1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JIm Rome's thoughts on Texas A&M University

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by underoverup, Aug 20, 2003.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Damn straight.

Those guys are just horrible players. If you sit anywhere near them at a game, you'll notice how out of tune they play. They sound like a 6th grade beginner band. Seriously.

As far as their marching goes, I've wrote a few marching drills for some high schools when I was in college and I can tell you that the marching they do is simple and ancient. It might look cool from the upper levels when they "mesh", but really all they do is walk in a straight line, then turn, then walk in another straight line. All you do is follow the person in front of you, it's not that difficult.

Granted, they are "unique" but they are also a joke in the college marching band community.

2. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

It's so true about the Corp. They are not respected!
    My father attended the Citadel and I have a lot of respect for Citadel and West Point cadets.
    These are the true leaders in the military.
    My father, in the 50's, roomed at The Citadel with what would eventually become a 5-star General in the 70's.

What Aggie cadet has done anything besides get shot in the ass or get killed in a firefight?

The Aggie cadets are a joke and I agree with Rome's take on that Halloween comes once a year and Aggie cadets should stop "Playing Army!"

And College Station is the armpit of Texas!!
    The enema hose hooks up right over Kyle Field!!

3. ima_drummer2k

Speaking of that, I went to Sam Houston and our ROTC department beat A&M's every year in their annual competition. I asked a friend of mine that was in ROTC about "the corp" and he just laughed. Apparently, they are as much of a joke as their band.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

i was considering attending both colleges a couple years ago so naturally i took the tour of both campuses. now i dont care about college rivalries either way but the A&M tour was not only unhelpful, but half of it was about how sucky "TU" was. they spent way too much time talking about that dog mascot and couldnt even answer my questions. as i walked past the parking lot full of pickups, i said to my parents "get me out of here...now for the love of all that is holy" theyd get more quality people if theyd stop with the petty stuff and stick to whats important. just my opinion.

btw im moving back to UT tomorrow for my second year

5. underoverup

underoverup Member

I'm learning so many interesting things in this thread, who would have thought there is a college marching band community. :confused:

Do they have a special place they go to retire-- do they have their own BBS? :)

6. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Yeah I've got family and good friends that graduated A&M and I can never understand their hangup with UT. Houston is an obvuous state rival of Dallas. But you don't see Houstonians or Dallasites making a bid for the Olympics or something like that and bashing the other city.

A&M has a horrible complex. Then again, think about it. A&M is in the middle of bubbaville while UT is in Austin, the coolest and hippest city in Texas. There is so much to see and do in Austin. What do you do in College Station or Bryan? Chase hogs and shoot beer bottles lined up on a fence?

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

You gotta luv Rome...;)

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

The University of Phoenix has the 4th largest MBA program in the Dallas Metroplex, behind only UTA, UNT and Texas Woman's. Ahead of TCU, SMU, UTD, UD and whatever the other MBA granting institution in the Metroplex is (the press release I read said there were nine, but only named the top 5).

But I've been told many times that size doesn't matter. :)

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I gave A&M one chance to impress me.

Their seminar at my high school was quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever sat through.

They did nothing but, like you said, talk about TU and how much it sucked. And also how if you're an aggie, you get basically everything handed to you on a silver platter after you graduate. It sounded more like a dumb cult, and less like a college.

10. ima_drummer2k

OK, OK. You caught me.

"college marching band community" = drinking buddies from the drumline. :D

11. underoverup

underoverup Member

Thats what I thought---:D

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don't see a tour stop going through College Station.

Houston was jobbed. Austin doesn't deserve a tour stop.

Houston needs it's fourth tour stop.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

You're right. All Longhorns are more imaginative and have better writing skills than Aggies. Also, there are no Aggies in executive level postions.

Still, I find it funny how clueless some people are about A&M. Apparently everyone at the school is a hick...hicks who wear khaki shorts, visors, old navy t-shirts, and sandles.

On the flip side, it's just as ignorant as those who think UT is a bunch of liberal hippies...hippies who wear khaki shorts, visors, old navy t-shirts, and sandles.

If stereotypes weren't so easy to swallow, I think you'd find the majority of Longhorns are similar in nature to the majority of Aggies. I guess people just can't help focusing on the extremes.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

18,000 Aggies served in WWII
    Over 225 Aggies have achieved General or Flag Officer rank.
    7 have been awarded the congressional medal of honor.

Just to answer your question, jackass.

15. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

You see, this is what I was trying to say from the beginning. The person who started this thread, which he incorrectly titled by the way because those were not Jim Rome's thoughts, just wanted to get a rile out of people and start a r****ded insult contest. What is most amusing is that the people who are saying the most inflammatory things are people who went to niether of these schools. Please Ags, don't be suckered into responding to what has already been posted here before, several times, in an attempt to start a flaming thread on the board. Just let them go on and on about how much we suck and our band sucks and our education sucks and our corps sucks and be comforted by the fact that all these little weenies hiding behind the internet are only attacking us because they are jealous because their application said "we are sorry to inform you that you will not be invited to attend Texas A&M University this fall".

16. underoverup

underoverup Member

No I started the thread, because it was funny in my opinion-- period. Its strange how upset and defensive you are about the college you attended, its as if some of the unfounded insults have really hit home with you. I share ideas, tell jokes, and have fun with people on this board, I don't try and hurt peoples feelings or rile them up, that is just nonsense. If jokes about your school bother you so much why do you keep reading and responding to this thread?

17. LeGrouper

So your application did get denied... Or were your grades not even good enough to try?...

18. underoverup

underoverup Member

With all the jokes and comments that hurt your feelings so much, you fire back with the most classless post of the entire thread. If there is a stereotype that Aggies are racist hicks its comments like this that enforce that perception.

19. LeGrouper

The importance of that information is directly proportional to its improbability.

20. LeGrouper

How does race come into any of this?