1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Singleton waived

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kaleidosky, Nov 19, 2016.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

finally. I'm happy about this...seems unlikely to be claimed, but we save on his contract if he is. Win-win as a 1st roster spot to clear

#1 kaleidosky, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

3. raining threes

I'm glad Luhnow admits his mistakes and moves on from turds like Singleton. This guy got his money and laid down like the dog he is.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Forgot he was even still on the 40 man.So this was a pretty easy spot to clear.

The contract was a small calculated risk, it didn't work out. I'm not gonna pile on Singleton for not being good enough.

awc713 likes this.
  5. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

His potential was just like the buttons above the logo of his jersey: there for the taking but untouched by Jon.

bobmarley, bobrek and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

And all those ppl who criticized him and the Astros for signing that contract before he made the majors where are they now? It just shows it's still a risk. That contract helped the player. He made the right call to get the money when he could.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Quick, someone get Bud Norris on the line!

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can I have Hunter Pence back? ;)

Hunter Pence: Traded with cash to the Philadelphia Phillies for Jarred Cosart, Jon Singleton, Domingo Santana and Josh Zeid.

In the end: Pence for Martes, Marisnick, Moran, Cameron & Fiers

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Hopefully that teaches a lesson about prospects. That deal was nearly universally praised for the Astros return and not one of those prospects directly amounted to anything. #endsantiprospecthoardingsoapbox

J.R. likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

You do that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

It's like Santa's workshop around here, lot's of activity, we building stuff, and sometimes things go out for delivery so they can disappoint some other poor kid on Christmas morning.

12. E-Man

E-Man Member

THANK GOD!!! I'd take Marwin over Singelton at 1st.

13. Mattician

Mattician Member

Had a few chances and couldn't get it going. Not even mad.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Singleton was out of options and there was very very little chance of him making the opening day roster so this was inevitable. Hopefully a team out there still sees something and is willing to pick up his contract, otherwise hopefully he becomes an asset in AAA.

15. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

In before Rangers pick him up and turn him into a stud.

edwardc likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

Fast forward to April, Rangers sign him, hits .390 +30homers.:p

Singleton was one of those guys that when he took his batting stance, he had the look like something great was going to happen but 3 swings later reality would sink in, this guy just isn't a mlb hitter. When we traded Pence, it was the only time I temporarily stopped watching Astros baseball in my silent protest. Glad pence won a couple of WS but I still miss him. Springer+Pence would be the coolest socially awkward outfield of all MLB history.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The only question I have about the contract... would singleton have put any sort of increased effort to getting better had he not been paid?

It's impossible to answer that question.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Is it a coincidence that the Astros stopped handing out those kind of contracts?

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

They stopped offering those contracts to prospects that were not deserving of them. Guys like Matt Dominguez and Robbie Grossman got those offers, more for cost certainty than actual surplus value. The Singleton contract clearly shows giving those contracts to the wrong guy can still be a bust.

Those contract offers need to go to can't miss prospects or guys with some ML time/success. They tried (appropriately) to offer one to Springer. Wouldn't be surprised if Bregman was approached.

20. Major

Major Member

I would imagine every team has sports psychologists that try to evaluate inherent motivation/etc. It would be the same analysis you'd want to do before giving a player their first big free agency contract or giving someone like Correa a big 10-year extension or whatnot.

I would say yes. First off, we have no idea if they stopped offering those contracts, and second, we don't know the specifics of what types of players they offer them to, and if we have players that qualify. I think if the Astros had a similar player again, they wouldn't hesitate to give that type of contract again. When you're paying a Josh Reddick $13MM per year or a Charlie Morton $7MM per year, then $2MM a year on a potential star is absolutely worth the risk. If he doesn't pan out, it has no real impact on the team; if he does, they've locked in a player at a cheap rate for many years.