1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jemele Hill:Dwight should go to Houston

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, May 4, 2013.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9231725/dwight-howard-sign-houston-rockets

As much as he'd like to think of himself as a Hollywood guy, maybe he just isn't. He thrived in the smaller big-city environment of Orlando, and Houston offers much of the same.

Houston is a much bigger media market than Orlando, but it's much smaller than Los Angeles. While the Rockets have won two NBA titles and fans who are nearly 20 years removed from that glory want another, there still wouldn't be nearly as much pressure on Howard in Houston as there would be in Los Angeles.

James Harden is a better player than anyone on the Lakers' roster, with the exception of Bryant. Harden needs a legitimate partner to elevate the Rockets in the NBA hierarchy. Chandler Parsons is an emerging young player. Center Omer Asik justified the $25 million contract he received with career highs this season in points and rebounds.

And if you're Howard, would you rather be coached by D'Antoni or Kevin McHale, one of best post players in NBA history? Under McHale, perhaps Howard's offensive game could finally fully blossom.

Howard could win a title in Houston. He could build his own identity without worrying about always being compared to Magic, Kareem or Kobe.

Thoughts?

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Already posted bro.

3. val_modus

val_modus Member

Good read, but last sentence baffles me... In Houston he'd be getting compared to perhaps the 3 of the best centers of their respective generations (Malone, Dream, Yao)

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

My bad bro :(

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, but its Houston. I could see it being a big deal in LA where the media is on you 24/7... but not in Houston.

6. Mariachi ROCKET

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is there anyway that Howard could play Power Forward?

Rocket River

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

Hypothetically, I believe so.

But it is ineffective on the offensive end because of the lack of jumpshot from both Howard and Asik.

When we had Yao and Mutombo, Yao at least had a respectable jumper. Not to mention, Yao also had a post game that is far better than Asik's and Howard's post game combined.

9. thething

thething Contributing Member

We could do a Asik/Howard frontcourt on occasion but not fulltime. You need some sort of spacing.

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I hate Jemele Hill.

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

What is the difference in take home pay if he signs with Houston or LA?

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's slightly more per year in Houston due to discount rates since the first season is the same, and the gap doesn't become pronounced until the last cpl years.

If he moves his domicile to Houston, he then saves money on his sponsorships and investments (surely he would have at least 50m, if not more in investments)

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I always knew Jemele Hill was my favorite person of all time.