1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimerson Gets Help From Tony Gwynn

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketFan007, Mar 10, 2005.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I hope so, too. This could be the end of the outfield problems if Charloton pans out. he can hit for power (had a hr ball found 650 ft. away from home plate last season in Round Rock), has speed, and has a cannon for an arm. If he can hit for some average, it'll end up being a steal. An outfield with Taveres in center, Jimerson in right, and Berkman in left would be very nice.
    If not, we still have Jason Lane.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Wow.....great gesture by Tony Gwynn

But my question is this - why didn't Charlton's coach at the double A level notice this? Okay Gwynn is a hall of famer and all but you would imagine that such obvious flaw would be noticed easily by an average coach.

Anyway lets see if the problem is/was more Jimerson that his coaches but early signs are good....

I believe he will be starting out at AAA round rock this season right?

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With the current situation in CF for Stros....you can't be sure, but probably.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jimerson is about as 'toolsy' as they come. I would compare his upside with Beltran- if he puts things together, he can have huge power/speed numbers (nearly 40 steals last year) with great defense and a cannon of an arm.

I caught a few Round Rock games last year, and he's truly a hit or miss guy- if he hits it, it goes a mile, or he'll look foolish at the plate. If Gwynn has helped him fix this, he may have a very nice MLB future ahead of him.

He has a long way to go and may never even come close, but the ceiling on Jimerson is ridiculous.

#5 NIKEstrad, Mar 10, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I thought Charlton is in Florida with the team? He wasn't invited?

7. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I would think that it's probably too little, too late for Jimerson. He's a 26-yr old who has never played above AA and has a career BB/K ratio of 1:5. You don't find too many players that follow that career path to become even a servicable player, let alone a good one. Sure he has a lot of speed, but when you put up an OBP of 0.300 at that level, it doesn't bode well for your chances of advancing.

8. kevwun

kevwun Member

It's true that if a player doesn't have plate discipline by Jimerson's age, he probably never will. It's not unheard of though. Sosa is an example.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Jimmerson sounds like a down to earth guy. I wonder who's more ripped, he or Hubbard? I just hope gwynn doesn't give him any diet advice.