1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy needs some subtlety in his game...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jasonemilio, Jan 9, 2013.

1. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

If J Kidd can develop an outside shot, why not Lin... I just hope it doesn't take his entire career to do it though...lol...

2. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

We are talking about "potential" here.

When both Harden and Lin are 29 years old, Harden will probably still be a better player.

But what other potential area Harden can achieve that he doesn't already have now. Five years from now, he will probably be making better decision and is more skilled. But he is already making pretty good decision and he already has incredible amount of skill sets.

The only area that will propel him to Kobe or Jordan level is his lack of quickness. But I don't think it is something he can improve much.

Sorry, I don't see the upside or potential you see in Harden. He is already the top 5 shooting guard in NBA, but I don't see him ever get to Kobe (but he could be close to Wade's level).

Lin, on the other hand, has so much more to learn skill wise. He is already a competent NBA point guard now. Those skills can be learned. As long as his body holds up, he has way more potential than Harden.

3. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

You sound angry. May I suggest a brisk walk or a stress ball.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

heh, they need to send him to stuntman camp or something to learn how to fall, or that may well come true.

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

True. But Harden proves you don't have to have elite explosiveness, just good body control and solid speed/quickness. And a proper skillset to match that (ie the big eurosteps and big steps to the basket)

6. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

i hope Lin doesn't read this thread. i'm pretty sure he knows exactly what he needs to work on more than anyone else does. right now he's putting a lot of effort on the defensive side on top of everything else and it's helped us win a lot of games. so all the blind backseat drivers need to just shut the hell up and enjoy the wins. or i'll have to reach out of your crt monitors and b**** slap you all

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

do people still have those? lol

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Kidd didn't develop an outside shot, he always had one.

He said it himself that he had never played in a system where he was required to shoot the 3 ball even though he could until he played for the Mavs.

9. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

patience.

that's what everybody needs to try with Lin and the Rockets.

I think the internet/social media age we live in and the fact that there are comments section in articles and we can publish our thoughts right away in form of message boards/threads/ and comments section we as a society has lost all semblance of patience at least in regards to our athletes.

Ive been very guilty of this as well.

People forget when steve nash first came up with dallas i remember vividly him being booed by his own home team fans.

steve nash booed by his own home team. Read that again and let it sink in. Those who are longtime rockets fans will remember this.

Then nash went on to win two affirmative action mvps. Still a great feat. How many times did Chauncey Billups get traded before he settled down? Tony Parker wasnt Tony Parker when he first came up.

Patience.

Lin is very frustrating to watch sometimes because he can play so smart and efficient one moment then really dumb and reckless the next. He needs to watch some steve nash video and see how he can incorporate steve nash mid range game to his. Now he's starting to use his mid range floaters and jump shots when he was struggling it was nothing but drive full blast to the basket or a spot up 3.

We all need to be patient....

only exception is Matt Schaub and Gary Kubiak.

10. dacman

dacman Member

Amazing, both of these guys are only 24. Not halfway through the season and the Rockets are starting to see how this back court can work.

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I guess that's just another way of saying someone is more raw and unpolished.

12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Oh yeah I forgot about Linsanity. Seems like it was so long ago o_O

13. SeabrookMiglla

i think that they are both close when it comes to "who has more upside". harden is an all star and lin is getting there, but he is not consistent enough. lin is still raw. but if you want me to be 100% honest with you, i think lin could become a bigger threat than harden night in and night out. its difficult to say though there are so many factors like injuries and what not. only time will tell.

14. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Kidd can say what he wants but his numbers say different...

15. LLDD117

LLDD117 Member

Last year this time, guys like you screamed JLin7 isn't NBA material, now you admit he will at least make a backup pg.

good eye...., :grin::grin:

16. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

Pretty much. Lins midrange shot after coming off a screen is already there imo. The few times he did it, it worked really well. He could practice euro steps, hesitations and learning how to create contact with J Harden during the off season. Oh yeah, and improving that range on his jumper too.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

His numbers/advanced stats is the reason Cuban gave as to why the Mavs wanted Kidd shooting 3s.

18. bongman

bongman Member

Playing Lock down defense the whole game. Folks generally underestimate the contagious energy that one defensive player provides. If your star player/leader shows a commitment to defense, the rest will follow

19. SeabrookMiglla

lowry developed a jumper and all he used to do was drive to the basket like lin. it took lowry a couple of seasons but he developed that jumper and started drilling clutch shots.

20. muas2010

muas2010 Member

The best stat for Lin on this Houston team is going to be 15-18 points and 7-8 assist per night. With Harden being the main guy (plus sharing ball handling) and shots being distributed pretty good...he's not going to get that many shots on a night in/out. The above plus his above average rebounding and steals as a guard provides plenty of power for his position. If the team does well in the next 3 years....Houston might be breaking the bank just to keep everyone happy!:grin: