1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Job Interview

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Highwire, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Highwire

Highwire Member

I've been through a couple of interviews and when it came to the point where the interviewer asked me if I have questions, I asked them about the job description for more details, that's it. That's all I care about.

Then I came to know that they all passed on me because I didn't ask a lot of questions.

What do you normally ask during a job interview?

Thanks.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

If you were a tree,what kind of tree would you be?

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Depends on the job. What kind of job are you interviewing for?

4. Highwire

Highwire Member

do you ask that question to the interviewer?

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

ask about a typical day. how would they describe the management. what is the overall mood of the workplace.

6. Highwire

Highwire Member

IT Dev.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Always ask how long it takes to get promoted. Makes them think you want to be there for the long haul (even if you don't) and it makes them think you are a go-getter (even if you aren't).

8. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

ask them what kind of mobo's do they run? How about what's the screen resolution of the workstations?

Tell them that u can't work on anything less than 2 gigs of ram, a sli/crossfire of the top vcards out there, with of course a dual core cpu.

MMMMMmmmmmmmm and ask if they need they are going to need u to come in on saturday.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Of course...managers love all that philosophical type stuff. Also, ask him if he thinks VSpan should get more playing time. It's a risky question, but if he's a Rockets fan and you start talking Rockets basketball for an hour, you'll be pretty much guaranteed to get the job.

10. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Follow what Ima and Macalu said. Show interest in the job and they'll have an interest to hire you.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Ask them what's the one thing they like the most about working there.

Once they answer that, ask them how long it will be before they make a decision.

Question #1 will vault you to the top of their list, I guarantee. It shows an enthusiasm for wanting to work there.

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Ask him if he would like to see naked pics of your girlfriend.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is a big one. If nothing else, at least you'll know how much time you have to spend in limbo waiting to hear back from them.

In my job hunting days, I used to forget this one and I would be in HELL for the next 2 weeks.

14. Highwire

Highwire Member

This kind of question has givien me a lot of ideas what to ask. :).. thanks.

15. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

That's a good one. I find asking the interviewer their experience w/ the company, how they got started, and how they got to their position, are good questions. Ditto macalau and drummer's suggestions. Basically if you can get the interviewer to talk for a good amount of time it will help.

Almost like meeting women. Everyone likes to talk about themselves, the more you allow them to open up the more likely they'll like you. ;)

16. Highwire

Highwire Member

I feel lucky today.

got a phone call from one of the companies who interviewed me and they want to set up again a second interview. this time with their CIO.

I told them that I already have an offer from another company so I said to them that I'll pass on them.

Payback time. :D..

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You can thank me later when you get that job...

Interview Tips

Performing well in interviews is one of the most important aspects of a successful job search. Here are some helpful hints for making a solid first impression on a prospective employer:

* Don't sell yourself short by being too embarrassed to list all your best assets—if you've got a nice ****, you've got a nice ****.
    * When answering interview questions, allude frequently to "secret identity," "important work done outside the office," and "boy sidekick."
    * Wink knowingly throughout the interview.
    * The only way to make a résumé better? Make it bigger! Have it printed on oversize oak tag board.
    * Impress upon the interviewer that you are an aggressive, ambitious self-starter by knocking him unconscious.
    * Arrive at interview bedecked with diamonds and emeralds from head to toe.
    * No matter how "important" the interviewer makes him/herself out to be, refuse to talk to that person, saying you want the "head honcho" only.
    * Before putting on interview suit, douse self liberally with Polo cologne, then drink remaining contents of bottle.
    * Upon sitting down for interview, tell the person, "Go ahead, shut the door, I won't scream rape."
    * Ask the interviewer: "Confidentially, who is your greatest enemy within the company?" Then kill that person to prove your loyalty.
    * Bring radio remote control to interview, and offer to employer—explain that they can use it to control your every deed.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38404

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've only interviewed for 3 jobs in my whole life that I didn't get an offer and two were because my salary expectations were too high and I didn't know the technology well enough. The third was because I didn't really want the job but someone convinced me to interview for the sake of it.

Here is my advice for people.

1.Get the interviewer talking. Get them involved in a converstation. The longer the interview lasts the better chance you have of landing the job. The interviewer won't talk very long if they don't like you. I had one inteviewer talk about his family and career for an whole hour once.

2. Asks lots of intelligent questions. The more pertinent questions you ask, the more the interviewer will think you understand the challenges of the job.

3. Use examples of things in other areas that you have done or were involved with that relate to the job.

A boss can only get a few things from and interview.

If you understand what the job entails.
    Your technical compentancy to a certain extent.
    If they like you on a personal level.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I typically ask a ton of questions...nothing earth shattering, but more on how the company is run, what a normal day like, competition, etc...

if all else fails, Make up crap...

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

After you done these for a while, you will be good at making up craps, trust me on this.