1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[July 2019] Do you like the CP3 for Westbrook trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sajan, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

509 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No

164 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. dmoneybangbang

Well.... a lot of y’all wanted to make a move....

I voted yes. It’s a no brainer to swap out CP3 for Russ while keeping our roster intact.

CCity Zero and tc0330 like this.
  2. MystikArkitect

I have my reservations about Russ. A lot of them. Can he shoot semi efficiently? Can he take on more of a Rondo role? What happened last year? Can Dantoni actually coach them?

But let’s face it. Chris Paul was a shell of himself last year. He was 34. He was ornery. His contract was as bad as Rynos.

This is about as good a trade as you could’ve asked for. Question is if Russ and Harden want championships, or if they just want to be on highlight reels. Both of their games need to mature.

3. basketballholic

Oh lunkhead

@cyberx just verified that there was NO MARKET for Russ. Fertita FORCED Morey to do it. And Morey had (and has) his doubts!!!!

Sincerely

Your local fake insider

#243 basketballholic, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    malakas likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Riiiight .. because basement dwelling social media contributors/"insiders" are going to dictate and forecast what 2 MVPS playing together will look like!? LMAOOOOOO **** is so funny. "only one ball, Westbrook is a defensive liability, he cant shoot, wahh wahh wahhhhhh"

5. tc0330

tc0330 Member

over 300 votes liked the trade compared to no haha

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree that this trade is a high risk, high reward situation. It could work, but it might not.

7. Asian Sensation

Westbrick was the most clowned, hated, disrespected ‘superstar’ on this forum for good reason up until yesterday.

Bunch of delusional fools. Westbrick is the ultimate loser. More so than Harden. Just barely.

malakas and BeardNation13 like this.
  8. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

The fact you discredit Harden says everything. Keep digging that hole bro.

marky :) likes this.
  9. tc0330

tc0330 Member

cool then take your fake rockets fan ass somewhere else. bye felicia

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

How could it not be a good trade to remove 35 year old man to get 30 year old player? The rockets need a good coach now, that dumber owner may have an idea to get new coach instead of extending him for new contract.

11. RyanB

RyanB Member

I voted yes, and I have to acknowledge that it's a move that you have to make.
    Tillman: he made his first big move as the new owner
    Brown: this is definitely his fireworks
    Morey: pressured by Tilman and Harden, or he'd be fired
    Harden: got his buddy, and they get along
    Westbrook: reunited with his buddy, loved to play with him, so at least no big issues with chemistry from a relational view
    Overall: if the opportunity presents itself and you have to chose between a player, younger, stronger, healthier MVP type, and another player who is old, lost a big step, is injury prone, you'd go with the first player.
    The risk? : not working and losing.
    But to me, I'd rather see my favorite team lose with Westbrook trying even if bricking, than with Paul not even able to beat his man off the dribble.
    PS: I'm not a Westbrook fan at all, but in life and in business, you have to take some risks, sometimes they can be big, but get stronger or die trying
    Enjoy the offseason clutchfans

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't see the high risk aside from the draft picks. The Rockets were locked into a horrible contract with CP3 that was gonna run until he was 37. Westbrook's deal will be up when he's 34. Yes, Westbrook is far more reliant on athleticism than CP3 was, but let's not act like CP3 had completely adjusted his game to account for his age. Part of his offense was driving to the hoop or getting separation from his defender and shooting that midrange jumper. He couldn't effectively do either last season and his 3-point shooting took a dip as well. Plus the fact that you have to price in a minimum of 20-25 games missed due to injury along with a better than coinflip's chance he'll get hurt in the playoffs.

The way I see it, the Rockets will be much better this season(provided they fill out the bench and replace Bzdelik) and still very good next year. It's after Russ and Harden are around 33 that I'd start to worry. But I'll still take that over a 34 year-old declining CP3 this season who's only gonna get worse over the next 3 years.

Is Westbrook a bad shooter? Yes. But you can alter the system so he fits better. Sure, Gordon, Rivers, Harden, House, Green, Clark, and Tucker(and whomever else they add) can spot up and take 3's that are set up by Russ. But it's incumbent upon D'Antoni and Morey to diversify the offense. Westbrook's pullup 18-footer is his best shot. Utilize that. Run more in the open court. As good as Steven Adams is, Capela is a much better target for Westbrook at the rim.

I was iffy on the trade when the news first broke, but the mere fact that they're better talentwise this upcoming season is reason enough to give it a thumbs up.

jboslett likes this.
  13. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I didn't like Chris Paul but I understood why trading for him was a good idea. I don't like Westbrook but I do like getting rid of Paul at this stage in his career with that contract. I am happy I won't see another play where Chris Paul brings the ball up, jumps up, turns sideways with his butt sticking out hoping a player behind him brushes it in hopes for a foul.

Easy likes this.
  14. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Westbrook + Oladipo didn't work
    Westbrook + PG didn't work
    Westbrook (1st in usage rate) + Harden (2nd in usage rate) ???

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Westbrook and George didn't have enough shooters around them. Plus George was hurt late last season.

s3ts likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry guys, I'm going to take Vegas odds, trade made the team better across all books. I might not personally be a fan, but Vegas is a lot better judge than most of us on here, including the media. Haha

RocketJedi and s3ts like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No.

It's not that CP3 will regain a semblance of his 2017/8 performance, although I was hoping that his injuries and diet change played a part and he would be much more prepared come 2019/20 season. We will never know now.

It's about the picks they gave up, but as a fan, I'm happy they took a big gamble.

It's mostly about system and fit, and win-now mode.

They both are ball dominate guards that need the ball to excel. Either one of them have to play off-guard a significant amount of time or they don't play together for a significant amount of time (WB as the greatest 6-man ever?) Harden simply isn't going to play off-guard. That leaves WB playing that role and he is a terrible willing 3-pt shooter.

I don't see the Rockets making drastic changes to a system that was tailor made for Harden. You could also said made for WB.

I think where the Rockets can be best with WB and Harden is WB playing the 6th man role, Harden playing off-guard when both are on the court (i.e. late in game), AND WB taking very selective 3pt shots. Don't see this happening.

18. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets gave up two first and two swaps to dump Paul. The fact they got a good player in return is a miracle. Remember, if WestBrook doesn't work out, they can always trade him. It's a deal they had to make.

s3ts likes this.
  19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

WB has Kobe's intensity. Guys like that play with an edge and the only percentage they know is 100%. This will rub off well on Harden who is much more lackadaisical.

I love this trade, even with the known negatives that WB has.

20. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Westbrook is not a perfect player -- *however*, I think he only needs to make one change in his game.

Stop taking contested 3s. That's what drives his percent down quite a bit. Westbrook will never be a great 3-pt shooter, but if he ONLY takes open 3s then I would be fine with that. The problem is he jacks up way too many contested 3s

I'm not sure what was up with his FT% last season, that needs to be improved.

As for CP3 I disagree with you. Of course less of his game is reliant upon athleticism, but still *some* of it is. I absolutely saw a reduction in him getting separation on drives to the basket. When he was with the Clippers, I remember he could still drive past defenders pretty easily. This season it was harder for him to get separation on drives