1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Redick said he was on the verge of joining Rockets, but HOU changed 4-year offer to 3-year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Aug 5, 2017.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

Would much, much rather have Tucker with how weak our defense was last year and since we already have Gordon.

D-rock likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maury tends to sign him when he is 3 years older.... always.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don't know but I would trade for Steph, Wall, or Westbrook in a heartbreak

4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Good we didn't sign him. We would've been in Ryno 2.0 situation next off-season.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good. Why would you want to sign a 4-year deal with a 33-year-old guy?

6. rockets13champs

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

So he took 1 year Max money with Philly so he can resign in Houston next year for 2 or 3 yr mle

Sooty likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We wanted PJ Tucker more.

9. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Ok top 10

mac_got_this likes this.
  10. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

kind of funny he didn't get 4, got 3 instead, so he passed on 2 and took 1.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

12. rockets13champs

It's still summer yet he throwing shade...
    Mr. irrelevant

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I also pointed this out in the original Redick interview thread, icymi

fwiw: Redick talked to both MDA and his agent in a span of 30 minutes around lunchtime on July 1st. After talking to MDA and learning of the 3yr deal vs 4, his agent says to him, "I think we need to jump on this Philly deal." Redick replies, "I need more time. Like 10 hours or so to discuss with wifey." His agent says, "I think they need an answer within the hour."

Redick then signed at 2:08pm, July 1st
    PJ Tucker signed at 10:32pm, July 1st

This is why I'm convinced the Redick deal was a 3-yr version of Tucker's MLE deal. Morey was at the ready. The $23m Philly game Redick is slightly lower to the total pay of the 3yr version of Tucker's MLE. A 4th would have netted Redick an additional $12m or so.

Deuce, DreamShook, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  14. photojoe

photojoe Member

Interesting debate.

I get it, but I completely disagree about Westbrook. And Wall, really? I guess because of his age?

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

4 years at the price we we're likely giving him, no thanks. Dude would have been 37 making 15 mill per.

16. heypartner

It was for the MLE that we gave Tucker. We were unable to pay him more. How do you propose paying him more after we went over the cap to get Paul, while needing to hold on to trade assets to get Melo?

Besides, at $15m/yr, he would have signed for 3 for sure....that's double Philly's offer.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Of course we'll be eager to give a 4 or 5 year deal to a 33 year-old Chris Paul next summer.:D

Easy likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

S&T with all of our tradable NG contracts(at the time) + Onuaku could have added up to around a starting salary of 11-13 mill I believe. With added salary increases it think it could have reached like 14-15 mill for the 4th yer.

MLE would have been a steal even at 4 years. I would have taken him at that over Tucker (with the Moute signing).

19. heypartner

There was no Sign n Trade. Redick was being offered the Tucker MLE. Besides, no way he turns down the $40m total salary you seem to say for 3yrs. He's all over that. Have you listened to all the Podcasts he's done about this?

Redick never once mentioned that. For the NG Bros to work, we'd be taking on roughly $5m more salary than sending out....that's the added value of the NG Bros. That $5m is what we need for Melo. It would be really careless of Morey to do a SnT that took on $5m in salary, before Melo ... since we are hardcapped.

Again, at no point in time has Redick ever mentioned a SnT. And he's all over $40m/3yrs anyhow.

#39 heypartner, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

JJ is a SG. He would have grumbled with a limited role in Houston. Tucker and Luc give us valuable defense, and some scoring too.

jch1911 likes this.