1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joseph Young (Sleeper PG Candidate)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ballplayer, Mar 22, 2015.

1. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I'm liking what this kid brings to the table. Sure handle(nothing spectacular), Wet Jumper, Plays off the ball well(which is a requirement with Harden), Can create own shot, Tough and smart Houston kid with pro player roots. Also a lefty. I would take a flyer on him with a late 1st or early 2nd round draft pick.

2. Progs

Progs Member

He was compared to Steph Curry out of High School. Great shot. I would definitely take him in the 2nd round. Low risk-High reward.

3. basketballholic

Isn't that Michael Young's son?

And speaking of sleepers.............has anyone seen Corey Walden play?

4. PhiSlammaJamma

A descendant of Phi-Slamma Jamma. His destiny is set in stone.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

another guard that too small to play sg and is not really a pg. decent player though but will still be tough to latch on a nba roster. btw he's not a lefty.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I remember Michael Young very well with Phi Slama Jama. This is really my first look at his son. The three-point percentages and volume look good... I wonder about his defense. My first reaction would be that he seems to make for a better sixth man type, but we'll see. Not as small as Aaron Brooks (who also went to Oregon), but kind of reminds me of him.

[youtube]Vczml8XjQ7k[/youtube]

7. basketballholic

You can definitely tell his daddy taught him to shoot.

R-A-I-N-B-O-W

8. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

his form is smooth..but can he drive and dish? orchestrate plays? play D?

9. CertifiedTroll

I would like him with a second round pick.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Why not go for Mariota? If we want to go with a duck I think no other NBA team is considering him. We know he can pass the ball, we know he can run all day, true he doesn't play defense but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Mariota baby! Woo!

11. basketballholic

Seriously, check out Corey Walden.

12. Granville

Granville Member

Does he lift, bro?

13. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

PG? I think he is a SG

14. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

He has been SG most of his life but in our Harden driven offense I think he just needs to be able to run the offense in spots. Main thing is being another perimeter shot/offense creator, and a floor spacer. I'm not sure about his defense either but as a rookie the Rockets and his dad will tell him that's how you get on the floor. Clutch I think 6th man is good place for him I can't think we would bring back JET or Pablo maybe even Patbev at this point.

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Really like this kid. Wouldn't mind using the second round pick on him but I feel someone in the late-first round may bite and draft him.

16. leungevity

leungevity Member

I live in Eugene so I saw him live a few times, and I do like his game quite a bit. I really hope he can become a more consistent shooter as he can be quite streaky. If I was to compare him with Aaron Brooks since I saw them both live, I would say Joseph is not as skilled of a player as AB. Brooks also have him beat on quickness, but not too many guards can keep up with Aaron's quickness. Both are shoot first point guards who are also decent passers and I hope Young can improve his passing after he enters the league. For how tall Young is, I also thought he could be a better defender. I do think if we can grab him in the second round, we should seriously consider it.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Eddie House? That 40 inch vertical is impressive.

18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I played against him in high school when he was on that undefeated Yates team.

He's not a lefty though OP. But I understand how you can confuse him for a lefty. He goes left a lot! But Clutch is right on with the Aaron Brooks comparison, he's more of a scoring guard rather than a playmaker. He's one of those guys that's really a shooting guard in a "point guard's" body. In other words, He gets buckets.

It would be cool for him to get drafted by the hometown team.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Corey Walden is a border line D league player. He has some talent but nothing elite. Isn't that your rule you must do something elite. At least Young's shooting and handles are elite. I would take George De paula head and shoulders over him. I would also take Cory Hawkins and Trevor Lacey. Trevore Lacey does everything walden a little better and he plays defense and has more size.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This guy continues to be my favorite for our second round pick if DM decides to keep it.