1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy claims the NBA blocked ESPN from hiring Stan Van Gundy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by diehardNFFL, Oct 22, 2012.

1. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

2. conquistador#11

I wouldn't put it pass der commissar stern. He already has to handle on Gundist wanting an uprising in the league, now he would have to deal with 2!

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Too much information in the opening post, can't handle it.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

lol espn running the story that says espn is anti svg

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can't say I really blame them. The van Gundy brothers don't know when to shut up. They're daring their employers to fire them all the time.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You can't blame the league for shredding the few fig leafs of journalistic integrity that ESPN is supposed to have?

8. redlawn

redlawn Member

The NBA really need a new commisioner. From blatantly giving #1 pick to NO to the really inconsistent trade rejections (Chris Paul, etc.) to now this. What is this guy doing as an NBA commissioner? He's like a midget king bent on showing off his power.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

#9 J.R., Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The NBA is not their employer anymore. ESPN succumbs to their business partner.

It's like if CNN was a business partner with the Democratic Party and succumbed to the political pressure of not hiring someone who exposed dirty laundry of the political party. That's messed up.

1 person likes this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

SVG is the one who doesn't know when to shut up and is sleeping in the bed he made for himself. JVG exercises a measure of self-control and is the best NBA commentator in the business. In this instance, he is standing up for his brother.

They are very different from each other.

12. Arthurprescott2

This is usually the kind of thing Simmons would rant about. Except this time, he doesn't want to jeopardize his place on the show.

13. JuanValdez

ESPN just saved themselves a bunch of headache by passing on Stan. They hired Jeff and looked what happened -- he threw them under the bus. I love the van Gundy brothers; they are interesting personalities and they really know basketball. But, they'd drive me insane if they were my employees. So what if they did the NBA a favor; their integrity as a news organization (so far as it matters for sports news) doesn't hinge on Stan.

If SVG thinks the NBA blackballed him, he could try suing them. I find the way he throws blame all over a bit tiresome. He blames the refs for calls, blames Dwight for getting him fired, blames the Magic for mishandling the situation and now blames the NBA for blacklisting him and ESPN for bowing to pressure. It could just be that Stan's a jerk and that's why he gets treated this way.

14. thething

thething Contributing Member

If everything is done right, the league shouldn't have anything going on that they would need to shut up about.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Like? Or is?

16. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

SVG is my role model.

17. JuanValdez

I'm guessing from the quotes that Stan has basically no evidence that the NBA said anything to ESPN at all about him. He did an interview and then wasn't hired. So, he's guessing the NBA blackballed him. He doesn't know it's true, but he hasn't let that stop him from telling every Tom, Dick and Harry that the NBA and ESPN are in cahoots. There doesn't have to be anything nefarious going on for SVG to open his mouth.

18. Awesome

Awesome Member

I think these guys need to keep quiet.

Some battles aren't worth fighthing and this might be one of them.

I highly doubt they find any opportunities on the scale of the NBA, and shouldn't jeporadize any future opportunities

19. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

"Chris Paul, etc."? When else has the league blocked a trade for these inconsistent reasons? As far as I know that was the only time and it only happened because the league owned the team involved in the trade. Whether you like their "basketball reasons" or not, you can't say that that is a recurring theme in any way...

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is a one-time event for JVG accusing ESPN. Couldn't agree with you more on SVG. The way most people here were praising him after he threw the Magic and Dwight Howard under the bus was misguided.