1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmy Butler requested a trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bratna8, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I like Porzy's game. They actually did pretty well post-Melo with him as the center piece. I thought they finally did the right thing by getting rid of Melo and handing the rein to Porzy. Then he got injured and they dropped like a stone. Now he is having the proverbial injury doubt. He will have to prove all over again that he is still that up and coming franchise player.

In a way, he is still unproven with only half a season being the main guy. Whether any star player will be attracted to a Porzy-Butler tandem depends on how he is being perceived. Will they think it's Butler's team or Porzy's team? The latter would be more attractive, in my opinion, but a lot more uncertain.

And then, will that third star (e.g. Irving) perceive himself to be the #1 guy and he join the Knicks to have both Butler and Porzy's as his Robins?

da_juice and steddinotayto like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea aside from that season ending knee injury KP's ability to sustain his level of play is another factor. He's started off crazy good the past two seasons only to hit a wall of sorts where his production tailed off.

I love the kid and I hope he comes back and becomes an elite player.

Easy likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

There is a "real possibility" Jimmy Butler may not report to training camp if a trade has not been consummated, according to Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic. Earlier, Woj reported that the Wolves are shutting down trade offers on Butler right now, so it would appear Butler is willing to take his trade request to another level. It sounds like this relationship is beyond repair, but the Wolves may not be willing to accommodate Jimmy's list of the Clippers, Nets and Knicks as possible destinations. - The Athletic

6. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

NEW YORK -- As the Minnesota Timberwolves front office tells inquiring rivals that the franchise has no plans to trade All-Star forward Jimmy Butler, owner Glen Taylor had a different message for owners and executives at the NBA's Board of Governors meetings: Butler is available, and prospective suitors should contact Taylor himself should they struggle to make progress with GM Scott Layden, sources told ESPN.

The growing disconnect between Minnesota's ownership and front office has created an impression for opposing teams that a showdown between Taylor and Tom Thibodeau, the Wolves' president of basketball operations and head coach, looms as an increasingly plausible conclusion to Butler's trade request.

"The owner's trading him," one Board of Governors attendee told ESPN on Friday. "That was made clear. It's just a matter of when."

"He basically said, 'If you don't get anywhere with [Layden], and you've got something good, bring it to me," another high-ranking league official told ESPN.

Taylor declined comment to ESPN on Friday as he left the mid-town Manhattan hotel that hosted the league's meetings.

Many of those attending the Board of Governors meetings are convinced that Taylor and top team business officials don't want a prolonged saga with Butler, preferring to move him to a new team sooner than later.

Thibodeau -- who oversees Layden, the point person on trade talks with outside GMs -- wants to hold onto Butler and navigate the season with him. If Thibodeau is destined to get fired at season's end, those familiar with this thinking say he'd rather do so reaching the playoffs for a second straight year with the benefit of Butler on the roster. The idea of missing the postseason in the aftermath of a trade that leaves the Timberwolves devoid of a short-term, comparable talent to Butler, a four-time All-NBA forward, is fully unappealing to Thibodeau.

Meanwhile, Taylor has far less of a stomach for a dysfunctional season of feuding among Butler, All-Star center Karl-Anthony Towns and forward Andrew Wiggins and the damage that'll do to the franchise's image, league sources said. The franchise's business operations want to limit the sullying of what had been until now a successful marketing campaign around the franchise's starry young core, league sources said.

Butler told Thibodeau that he would like to be traded before reporting for Timberwolves media day on Monday and that he plans to leave the franchise in free agency next summer, league sources said.

The Clippers have two max contract slots available in July. They are emerging as a front-runner for Kawhi Leonard when Toronto's All-NBA forward becomes a free agent in July, league sources said. The Nets' ability to sign two max free agents in the summer will keep them in consideration for Butler, but he has prioritized the Clippers and Knicks over them, league sources said.

In any circumstance, Butler wants a trade to a team that plans to sign him to a five-year, maximum contract that could be worth $190 million in the summer, and his list could expand based upon the Timberwolves' and rival teams' willingness to negotiate a trade for him, league sources said.

#127 J.R., Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    DonKnock likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Every other goal than contending for a championship isn't worthy of the tag 'Winner'. At age 29.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

there are far more important things in life than winning...particularly because NBA is glorified WWE with scripted outcomes and refs deciding the champions

I applaud Jimmy Butler, NBA championship is not worth chasing he is a winner for seeing through it

Jontro likes this.
  11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

winning matters a lot

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I applaud him too for making more money, and striving for teh next big contract. No matter where. :cool:o_O

The Benjamins rule the world.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah and jimmy is a true winner

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

#134 J.R., Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm here to bring the tea.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

#136 J.R., Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Soo many team involved...i'm not positive on the Rockets getting him, i know i shouldn't be in the first place but eh...

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Wizards might end up giving a bit too much for Butler, for a 1 yr rental. Any acquiring team needs to be sure, that he will re-sign with them.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks, but I prefer coffee instead of tea.:)

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't know where Butler will go, but one thing I am sure of......whatever Minny gets in return will be MUCH LESS than we think.

This timetable and Butler's contract situation really puts Minny in a spot to take back 60 cents on the dollar.

I bet Morey's offer is EG+Nene+1st.

basketballholic, craguin and J.R. like this.