defense in the paint, we need guy who can punish them for it.

I have a feeling Denver will snatch House up.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Bobcats get Rush for some crappy 2nd rounders then once again the Rockets would have fallen asleep!

Rush can hit the 3pt shot and is young and is athletic.

Is he the ANSWER to the Rockets problems? No, but could he help? Yes. Could he ADD to the talent base in Houston? Yes.
    Could he eventually be a tradable asset to the Rockets in the future? Yes.

This is the kind of LONG RANGE thinking CD needs to have. This is the kind of trade Dallas makes all the time to improve their talent base.

In LA Rush has completely fallen out of the rotation. They just dont have any room for him, any minutes for him. This is EXACTLY the type of guy the Rockets should identify to make a trade.

We have to take ADVANTAGE of these situations.

P.S. In the above article it said the Lakers were looking to lighten their salary cap. Basically they just want to GIVE AWAY salary here. The Rockets interestingly enough have a 5.9M Trade Exception. Why dont we just absorb that salary? I mean really? WTF!?!? Why have the T.E. if we cant use it.

Getting Rush is a no brainer move. Zero downside and nothing but upside here.

6. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

That's funny how a dude like Eddie House who nobody wants, including Bobcats and fans here has more offensive capabilities than half of the Rockets on the court last night. FREAKING REDICULOUS!

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We could send them a 2nd rounder as well. I'd jump on it. Rush is a nice player, with room to grow his game. He's certainly killed the Rockets a time or two.

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

The only thing is, I read Denver is apparently offering a 2nd-rounder as well but LA a) thinks Charlotte's pick will be higher and b) doesn't want to trade Rush to another western conference league.

So I think the Rockets would have to give up much more than a 2nd rounder for him.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Rush would be a nice addition to this team. How many times have we seen him come off the bench and just provide a HUGE spark for them.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Forget Rush. I say we sign House. This guy is instant offense. He's shooting a blistering percentage this year from behind the arc. The knock on him is that he's a SG in a PG's body. But like I brought up in a "can T-mac play the PG" thread a couple of weeks ago, if we run the offense through T-mac then House can be free to be the SG on offense but defend opposing PGs.

Between Sura, T-mac and JJ we have guys that can bring the ball up. What we desparately need are guys that can put the ball in the basket. I really think House can be a guy that would be a good fit around here.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If we can't get Rush we should try to get House.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Deckard, Duece:

If the Lakers wanted to trade Rush for a second, first rounder and it was between Charlotte or Houston, guess what?

Charlotte wins, every time.

To make a trade, the other team has to be willing to trade with you as well. Why would the Lakers trade with us when they can:

1. Get a higher draft pick for him with Charlotte

2. Not worry about helping out a team in the same conference.

Period.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey! Logic isn't fun. :)

14. Man

Man Contributing Member

House or Rush both sound great.
    House has been good whenever I see him play.
    Same with Rush..Rush is tall and young and athletic..something we need lol..he lit us up plenty of times last year too.
    Please get one lol.
    This will help Sura, Barrett, and Tmac.
    Bye bye Ward and Gaines and Lue lol. Well maybe Gaines can still play.
    It would really help..I hope we get them seriously.
    Tmac could play small forward..help out Jimmy...I think Boki should get to play more..same with Bowen and Padgett.

As long as you can make the open shot, you're in the game. :p I think we should play all 12 players each game..like Hubie did.

15. HoneyNut Ichiro

HoneyNut Ichiro Contributing Member

Not too familiar with Rush's overall game, but do you guys believe Van Gundy will actually PLAY Rush if we do get him? From what I've heard, Rush's not much of a player except for his long range ability, and we all know how JVG handles young shooters with no defense (i.e. Boki).

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Give Mo back to Rudy...take their underwanted Chuckie + unwanted George + unwanted Rush...and a 2nd...Buss saves $ and gives/gets what we know they should want.

Then, cut Lue and Ward. No loss there.

17. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

How about Mo + Lue + 2nd rounder for Rush + B. Grant. This gives us the rebounding we need at PF and another outside shooter that we desperately need.

18. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Yeah, I wish. This would be a great trade for us, but I don't think they would do that.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why do they give up BG? They want out of DG contract. Otherwise, sure. In a heartbeat.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yeah I know, but I saw this quickly turning into a JVG's fault for not trading for him kind of thread ;)