1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

joined a new gym

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ynelilvs99, Dec 31, 2014.

1. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I was at LA Fitness the last 2 yrs or so, switching to 24 Hr as of today.
    Anyone else joining a gym for the new year?
    What are your goals?

My main goal is to be consistent (3x a week) while doing other activities (for the fresh air mainly), losing some weight would be kool, I am mostly doing it to prevent diabetes (genetics). Im 30 now, and thats when it shows up :eek:

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rejoining Boulder One. I begin to work out of my house starting January, so won't be biking to work anymore and need something to replace that.

This gym is two blocks from the house, so very convenient

Goals are:

1. Skiing fitness. Core work and stretching
    2. Join a stationary bike class for summer biking
    3. Cardio for health
    4. Lose 5-10 pounds
    5. Sexy time
    6. Use the awesome hot tub as much as possible. It being 2 blocks away; I can do this nightly.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm 30 too! Unfortunately at our age exercise is less and less of a deterrent to diabetes, and more and more of the burden is shifting to dietary control. I don't recommend going full paleo, which in and of itself has some nutty stipulations due to the misappropriated use of the "what would our cavemen forefathers have done?!" logic. But the literature is more and more convincing in saying that the metabolic syndrome--which is the composite of obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, triglyceridemia, insulin-resistant diabetes, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease--is caused exclusively by the societal overconsumption of carbohydrates.

I'm talking sodas, juices, sweets, but also things like cereal, bread, potatoes (ie chips and french fries), rice, tortillas, corn and all fast food products, which upon further review seem to just be congealed forms of high-fructose corn syrup. If you want to make a New Year's resolution, I would start there and make the gym a secondary commitment. You can relax your requirements for fat restriction while you're at it.

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jk, whatever gets people into healthy habits.

5. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Yes! Cutting back on carbs works wonders, even in how you feel throughout the day.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I work out at work. Best thing ever.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Meh. Going to the gym is un-American. You are either with us or against us.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Avoiding the gym for a bit, or at least going at non-peak hours to avoid the new years resolution crowd.

10. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I plan on doing the same :)
    I wake up early on the weekends and I have every other Friday off so I'm going then

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If you are worried about diabetes then watch your diet. Obviously you know this but be careful. I had a cousin that passed away in her early 30's from diabetes related complications and a poor diet. She wasn't morbidly obese either. Hope you stay healthy!

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

jesus man either diabetes gets me or I eat miserbale for the rest of my life. hmmm. I can cut out fast food and soda but everything else, is essential to happiness!

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You can eat things like bread and still be healthy, but I wouldn't eat it everyday.

14. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

That's good you are joining a gym. Hit hard every day! 80% nutrition though.. You can never out work a poor diet at the gym and when I say diet I don't mean some fad yo-yo diet. It's pretty simple. Eat fresh real whole foods. Organic.. If you can try adding raw vegan meals into your daily intake that would be awesome! Just no fast food or soda! that **** will kill you! one of my fave meal is the Mike Dolce Breakfast bowl:

Gluten Free Oat bran
    dry roasted almonds
    almond butter
    coconut flakes
    chia seeds
    banana
    blueberries
    cinnamon

try replacing one of your meals a day with that breakfast bowl. It gives you sustainable energy. Packed with protein and other good nutrients. Tastes dam good too! Very filling!

Stick with it man! another tip don't just do 4 sets of 10 you reps should be till failure! if you can do 10 reps easy add more weight or do the reps for that set till you fail! when you muscles fail you will grow and get stronger!

I started last year in NOV of 2013 I'm down 45 pounds. I back to sparring 10-15 rounds.. Biking. I have so much more energy. I feel better. I feel like a new man. I look better. I put on some muscle.

also if you can get a jack la lanne juicer and or nutribullet. Try replacing one meal a day with a big glass of fresh juice or a shake with the nutribullet.

I try to workout 3-5 times a week. 3 is the bare min! Don't ever say you don't have time either bc you do have time! Your mind and body is more important than any financial investment you will ever make!

here are some motivating videos:

Jack la lanne: FUEL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Pv_Mroue4 such a great motivating video. Jack speaks the truth!

Ultimate warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ubugJWjKA

DONT FAIL YOURSELF!

15. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member