1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonas Valanciunas just destroyed all the teams in U-19 World Championship

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Jul 10, 2011.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Lithuanian team have won a U-19 FIBA World Championship just a half an hour ago and Jonas V just.... Well, he destroyed all the opponent teams and score 36 points in a final game (alongside with 8 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals).

Another reason to say that Cavs made a huge mistake by drafting Thompson over this guy

Average stats in WC:

23 points + 14 rebounds + 3.3 blocks + 1 assist + 0.8 assists in nine games with a line of 60-100-81.4 (he had a one three pointer in the tournament)

So sad we weren't able to draft him

2. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

He also had 30+15+4 game against team USA earlier

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

From what I've seen (and I've tried my best to find footage leading up to the draft), the guy pretty much looks like a stiff whose game is almost entirely dependent on him being taller than anyone else. That won't be the case nearly as much in the NBA.

But, I hope I'm wrong. I'm always in favor of adding more skilled centers to the league.

4. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

And he was named MVP, of course

First in scoring, rebounding, blocks and double-doubles also

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

SMH at the Cavs. Gilbert is an idiot.

6. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

fixed. my bad

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I read somewhere that the Rockets believed there as a center in this past draft who was going to be a true franchise center for some team. I can only assume it was in reference to this guy.

8. YaosDirtyStache

[​IMG]

9. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Well, he didn't destroy Croatia and Serbia, at all. You're just making it up.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Here are highlights from the Team USA against Lithuainia game.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AynrlVhIrqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jonas takes it to the face at 2:00 mark. lol

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Did Donuts play?

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nahh. I think he is too old.

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

14. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

lol. yeah.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

16. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Wow, so I just read the post again after quoting and actually think you might be serious after reading the second part. If you are...

The guy is 6'11" for christ's sake....that isn't like some 7'4" monster who just lurches around in the paint. I'm sure he has consistently played against guys his own height who were not only similar in stature, but were older and more experienced as professionals. And if you are going to try the "weak league, those guys were stiffs too" defense...than how do you explain his utter dominance over an entire tournament of players his same age. Once again, reminding you that there were plenty of other guys at the same height or within a couple inches (taller or shorter) throughout the tournament, including the US who I think you have to be aware isn't bringing around any stiffs to play basketball. Like I said, it isn't like he is half a foot taller out there. Look what he did to guys the same age and relative height as him....

Also, stiffs don't show up every game like he just did. If you are a big, slow stiff, you might show a couple dominant games because rebounds happen to be falling into your arms or both teams had poor shooting nights which fed you rebounds and easy buckets...but not over a whole tournament. Also, you would be the lone opinion over all the experts in the world on his negatives...as not one person has ever mentioned his lack of athleticism, relative to his height. In fact, it is pretty much the exact opposite.

Also, stiffs don't have good shooting form.

Also, stiffs don't do this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqRvRbyaHE

Doesn't look like he just was "entirely dependent on him being taller than anyone else" on that play, does it?

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Supposedly Morey was going after this guy. From the looks of it Jonas will be an impact player in the league.

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Makes me believe the Rockets took the correct Lithuanian national team frontcourt player.

19. Spankie

Spankie Member

ugh, first thing that comes into my head when someone says donut in terms of bassketball is Bonzi Wells. 0_0

1 person likes this.
  20. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Actually, Valanciunas is 7 feet, not 6-11. Valanciunas is what he is at this point. At the Euroleague level (not the high school/college level like the under-19 tournament) he was OK on offense, good at rebounding, and horrible on defense.

I have no doubt that he will become a very good player and he would be a good draft pick for any team that took him. But, his defense at the top pro levels at this point needs tons of work. He is still a project, although I do think he will become a really nice player.

But he is going to have to improve his interior defense a lot.