1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmer might skip scheduled workout with Rockets

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/81173903266955266

Jimmer has workout scheduled on the 18th in Houston. But it's sounding like he might not attend ...

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-rockets/2011/6/16/2226974/nba-draft-2011

BYU scoring machine Jimmer Fredette does have a workout scheduled with the Rockets on Friday, but according to ESPN's Chad Ford, he may not attend it. He reportedly worked out very well in Utah yesterday with Kemba Walker and Malcolm Lee.

What can you make of this? Fredette likely feels that he has established his floor before the 14th overall pick. The NBA Draft is full of promises and other innuendo that could lead to someone thinking they're set at a certain slot, and while this is purely speculation, perhaps Fredette's latest workout led to something like that being established.

It's just as well for the Rockets, as while Fredette could give them some scoring punch off the bench, his upside is likely to be the next Kevin Martin, and Houston already has that. Look instead for them to focus on big men or potential small forward candidates who are defensive contributors.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Seems to me his agent knows Jimmer won't slide past team "X" and won't be available for Houston anyway. Unless the Rockets trade up somehow. Which, until it happens, won't happen.

Sometimes these things are overanalyzed---sometimes players have a scheduling conflict, sometimes they need a break from workouts and interviews and choose to skip or push off a team that won't likely get a chance to draft him. But I have always doubted Fredette would fall out of the lottery. We'll see.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Jimmer was meant to go #12 to Utah. I think it's in scripture somewhere.

1 person likes this.
  4. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

After his Utah workout on Wednesday, he did say he was done working out for teams.

5. DreamRoxCoogFan

If he's available when Utah picks, they will have to take him. He will be a huge draw and he doesn't seem like a terrible prospect. Just what the jazz need after sloan and williams left town.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Thank god...

[​IMG]

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

After seeing more and more of his workout, i think he's going to be better than i was expecting. I can see him being worth a top 10 pick and will probably go 7th to the kings.

as for the rockets workout, i think he doesn't see a future here with two good pgs already here. He did work out with the pacers and they pick after houston, so i dont think it's necessarily about draft position.

8. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Even if we trade up...it won't be Jimmer that's for sure.

9. ROXTXIA

Agreed on that.

If he's available at #14, which I doubt.....MAAAAAAAAAYbe Morey would take him, but if only because it opens up "let's make a deal" options, with Jimmer or with whomever else is on our roster.

I'd say he has a promise somewhere before #14.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Good riddance.

Utah's going to blow a pick on him, Enes Kanter and Al Jefferson will be wasted standing around watching him trying to penetrate, failing, then chucking up a shot.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good for Jimmer for refusuing to be treated like an asset.

1 person likes this.
  12. ROXTXIA

What is it that Garfield used to say, words we could put into Morey's mouth in response to your quip?

"I resemble that remark!"

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Utah not taking him would be pretty unbelievable. He is practically the second coming of Joseph Smith up there in Utah.

Plus they do need a longterm point guard and more perimeter scoring. Could be a similar player eventually to Jeff Hornacek, and become another player that Rockets fans love to hate.

14. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

15. J-Man

J-Man Member

Yep he's smart he knows no way in he'll we're drafting him

16. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Obviously he'll be gone by 14, the Jazz and Pacers are picking before.

Glad though, don't want him, he'll suck at the next level, just watch.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Looks like there isn't any chance that I'd lose the Bismack v. Jimmer bet.

:)

18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

pacers pick is 15 which is after.

19. ROXTXIA

I don't know. If Morey wanted Jimmer, he'd just draft him, then let Jimmer stammer on ESPN, "Hell, I didn't even work out for them, aren't you going to have Ric Busher or David Aldridge or Screamin' Steven Smith over in the wings talking about how I was drafted to get traded?"

Morey would turn around and trade Dragic. Or trade Jimmer himself, for players/picks that he wanted.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jimmer looks awesome, I don't really get why some people don't want him. He reminds me a lot stephen curry, who basically had the same rep before the draft (high bball IQ, amazing shot, poor D).