1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Amaechi's comments about his stint with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought this deserved its own thread for the fact that it's specific Rockets "info".

I'm not sure if it's been posted or not, but in case you guys haven't read the book "Man in the Middle" yet, my copy just came in. I probably won't be able to read it until this weekend, but of course I had to look for some Rockets info. So I bring you, Rockets info :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

New [Rockets] teammates were fantastic.

Made friends with Eddie Griffin quickly. Though EG was injured most of the time he was there, he had enormous potential. He goes on to add "... I hung out with him, admiring his ability to gain perspective even when he was languishing on the injured list".

"Truly admired" JVG. He described him as a "fiery head coach who nonetheless treated his players with enormous respect." He goes on to add "I'd never met a man who took the play of his team more personally, and expected the absolute best in effort, yet never for a second doubted your good intentions."

He says the Rockets were a bad fit for him basketball-wise, however. He said he knew he wouldn't get much PT and it would take the entire front court getting hit by lightning for him to get time. He said he knew the trade was a salary dump for the Rockets and a way for Sloan and Miller to get rid of him.

Compliments JVG again by saying "To his credit, Jeff made it clear I would play sparingly".

Says that even though he was no longer getting much PT, he took advantage of the situation. It was the first time he wasn't a regular part of a rotation since his rookie year. Though he wasn't playing much, he worked his tail off in practice and the training room. He tried to keep everybody else's spirits up.

I like this quote : "I strove to keep up the spirits of everyone around me -- a critical and often overlooked responsibility of bench players, who often spend far too much time playing the victim rather than acting the loyal teammate".

Halfway through the season he was put on the injured list with a "fictitious shoulder injury".

Goes on to say Texas has a history of gaybashing and hostility toward "queers", but it also boasted pockets of tolerance and diversity. He goes on to talk about how when new players arrive, people are assigned to them to make the transition easier, find housing, etc. He was assigned a mother-daughter team he said were "lovely people", but they went out of their way to let him know they were Southern Baptists, and that "perhaps unfairly" worried him - he didn't think religion is something you should talk about when you first meet someone.

He wanted to live in the Montrose area to which the mother-daughter combo objected. I love this part :

"It's no secret gay people long have carved out the best neighborhoods of any city. The proof of this is that they are generally the safest, most culturally vibrant, and community-oriented places in any metropolitan area. Need urban regeneration? Call the gay team". lol. He goes on to praise the Montrose area. The mother-daughter team advised him against it saying that it was "not a good area". He disagreed and bought a place there anyway. The duo was disappointed in his decision, but took him out to lunch... a lunch where they talked "incessantly about the Bible".

He adds that the Bible is an "interesting piece of literature; I've been known to dip into it myself from time to time". He asked them if they had read anything else because they were acting like this was the only book ever written. They responded with "Why would we?" To which he responded "Well, for perspective, of course. How can you have an opinion if you know only one side? You have to look out more than one window to know where you stand." Amaechi said they stared at him like he was crazy. lol.

He comments on Barkley in the book and how he admires him. He adds that Barkley's a role model whether he likes it or not.

That's all I've read so far... not sure there's much else about the Rockets in there. Just from reading what I've read, he really comes off as such a nice guy, and not the typical/stereotypical "dumb jock".

#1 Dr of Dunk, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Good stuff. It's a shame about Griffin though. For a guy who was gaining perspective he sure has made a lot of mistakes in life...

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Gosh, he comes off sounding better than Timmy H.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

good stuff.
    amaechi always came off as intelligent in his interviews, though a lot of that was probably the british accent.

and yet another player comes out pro-van gundy.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I love this part. I'm a Christian myself, but to me it's insane how some hardcore conservative Christians refuse to let any other opinion surface the religion. I think that one should be open and not necessarily believe in other beliefs, but instead respect the beliefs of others and be open towards listening about their beliefs.

6. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Someone is going to be mad reading this, oh well, maybe he won't in this case. But can you guess who and why? ;)

7. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

It's hard for them to challenge the reality they have built themselves. Being so comfortable and secure in that reality, it would be a threat to consider anything else. There's some deep-seeded fear there. Might go far as to say they have been brain-washed.

But Montrose is the best part of Houston. That and the area near the McNell Collection.

8. ShakeYoHipsYao

V-Span? Because he's gay?

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Seems like an interesting read.

10. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Sounds like some of the posters here we have at Clutchfans.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm pretty comfortable and secure in the reality that this debate is in the wrong forum... please take that part to the D&D.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He didn't seem intelligent because of his accent. He seemed intelligent because he is very intelligent.

This is yet another ringing endorsement for JVG from a player. I have yet to hear otherwise. It seems to me that if a player doesn't get along with JVG, it's probably the player's fault.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ah, c'mon!!!! :D

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

My bad Clutch, I certainly don't mean to start a debate or anything, I'll just express my thoughts better next time.

15. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Where's Yetti...

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

You mean the Menil Collection?

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Great stuff, all of it.

The people who brushed this guy off should actually take the time to truly listen.

Thanks.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

No. The Nell Carter Collection. Duh.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well it was mostly a joke, but regardless of his acual intelligence, the accent doesn't hurt him.

yeah the idea that player's hate van gundy, or he's some kind of tyrant has had no legs to stand on for a while now.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Gimme a break, that's a huge collection!