1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Tyler

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by REEKO_HTOWN, May 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Yeah, I know basketball a lot better than you do mate. Sorry, but that could not be anymore obvious.

2. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

That's alright champ. Enjoy basically everyone here on Clutchfans is better than you at life and I'm so, so truly sorry it couldn't be any more obvious than that. :) Enjoy

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Unless you know something I dont, all the data that us fans have to inform us of prospect position's in the NBA is the eye test and their measurements. Despite Tyler having a few pounds on Keith Benson, his skill level looked far more suited for the PF position from what I can see. We have yet to see rebounding skill, shot blocking, and overalll BBIQ.

Keith Benson is well scouted and has the skillset to play the center position despite his light frame. Not comparing him to Marcus Camby, but I see similarities in build. Also look at Jordan Hill, who is most likely a better comparison to Benson from what ive seen of him at his time at Oakland. Also look into body fat % which Tyler had one the highest percentages of all the players at the combine.

Have you ever heard of the term "skinny strong?" From what I've seen of Benson, he will play Center in the NBA. Tyler just looked more like a PF due to his skillset, but we need to see him in an actual game to determine for sure. If I was an NBA scout, I would be hesitant to assume he could play the center position just because he is 6'11".

-Also, New York would be out of their minds to draft a gamble like Tyler at 17. Im sure if they could, they would trade that pick like Houston did for Battier. New York cannot trade that pick of course so if I was them I would be hoping a solid contributor like Chris Singleton would fall my way, and pay whatever is necessary to get Samual Dalembert. New York has a very short 3 season window with Amare and Melo so they must be in win now mode with their selections.

#103 dobro1229, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  4. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Even though Jeremy Tyler is 6'11 and is the BPA, the rockets will not take him.

Even if in his interview, he tells the rockets that he can play C even though he is a natural forward....the rockets will not take him.

Even if Jeremy Tyler, becomes an absolutely sick "Lamar Odom-like" ball handler, the rockets will not take him even in the second round.

Why?

Daryl Morey loves those hard working, motivation driven players in the draft that have been in college and succeeded.

Aaron Brooks, Landry, Patterson, Budinger were all successful in their respective college programs.

Jeremy Tyler does not fit into who Morey would consider.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

OIOW DM likes players with track records, so he can crunch their stats and watch how they compete and develop against stronger competition.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Jeremy Tyler doesn't fit with the Rockets because of the lack of data to analyze. The way they rank players involves some statistical analytics mixed in with personalized skill points, and lastly attitude and personality. I remeber an interview with Sam Hinke where he explained something of the like.

A player like Jeremy Tyler, or like last year with a Hassan Whiteside will never rank as high as you might think because of lack of data to analyse. The Rockets will never draft a player that they dont have enough information on to tell whether they could succeed or not. Always keep that in mind when considering who you think they might take. Not who you would take.

7. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Hold on, I don't think that's accurate. It's well-known that our organization has tried to get Rubio in the past, and we tried to trade up to draft Cousins last year. Statistics are just one of many factors used to evaluate players.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Seeing that it will be hard to trade up and get a player like Kanter, it's best that we go for a guy who could possibly defend against him. That guy could be Tyler. He has got the height and size to do so.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

A good write up on Tyler.

http://www.nbadraft.net/jeremy-tyler-enigma

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I would like to see how he does in a one-on-one game against a pro-level center (who is fair), sort like what Hilton Armstrong did against Whiteside and Orton.

If he is good enough, I think being here would be good for him, he'd have a coach to teach him about being successful NBA big man. He could learn post moves and how to be good defender,and having good fundamentals on both sides of the ball.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I guess I would prefer Jeremy Tyler over Vucevic. Tyler does have the tools to become a star. Vucevic makes me think of Jason Collier. Some decent skills but nothing more than a back up caliber center.

12. aeolus13

I'd love to draft Tyler if he's there at 23. For sure, this kid could be a bust. There are big, big, question marks about his attitude and production in the overseas leagues. If there weren't, we wouldn't even have a chance with the 14 because he'd be a top-5 pick.

He's young, he's big, he's athletic, and he's got decent basketball skills. This is exactly the kind of undervalued asset we need to be looking for: a guy with a world of potential whose value is low because of other circumstances. If he maxes out, he could be a franchise player. If not, you're out the 23rd pick in a weak draft. Doesn't get much more low-risk/high-reward than that.

At this point, we don't need any more Chase Budingers - solid, reliable, seventh-man types. We should be taking risks on guys like Tyler and T-Will who have star potential, even if they might be busts.

13. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The only thing I'm worried about is him still being there at #23. Maybe use #14 on whoever Morey likes, and then try to trade up from 23 to the 18-21 range.

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I seriously laughed after reading that.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is nothing. His interviews are 10x better than Cousins who acted as if he had a chip on his shoulder at all his interviews. Not knowing the coach of a team you are working out for is no big deal. They work out for so many different teams a week. I can see how this would happen.
    Though, it would have helped to do a little research beforehand, but how many draftees do?

17. aeolus13

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see us trade down from the 14. Biyombo and possibly Thompson or Brooks are the only players of interest I could see dropping to us at that slot. Meanwhile, there are plenty of intriguing players with question marks expected to go later.

We may be able to trade down into the late teens or early twenties in return for a lottery-protected future first from one of those middle-of-the-pack teams if they fall in love with a guy.

18. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

honestly feel that tyler will be gone before the 23rd pick.........

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So, uh........................I can't even laugh at that.

As for the topic, I didn't even know we had a basketball league, and I think I would prefer Vuvevic or however you spell it over Tyler. I could see us drafting Vuvevic with the 14th, I really can't with Tyler.

1 person likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Jeremy Tyler becomes a stud, and Daryl whiffs, I am officially off the DM wagon... :)