1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Johnson - "We could care less if they show up"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets934life, May 8, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/johnson-on-unhappy-fans-522943.html?printArticle=y

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ah, both parties are at fault here.

The fans should not boo players, unless the players are actively trying to throw the game.

Johnson just has bad games.

But OTOH, players should never say they don't want fans to come to games. Where do the players think all their millions come from?

3. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Does Johnson know that without the fans, he wouldn't have a paycheck? :confused:

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Um, what? In a playoff series, when your team has gotten badly blown out three games in a row? Heck yeah I'm booing - I wouldn't expect a seven game series between the Lakers and the Nets to have three straight as awful massacres as these have been.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why is that? This makes no sense at all. Basically you are saying fans should NEVER boo the home team. Can you read a players mind to determine if they are "actively trying to throw the game"? How many times have you decided players were actively trying to throw a game?

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

By actively trying to throw the game, I meant not giving a flipping heck about what is going on. Body language, etc.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Just leave the game. You think booing is going to solve the problems?

If you're disgusted, just leave, turn off the TV, whatever.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't watch, but did the Hawks players act as if they cared much? I think losing by 30 points at home answers that question and the fans were very much justified in booing them, including JJ. I've defended him from some of the unfair pounding he's gotten here, but now I'm beginning to wonder myself.

The Hawks should have been booed off the floor when the game ended.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Does cheering "solve problems"? Fans have every right to express how they feel about the home team (or road team). At one's house, you're right, turn off the TV. But after paying and going to the trouble of attending a game, fans should boo a team when they perform pathetically beneath their capability.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Pfft, to be honest, I didn't even know GM 3 was on today. That's how much I don't care about that series.

But what is the justification of booing a team? If a team is blown out, that means that their effort wasn't good enough, or that they became lazy / gave up.

If the effort wasn't good enough, why would booing be justified? OKC lost, but the crowd didn't boo them.

If the team gave up on the game, I'll boo them until they get in their cars and drive away. But if the effort simply was overmatched, then I wouldn't cheer, but I wouldn't boo either.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Poor reversal. Booing creates problem. Cheering might not solve them, but it sure doesn't create them.

12. Mr. Space City

i'd boo the rockets if they played with the effort that the hawks played with today.

it's not about losing.
    it's not about losing when you are clearly outclassed.

but when you don't even try. that is grounds for booing.

the fans pay good money to come and watch and cheer the home team and when you decide to not even bring forth effort then you are slapping the face of every fan in that arena.

booing is just tough love to give the team more of a wake up call to tell them the fans dont appreciate the effort they just shown.

1 person likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

When did I say cheering will solve problems?

And does booing get you your money back? Does it get you the time you spent attending the game back? No. So why not go home, instead of wasting your time there booing?

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed completely in bold. If the team just flat out comes out flat (pun), then I'll boo until my throat hurts.

Honestly, I think the Hawks have flat out given up on this series. If I was a Hawks fan, I'd boo.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Someone with this type of attitude . . . .

[​IMG]

Rocket River

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Johnson definitely should not have said that.

Contract year + trying to market yourself = something Johnson can't do well.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I have been down on Johnson ever since he decided that he didn't want to play with Steve Nash and Amare and win a title. Moron.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can't remember that far back, but was Johnson offered lots of money as a FA back then?

19. AGBee

AGBee Member

Joe Johnson is mentally weak.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There ya go. Their fans were not at fault.

I feel bad for B4L and other Hawks fans because the players on that team are so schizo.

BMoney, don't you remember the 5yrs/$45MM vs. 5yrs/$50MM issue the summer before JJ left the Suns? If Sarver wasn't such a cheapskate, he wouldn't have left. When he became unrestricted, JJ did what 100% of NBA players do when they have a chance at their first big contract: He took the money and ran. Blame Sarver, not JJ. The Hawks offered him WAY more than the Suns would dream of paying.