1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik #20 on NBA's worst contracts list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BullRider, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BullRider

BullRider Member

yuck.

http://grantland.com/features/bill-simmons-breaks-down-the-2014-worst-nba-contracts/

20. Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin: two years, $33.5 million
    We’re including them as a pairing because their quirky contracts make them just about impossible to trade, as we discovered last December when this happened.

To: The Other 29 GMs (email group)
    Date: 12/19/2013, 9:59:00 AM CST
    Subject: One last time … Asik???

Hey, guys – only six hours until my deadline to deal Asik expires. He counts for $8.3 million on the cap this year and next, but earns $5 million this season and $15 million next. It’s not as bad as it sounds! LOL. Ask your token stats guy in your front office that you hired only because your owner badgered you about hiring an advanced metrics guy — Asik’s value transcends statistics because of his interior defense and his rebounding. He’s also a terrific teammate, please don’t read anything into what happened recently when Omer quit on our team. Totally overblown! Who doesn’t get frustrated at work from time to time? Plus, you know how those guys from Turkey get — they take stuff personally! Just pay-per-view Taken 2 if you don’t believe me. I still believe Omer is an asset. Anyway, none of you emailed me back yet — we’re only looking for multiple first-rounders and a quality starter for him, that’s it. Lemme know, thanks!

Fine, that e-mail didn’t happen. You got me. But let’s just say the Asik-Lin market never materialized. Semi-related: Kyle Lowry has been the East’s best point guard this season, and Goran Dragic has been one of the West’s three best point guards (along with Steph Curry and Chris Paul). Um, the Rockets had both guys! They flipped Lowry for a lottery pick used for the Harden trade (totally defensible), then signed Lin over keeping Dragic in 2012 (whoops). Imagine Dragic and Harden together starring in the Slashing Southpaws right now. Yeeeessh.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Slashing Southpaws

I would have enjoyed using that nickname over and over again...

3. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

People just don't know ... Asik and Lin have been instrumental to this team. Have teams forgotten how well Asik defends the interior last year or when healthy?

4. figment

figment Member

This is totally going to invite a quality and conductive conversation about a fact that body had been aware of.

5. figment

figment Member

Should have been *nobody

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this whole we could have dragic over lin -- imagine that! is sort of misleading

Lin was signed when the team did not have Harden -- yes the option was either Dragic or Lin and unfortunately the team was heading in the direction of trying to get that foundation player here at the time. Dragic was great and they would want him here but the money he was asking and the player option was just too much of a risk for Morey at the time without having that foundation star.

If the harden deal happen first the whole scenario changes from there -- giving that deal with the player option isnt seen as big of a risk because its for a significant cog in the machine now that the main cog is in place. Of course now even more so after signing Dwight.

But neither Dwight nor Harden were even remotely in the picture when the decision to sign Lin or re-sign Dragic happened.

Hindsight is always 20/20

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He was more commenting on the balloon payment and the asking price (which was admittedly ridiculous) rather than Asik's actual play.

8. hamsession

hamsession Member

Lin and Asik - two guys who helped the Rockets last year overachieve and make it into the playoffs. And the author is saying that they are some of the worst contracts in the NBA?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think the contracts are nearly as bad as people think. I'm thinking only about half the owners in the league actually care about what either guy would be earning paycheck-to-paycheck, and unless the rules have changed (they very well may have) can't the rockets include cash money in a trade?

It's all about the cap hit, not the number on the check. If you could pay a coveted player twice his cap hit most teams would consider that an advantage.

On top of that, both players expire next year. Good players with expiring contracts will always be valuable.

10. hamsession

hamsession Member

Then rename the article to 'Most untradeable contracts in the NBA'. Not 'worst contracts'

11. SacTown

SacTown Member

Yeah these contracts are bad, really bad. I would be shocked to see either guy moved. Nobody wants that garbage. smh at not giving Dragic the player option.

12. calcium

calcium Member

From memory, by the time Dragic left, Lin wasnt even in the picture yet.
    OK, maybe just a twinkle in Morey's eye.

So it wasnt really Dragic or Lin.

It was a case of no Dragic, let's see who is available.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

From this point on Asik is being paid like a player that makes 12 million a season with a 8 million cap hit. If you believe he is worth 12 Million a season like I do then he is undervalued. As for Lin you have to consider he will get better with time and a bigger role with a high usage rate AND the fact that he's biggest contribution is off the court in the marketing department. Still is probably not fullfilling the the value of his contract but it's not horrible. Especially if the Rockets give the team they trade him too the rest of the cash allotment.

14. hamsession

hamsession Member

Funny how last year, nobody gave a crap about Dragic. Now he has a coach that has guys set 3 screens for Dragic until he can go 1-on-1 against the PF or C, slower guys who are more comfortable in the paint.

At some point in the future, TNT will only show box scores and not the games itself.

15. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

The fact that anyone, from standard fansite member to ESPN talking head, even mentions the balloon payment is astonishing to me. It's totally irrelevant. As long as a team doesn't take the cap hit, who gives a ****? Paying 5 million or 15 million is the same thing to Leslie Alexander, and in the end, IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY!

Lin has lived up to, or within range of, his contract. Sure, he's had off nights, but 5-7 million for his game is not ridiculous. Asik has done the same, MINUS his inexcusable temper tantrum (but that is another issue).

16. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Lol simmons should work for TMZ

17. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, Dragic wanted the player option and we did not want to give it. When the two sides couldn't reach an agreement Morey turned his efforts to Lin and went for him aggressively because we needed a quality point guard. I do not remember Morey choosing Lin over Dragic. If anything it was more like Lin for 3 years on a poison pill over Dragic for 3 years with a 4th year player option.

1 person likes this.
  18. Karolik

Karolik Member

well..at least they're not #1...right? :(

19. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Ummm, shouldn't you like not post something like this if we want to get rid of these guys? It may other gms think twice

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

The option was a PG on a 3 year contract or one with 3 years + a player option.