1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Barry on SR610 this morning

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, Jan 16, 2006.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

He was on today and had a few interesting things to say, so thought I would share:

- He joked around about his own injury, and the guys were teasing him that he has been out for "like 3 months for a calf injury!". Anyways, he didn't sound very sure about when he would be back, I assume he's taking it slowly so as not to reaggrevate it.

- Asked about Sura's injury -- and this was the most important part of the interview, IMO -- JB said Sura was already working out and stuff and that there was "an outside chance" he would be back before the ASG.

- Yao injury front: Said Yao was getting some type of 'special shoes' that would help with his toe injury, and that the Rockets are worried he would aggrevate it from constant physical punishment he takes down low.

- Asked about what Charles and Kenny said on TNT about how the Rockets were not a good defensive team just because they keep the scoring low, and he basically blasted those guys and especially Sir Charles, he said Charles is a "nice guy" but he really "doesn't know crap" about what he talks about; said that he saw him once during a game night on TNT walking around the arena and doing anything but pay attention to the game being played, so that when half-time or the post-game show rolls around he would know what the hell he's analyzing and making a comment about. Instead, JB said Charles is basically paid to be the clown he is, that this is what TNT basically wants him to do.

So what do you know? Sir Charles is slacking off again...this time in his new TV career...

2. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

nice, thanks for the recap

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Thanks for the recap for us out of towners

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

To be fair, Barkley does not have to watch the game to be effective, there are producers and spotters that watch it and give him updates, which he then comments on.......it is how TV works.

DD

5. lil-vic

lil-vic Member

Regardless of who helps him, i don't know how you can effectively analyze a game without watching it. Everybody knows theres a big difference from watching a game and being told about it. It's like trying to tryin to review a movie but you haven't seen it so you review from other people comment's on the movie. It doesn't work that way, esp. with basketball. Well, atleast it explains his ridiculous comments he says every night.

6. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Atleast they are still joking around in the locker room instead of feeling sorry for themselves and turning into depressed little boys which is what has happened in my personal case.

7. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Barry has great off the cuff humor.
    610 or the Rockets should hire him full time when he retires.
    He is hilarious. :D

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It shouldn't be how TV works. And it will be a great day when people who mouth off on TV are held accountable for their sloth and inattention the way players and coaches are held accountable.

You can do your part to hold them accountable, by turning off the TV during the halftime show, and telling the good folks at TNT that this is your new policy while Barkley's on the air.

9. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

ok :confused:

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ou-ch. But, true. So very true.

PS Sir Chuckles only redeeming value is my wife likes him (thus making watching more possible).

PPS This only reaffirms her poor choices when it comes to the male of the species.

11. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Haha, so you are another example? :D

12. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

lol good one

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yao needs to start endorsing those Wolverine steel toe boots...

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well I hope that he's better at that than playing basketball. If he wants to yuck it up then maybe he should be out on the standup comedy circuit instead of taking up a spot on the Rockets bench. I simply fail to see what he has found to be sooooo funny this year because what I am seeing from this team is certainly no laughing matter. :mad:

15. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Yao finally goes "street". :p

16. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Hillboy will take 2 scopes of serious to go with his grim coffee :D

Sorry I couldnt resist.

But you are right, this season is no laughing matter.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, please, give me a break! What do you expect them to do, walk around depressed? Have Angry Man Syndrome 24 hours a day? I don't know where you work, but my business fluctuates constantly- we have great days, and we have days/weeks when we have clients withdraw after making significant monetary commitments to do business with us. Believe me, NOTHING gets you through those times other than a sense of humor. Anger and sadness do absolutely nothing towards fixing the problems. It's one thing if someone is telling reporters that they don't really care how the season turns out, but having a laugh about things does not equate to not being upset about the Rockets' current situation.

Whenever I watch the Rockets play, with the exception of maybe 2 games this year, they tried hard. They didn't win, and they missed shots, and they made mistakes, but they definitely did try. If I have employees like that, I certainly give them props. If they continue to underperform, then I simply have to let them go. But that's on management. I don't fault the players at all if they try to make the best out of a bad situation.

I just feel that some individuals are getting way too wound up about this. We have 3 major sports teams in this town, and each one is going to have great seasons, bad seasons, good luck, and bad luck. It's frustrating to lose, but it's not the end-all and be-all. I am very grateful and enjoy the opportunity to watch as many games as I can, because some don't have that luxury.