1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmy Butler Watch 2018-2019

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Sep 15, 2018.

1. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

Maybe I missed it but, has Jimmy Butler ever expressed any desire to be a Rocket?

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Don't count out NY Knicks making an offer. With the idea of having Butler "in hand" to help make a Kyrie pitch next summer.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Is it really so?
    Maybe who knows call me paranoid but I think Kat wants to leave Minny and he just found an excuse to make him look like the good guy.
    And Butler has already realised it and is not going to resign.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I guess everything is possible, but at the same time i think the situation might also be that simple, i mean, Thibs and Butler are pretty close from years now, right? And Thibs is definitely not a player's coach or a guy who wants to wait and develop young players so, i think it's a given he would probably trade Towns before Butler if only he had that much power. On the other hand you have the owner who was apparently close to fire or Thibs this summer, or at least he was close to make make some major moves in the front office, and at the same time he probably likes the younger player also cause he can control him for many years...

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I hope GlenTay won't chooseButlerThibs over KAT but all the moves over the past 2 years aren't encouraging

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

nothing exciting about being a Wolves fan right now

words can’t describe how important/impactful Butler is to that team, and if he leaves, you’re stuck building around disappointing Wiggins and no D KAT

no star is ever going there unless it’s through trade...the future isn’t all that bright

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Minny went from always being one or two years away to potentially being a lottery team again soon lol.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

This makes sense to me. I also expect LeBron would push LAL to be aggressive, pony up some of their young guys.

9. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

"Wolves in six! Wolves in six! Wolves in Six!"

Some say Wolves fans are still waiting for that sixth game to this day.

10. BackdoorHarden

yup, if the core is Wiggins and KTOWN, they are going to be in the lottery for the next decades. 2 guys that don't play defense isn't going to work in today's NBA

11. basketballholic

Is it 10-15 yet?

12. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

What's happening at that time?

13. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

14. basketballholic

It's the deadline for KAT to sign an extension. And prevent the drop dead date for a Butler trade.

Today and the next couple weeks is about Thibs trying to resolve the Butler-Towns saga amicably so Towns will sign his extension and they can put off a Butler decision until the deadline.

Minny is already screwed. And has been screwed for a while. Hopefully some of you are starting to understand the circumstances Rubio was playing under and why he looks so much better after escaping there.

They just keeping mistakes, one after the other.

Another coach, Thibs, who has proven inept as a GM, just like SVG. The Butler trade was disasterous, especially when combined with the Wiggins signing and Rubio trades.

Wiggins still can't break down defenders consistently and make plays for his team. He's mediocre at almost everything. And has neutral trade value at best. Realistically, who is going to want Wiggins and his contract and what are they going to be willing to give up for him? It's not there. Portland in a salary dump?

They lost the Rubio trade. Dealt him for the cap space to sign Teague, an inferior player to Rubio, and a low first round pick that is now a long term project in Okogie, and most likely a bit player at best. Meanwhile they glue Tyus Jones to the bench. And he's better than Teague.

Now they're in this dilemma with Butler and Towns. And they're trying to get Towns signed to an extension??????? That's another mistake given their cap situation and where their roster is at in regards to winning a championship.

What they should do is patch things together with Butler in the best manner possible and postpone giving Towns an extension. In the short term they'll probably suffer some dysfunctionality. But they need to have cap space next summer for free agency and possible trades. And if Towns is already signed to a massive deal they've limited themselves.

They need to do with Towns what the Knicks are doing with KP, assure him they're giving him 5-year max, and tell him they're waiting to do it to give themselves a shot in free agency, next summer. So no extension right now. And kiss and make up with Butler and push the Butler decision to the deadline unless they can get Knicks and Celtics in a bidding war and get max value for Butler now.

But.....will they do that? Doubtful. It appears they're bound and determined to get Towns' extension signed. Even if they trade Butler now, signing Towns to an extension is a mistake. They shouldn't do it. We'll know by 10-15.

BigShasta and Cdub37 like this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

Lol a day difference doesn’t change anything.

DonKnock, BigMaloe and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it was only a metaphor

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

They could I guess, but there's a lot of risk in that for the Knicks, especially if they can't win now.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"Scared money don't make money"

//Presti

19. Fantasma Negro

Didn't Kawhi dump Pop in L.A.? Morey get ready

DonKnock, Deuce, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  20. bratna8

bratna8 Member

So will EGo, Zhou Qi, 1st be enough for them to bite?