1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

It is very easy to dispute since you have no evidence or examples to back it up. Lin found teammates with ease in the open court and half court sets: JJ, fields, chandler, amare, novak, all scored with ease feeding off of Lin. And JJ, fields and chandler are hardly noteworthy scorers. Novak has been terribly under utilized yet posted career numbers this past season in large part thanks to lin. On top of that, Lin was able to score 20+ ppg as a starter (before carmelo returned of course).

Now Rubio is a better defender as well? Lin needs to improve fighting through pnr's, but he has great intuition as far as anticipating passes and getting steals.

You're making blanket statements without the slightest shred of evidence.

2. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

He's a great athlete with a low game IQ. He's less error prone than in the past, but I still feel he's an embarrassment to the game.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Doesn't change the fact that he produced on the Wizards. He had a handful of dumb plays which took away from his solid play. He shot over 50 percent, blocked shots, rebounded, scored. I don't see how Mcgee's play has to do with Wall.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

Not quite what Wall does. Although Russ does some boneheaded things he plays a little bit more in control than Wall does. But then Russ is surrounded by a superior team.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

I never blamed Wall for McGee's play. Nor did I ever say he didn't produce on the Wizards. What I did say is that he played better with the Nuggets.

6. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

The difference is that mcgee is in a winning system now. Washington is a joke, even the GOAT looked bad playing for them. :)

7. RedNation

Passing well includes turning it over less. As a starter, he averaged 8 assists and 5 turnovers. Rubio averaged 8 assists to 3 turnovers. He passes better because he is able to get the ball to a teammate without turning it over as much.

8. redlawn

redlawn Member

McGee got those stats playing less mpg, and with nearly 10% better fg%.

And have you ever watched McGee play? I doubt any one would say he played better on the Wiz than over Denver. With Denver, he played practically like a star

9. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

btw, both lin and rubio averaged over 8 apg and over 2 spg per 36 minutes. The difference is, lin nearly doubled rubio's scoring, 11 ppg vs. just under 20 ppg.

In other words, lin was the EQUAL of rubio in passing and defending, and TWICE as good as rubio scoring.

And let's not bring up rubio's 35% FG%.

10. RedNation

Just making a point that a point guard who relies on athleticism will not automatically be "trade bait" and a "journeyman".

I got you confused with the guy who said that Wall isn't as good as Lin because he couldn't do anything with Mcgee.

11. RedNation

:eek: He played better, but what does that have to do with wall? You said wall isn't as good as Lin because Mcgee was better in Denver. Mcgee was quite good in Washington as well.

12. RedNation

He also doubled the turnovers.

13. redlawn

redlawn Member

Westbrook is an athletic freak and he's better than Wall.

14. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Lin was also frequently doubled and took higher risks by crashing into the paint. Higher risk, higher rewards. Crash the paint, get an and one. Or a couple foul shots. Collapse the d and get an open 3 for novak. Or draw and dish to chandler or amare rolling to the basket for an easy dunk or layup.

Rubio played it safe on the perimeter, passing to beasley and love and blake for jump shots. This is a lower risk, lower reward strategy. The wolves won a lot fewer games while the knicks went on a long winning streak with lin posting extraordinary numbers but with a high to rate.

How often was rubio doubled? How often did he NEED to be doubled? Never. He can't shoot. And he's not big or strong or reckless enough to crash the paint.

They are different players who can both help their teams, but citing to stats in a vacuum is highly misleading.

15. RedNation

Does that change the fact that he is athletic? This is what the op said:

"Wall relies almost exclusively on athleticism. He doesn't really have a game aside from trying to beat his defenders off the dribble with his speed. It's likely he'll wind up a journeyman and constant trade bait; ie a player with impressive numbers and 'potential' who never really learns to play the game or the position properly. A poor man's Gilbert Arenas."

Westbrook relies almost exclusively on athleticism as well. He's not trade bait and is not a journeyman.

16. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

I just can't root for westbrook. He's as dumb as a rock. I don't know what will make more upset: LeBron's ring, or OKC's inevitable ring with dumbbrook at the point.

17. redlawn

redlawn Member

Job of a PG is to make his teammates better, especially for an athletic big man like McGee that could practically be a Eastern conference Lob City. Steve Nash didn't get his rep as a PG for nothing.

The fact that McGee underwhelmed before and blows up in Denver? Part of that falls on Wall for not being able to see that.

18. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Dumbbrook has someone named Kevin Durant as a teammate. And Harden. And Serge Ibaka, and so on down the line.

19. RedNation

Coming from the guy who thinks westbrook is an embarrassment to the game lol.

I'd rather have a guy who can get me 8 assists with low risk plays rather than a guy who gets me 8 assists with high risk plays. Just the fact that he can get 8 assists without having a quality jumpshot or getting doubled is amazing. If you get doubled, there is always a man open. Rubio was able to get high assist numbers with people sagging off on him.

20. Arthurprescott2

John Wall has been something of a disappointment in the league. High expectations coming in and he hasn't delivered so far.

Lin vs. Rubio is a good debate. IMO Rubio has greater vision and is more "pure" a PG.
    Wall and Lin are similar types of PGs. And honestly, I don't think people should give up on Wall yet. He's in a bad situation. He can't develop properly without good players around him. That said, the fact that Lin is clearly better than Wall now is not really disputable. Lin had less minutes and figured out a style of play for himself that Wall couldn't when he's the only 'star' on his team.