1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan downplays potential comeback. . .

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocksMillenium, May 21, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This is the first time that Jordan has seriously commented on a potential comeback:

<A Href="http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0521/1202112.html">Jordan refutes Barkley's comments</a>

WASHINGTON -- On the day his Washington Wizards won the NBA draft lottery, Michael Jordan downplayed the possibility of a comeback, saying back spasms have slowed his conditioning regimen.

Speaking on a cell phone from the 12th fairway of a golf course -- no, he didn't watch Sunday's lottery -- Jordan said he had not worked out for a week.

"Right now, I've been focusing on my job," said Jordan, the Wizards' president of basketball operations. "My back has been giving me some problems. Myself has been secondary. Right now, I'm not even thinking about it.

"I just had some back spasms. With age, that happens. I had them when I was playing."

The five-time league MVP also refuted recent statements by Charles Barkley, who recently said he was going to move in to Jordan's Chicago home so the two could train together for simultaneous comeback bids with the Wizards.

"We all know Charles, and sometimes his motor gets running," Jordan said. "We have not talked about him working out with me or me working with him. That's just Charles being Charles."

Jordan said he did work out with Barkley recently on a trip to Arizona. Both former stars have been dropping weight with an eye on possible comebacks, and Barkley has said the pair will announce their decision in late June, which would coincide with the June 27 draft date.

Jordan did not address whether his own status would affect the Wizards' selection, although new head coach Doug Collins has said it would. Jordan did not say which golf course he was playing Sunday. He said he made it a point not to watch the lottery because he didn't want to get too excited about it.

The Wizards, who had the third-worst record last season, had never moved up on lottery day before. They haven't had the first overall selection since 1961, when the expansion Chicago Packers chose Walt Bellamy two years before moving to the Baltimore-Washington area.

"This pick sets the tone for our rebuilding," Jordan said. "We really have to be careful with this."

Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA titles, sandwiched around a brief retirement to play baseball, before retiring a second time before the strike-shortened 1999 season. He joined the Wizards front office in January 2000.

It's strange, that Jordan is talking about rebuilding. I wonder if he either 1.) Has serious doubt about coming back or 2.) Never seriously considered comeback. Interesting. Back spasms can send a message to you in a hurry though! [​IMG]

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I never did and still don't believe Jordan ever had any intention of coming back. I think it a curious phenomenon that the rumor has gone on so long that people accept it as fact. You could argue that the fact that Jordan hasn't said it's a lie means it's true, but I don't believe it.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

3. cson

cson Contributing Member

www.expage.com/pleasemikeno

------------------
    C-son
    --------------
    "When life gives you lemons, Shut up and eat the lemons!" - Harry Solomon

4. Steve_Francis_rules

I really hope he doesn't come back.

------------------

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

6. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

All this comeback talk could just be a marketing ploy by Jordan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the Wizards season tickets sales gone up significantly since the rumors started?

------------------

7. Major

Major Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the Wizards season tickets sales gone up significantly since the rumors started?

This actually could be a business thing too. If I'm Jordan, I announce that I am coming back. The value of the franchise that I co-own skyrockets. I sell my share of the franchise. I make lots and lots of money.

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

If this is true, it could be construed as fraud. If Jordan sells his shares of the Wizards, then he makes lots of money and it will be time to call Joe Friday.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't want him to come back,but I really think he wants to play again because he is a great competitor.

------------------

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Juan,

I thought the same thing, too, until I watched his interview with Ahmad Rashad in which he said the chances of him coming back were greater than they were before and he would re-evaluate based upon how his weight-loss/training progressed. I think he has/had intentions of coming back if the body was willing. As a matter of fact he said in the interview (praphrasing) that if he could come back at a level acceptable to his standards, it would be something to consider.

------------------
    "If a nuclear bomb dropped on earth, two things would
    survive: roaches and David Falk." -- Kevin McHale quote courtesy of Patricia Bender's website.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think he thought he was coming back, then caught some of the WC Finals on TV, and decided he didn't want to be embarassed next year.

12. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

A true competitor does not worry about getting embarassed or what others think.

If he comes back, good for him.
    If he gets embarassed, that's too bad, but at least he tried which is more than I can say for most people who are afraid of failure.