1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Redick to the Sixers - one year, $23M

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, Jul 1, 2017.

1. dischead

dischead Member

Poor guy..

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Damn. Redick is too good and young to be going to the East.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Trolloz

The East needs some players. Donations for the East!

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I agree but Lebron needs some real competition in the east for once.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

How does 1 year contract help them develop a winning culture and how does a vet help in player devt? Is reddick gonna provide the leadership Simmons and co. need?

You know the risks with Embiid so how can you say they don't need more lottery picks? They need more picks so they can have a better core this is just colangelos being dumb AF. Is reddick good enough to lift them to playoffs? No? Then why do the deal when they can absorb salaries for picks its just dumb mgt there is no logic to this move at all.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Chinese league needs them too, and it's more competitive and pays well ! he should've gone there. i feel sorry for the guy, still in his prime, way too good and good looking for such an ending.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Absorbed contracts are only packaged with good picks when they are really bad and bleed into future seasons.

I know you don't seem to realize this, but you don't go from lottery team to contender in one season, you need actual quality NBA players. Will JJ help them compete for a title, no. Will he help them get to .500 and the playoffs, possibly. So they head into 18-19 as a winning team with some playoff experience, and a f**k ton of cap space to add players to take them to the next tier. A 20 something draft pick will likely not help them as much as making the playoffs in 2018 will.

And FWIW, they still have cap space to absorb a contract if they want to..plenty of it actually.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For this year at least, they have to bet the farm that Embiid and Simmons are the future. It's time for them to start trying. Sixers will make the playoffs in the East just by showing up so a high lottery pick isn't going to happen. Their tanking days are over.

It's also possible they are an attractive FA destination next year. Redick's contact plays into that.

10. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

A good vet deal? Stfu he's white, you're white so Everythings alright. But people claim On tucker deal is too rich. Hypocrites

Bennie Anders likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

So do you believe in the mediocrity treadmill? Because that's what you are advocating here, hey let's use our capspace to get a vet so we can suck less and maybe make the playoffs and maybe get our ass handed to us. Absorbed contracts only get picks when they are really bad and bleed into future seasons? What about Jeremy Lin, was he a bad contract when he was traded? There are lots of teams right now who want to dump their players to secure free agents, a good example are the Rockets who want to dump Ryan Anderson. Anderson is a horrible contract for the Rockets, but in the grand scheme of things how bad is he really compared to JJ ****ing Reddick? Lots of teams would probably take him if they are like the Sixers who have capspace and they receive additional assets like picks or good young players in return.

Next tier? Really? How much NBA experience do Fultz, Simmons and Embiid have together? Because IIRC OKC under KD took like 5 years before they reached playoffs, now you have Sixers planning for the "next tier" with none of their guys having legit NBA experience right now? LMAO.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why do they need to "bet the farm" though? Embiid, Simmons and Fultz have less than 1 year of combined NBA exp together, why do they need to rush things and bet the farm when their rookies haven't even played a single game? It doesn't make any sense both from a strategic and financial standpoint, what are the odds of a team with 3 rookies battling various injuries making the playoffs? I know East is weak AF but seriously speaking you think a team with Embiid, Simmons and Fultz will make the playoffs thanks to Reddick?

Which is stronger 2nd year Kevin Durant, rookie Westbrook and 2nd year Jeff Green or 2nd year Embiid, rookie Simmons and rookie Fultz? Cuz I remember OKC being one of the worst teams in the league and their core back then seems a lot more NBA ready than Sixers' core now.

13. pocketrocket81

Redick gets paid serious money for one year then goes to super team next year at a discount. It all evens out for him. Question is where does the super team form?

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'll never understand people who say this move is a good one, I think it is horrible and shows that new Sixers FO suck balls.

One poster here in CF said that to be a good team you need to be on the extremes, if you're not planning to be really good then you should be really bad to get picks. That's OKC did to build their core, they were a laughing stock for a couple of years AND they started with Kevin Durant, Green and tons of capspace. They compiled top picks and while they whiffed on some of those, they were still able to get Durant, Ibaka, Westbrook and Harden before they got good enough to make noise. Same thing with GSW, they compiled picks and got Curry, Thompson, Barnes and Green as part of their rebuilding process. Now the argument is "The Process" under sixers has been going on for some time now, but the thing is Sixers were unlucky they didn't get the top pick despite sucking for several years until last year and their picks were kinda bad because Hinkie envisioned a long rebuilding process.

Sixers still don't know if they have a franchise star on their team, why are they stopping trying to tank? Embiid IMHO won't have a long career, no matter how talented he is it doesn't matter if he will only have a couple healthy years. Simmons and Fultz are huge unknowns. So getting Reddick IMHO is just the wrong thing to do, it's not the worst thing in the world but it is a waste of their cap space. I don't know how you guys see Reddick but I put him on the same level as Ariza, and Ariza on the Sixers won't do much it'll just get them a lower pick in the draft. I can totally see the Lakers getting another core piece in next year's draft and then signing Paul George while people will complain how the NBA is rigged. Well it is rigged because the dumb teams hire dumb FOs who do dumb moves like these. My prediction is Sixers still don't make the playoffs next year, it's gonna be impressive if they do considering their two core guys have not played an NBA game.

What could have the Sixers done with their cap instead? What comes to my mind instantly are the Cavs, they were looking to trade away Frye and Shumpert so they can resign Korver or better FAs (Chris Paul?). Why couldn't Sixers take those two guys for picks? In terms of winning contribution Shumpert+Frye would probably eclipse Reddick by himself so if Sixers really wanted to instill a winning culture why not get those guys? Later on when their contracts age Sixers can then flip them for more assets, Shumpert and Frye are still productive players and Frye specifically has a very team friendly deal.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he is a better and more efficient shooter than Ariza. Of course he played with Chris Paul......it made his shooting look good.

You are right he isn't a pure scorer so his numbers will fluctuate around 14-16 ppg. He can up it to 17 ppg on a bad team.

Not the right guy for this team but will improve them for sure.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lulz, I'm not white. Not sure what that has to do with anything though. I also have no problems with the Tucker deal, you're going at the wrong person.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Racism is making you upset at random people and causing you to think that Tucker and Redick have similar games. It's time to let racism go, boss.

(The Redick deal is way too rich, in my opinion.)

18. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Hate to re-post, but Philly was BELOW THE MINIMUM. They MUST give the money to someone. Redick in right place at right time.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Forget OKC. I thought people had finally given up using them as a way to build a team.

Sixers will make the playoffs because the EC is sorry, with or without Redick. It's time to stop being a nursery. It's time to remove the poisonous culture of losing on purpose and actually give a care.

Since when is trying to win "rushing things"? What planet are you from? They were complete and utter trash for 3 straight seasons. Last year they finally showed some bite and they should continue that arc. There is no rushing going on.

Sixers don't need more lottery picks. They have plenty of youth to develop.

Nimo likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

How about Fultz and Simmons play an NBA game first before the Sixers try to win? 3 years isn't a long time, ok forget okc how many years did GSW take to get good from the year Curry was drafted? And what bite are you talking about? You mean when they showed so much bite they got a top 3 pick and one of the worst records in the league?

Lol ok stop being a nursery when Fultz and Simmons haven't even played a game, its like the baby isn't even born yet you want the fetus to go to school wtf. There is no rushing going on when both guys haven't even stepped on the court yet sixers already want to make the playoffs. This is ridiculous. What are they gonna do in the playoffs as an 8th seed? Is getting swept by the cavs supposed to instill a culture of winning? How do you even know Simmons and Fultz are gonna be Lebron level superstars from day 1, cuz even rookie Kat or rookie KD couldn't get their team to the playoffs?