1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Jerome Williams is on the trading block.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by fadeaway, Nov 28, 2000.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I would definitely be in favor of getting him, but why not let Maurice and Jerome complement eachother?

Yeah, that's why I'd shift Maurice over to the SF position and give Jerome the starting PF slot.

Is this a good idea, though?

Maybe maybe no.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Well I like that idea, fade. We need a rebounder. I don't think we'd pull it off though for 2 reasons:

(1) Rudy likes to have a guy who can shoot the 3, playing SF. He's never had a starting SF who couldn't do that (Horry, Elie, Pip, Walt). Even if Mo Taylor could guard the small forwards, his range is no more than 18 feet (otherwise he's a fine jump shooter).

(2) It would take more than WW to get us JYD, if they're talking about Magette and Nesby. Magette is one of those "potential" guys who seem to have alot of trade value even though you don't see their production on the court for years.

------------------
    "Don't blame me. I think I voted for Gore."
    -Florida bumpersticker

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

What I meant to say is complement eachother at the PF position. I agree with MMamal's theory that Taylor with a banger/rebounder as his backup would work wonders for us.

I really don't think that Maurice is quick enough to play at SF, nor does he have the shooting touch SamCassel mentions.

------------------
    Nederland 2002

Rocketman95 on board. Check out his latest game recaps.

4. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

What about Kelvin Cato and/or Carlos Rogers.
    Carlos has already said he would like to play in Detroit and I thought Detroit showed some interest in Kelvin Cato during the off-season.

Not sure how the salaries would work but I would love to have a power forward that can bang, get boards and play defense. Junk Yard Dog seems to fit the bill.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

It was the first time the Titans sent an offense to the line of scrimmage with Eddie George in the backfield behind McNair to go with Wycheck at tight end and Carl Pickens, Kevin Dyson and Yancey Thigpen at wide receiver.

So many choices, with a full season still ahead.

"I think that might be scary for a defense," Dyson said.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

According to realgm.com, Jerome Williams is a partial BYC and both Detroit and the Rockets are over the cap. We'd have to include a third team in a trade to get him. It looks like Williams makes $2.87 million, so if you want to give up Cato or Walt, Detroit would have to give us someone else as well. Carlos and Mo on the other hand make about $2.2 million each so there might be something there.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JV-Meet my good friend: The 1.2 million dollar trade exception from the Drew trade.

I'd love to team JYD with MoTay.

JYD gets off BYC on March 12....

After Dec. 15 (due to Buechler) what about KT and Walt for JYD and Jud Buechler. Buechler would give us that SF, and would still leave us with Bullard, Buechler, Langhi at the SF spot (and the perfect oppurtunity to get the big time SF like T-Morris in the draft).

Detroit also has that large trade exception from the recent Ceballos trade. I'm guessing that Maggette/Nesby was Detroit's idea. If I'm Detroit, I trade JYD, a decent roleplayer for Nesby-a decent roleplayer, and Maggette, a potential superstar, in a heartbeat.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited November 28, 2000).]

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want my deletes back.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited November 28, 2000).]

8. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

NIKEstrad

buechler? as our SF? the man could not guard half the local players at my gym! unless we got their draft pick like u said.... buechler as our SF would cost us a ton of games

------------------
    --TEX

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

That's BS, salsa. I saw Jud at the local YMCA and he was putting the clamps down on this one guy. It was embarassing. Of course, the guy was 5'3" 235, but that's besides the point. Jud's got game I tell ya.

------------------
    "There are two players carrying the Rockets right now. Hakeem and Olajuwon." Isiah Thomas

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

"<a href="http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pcorn28_20001128.htm">The Detroit Free Press</a> reports that Williams could be traded to the Clippers for Tyrone Nesby and Corey Maggette. Smith wants to play at PF, which is where Williams and Ben Wallace have been playing."

---

I have always been an advocate of bringing Jerome to Houston, and now is the big chance to do just that. I think that a tough, rugged, rebounding Power Forward is just what this team needs. To heck with Taylor - we don't need a wussy PF who can't play every time he breaks a nail (finger injury). I am a true believer in Jerome and would love to see him on the Rockets.

If I were in charge, I would try to trade Walt Williams for Jerome and move Taylor over to SF to make room for the big guy. I think Maurice is too soft to be a suitable PF anyway. The Rockets need a tough guy with a hard-working attitude. Jerome would fill this niche perfectly.

Hopefully, the Rockets will at least make a minor attempt to get him.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

11. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I would definitely be in favor of getting him, but why not let Maurice and Jerome complement eachother?

Also, who would we give Detroit? They are currently in a rebuilding phase, and a player like Nesby already has decent value while Corey has some great potential for the future. I don't see the Rockets having anything better to offer. Not anything that I am willing to part with anyway...

------------------
    Nederland 2002

Rocketman95 on board. Check out his latest game recaps.

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

8 minutes to go in the first half of Detroits game with the Nets and Williams is yet to get on, maybe he will get traded

------------------
    "It's incredible to see how he [Mobley] can beat his guy one-on-one every
    time. That is a tremendous talent. The combination of Steve and Cuttino, I
    think, is wonderful in the backcourt."
    --the Dream

13. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Jud's actually not a bad defender.

The Pistons brass is claiming that Jerome is not on the block and never has been. They're probably lying, but that's what they said.

The Maggette/Nesby trade was almost unquestionable offered up by the Clippers as Alvin Gentry has stated several times he'd love a Jerome type player and JYD was one of his favorite players when he was Pistons coach.

Detroit needs a SF and a C. Or some combination thereof. There was a rumor out of Orlando that Mike Miller and Doleac (or a couple different players) were offered up. Who knows if it was true, but that's a fairly nice package.

------------------

14. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Had the flu.

------------------