1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Goodman Mock Draft 1.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by J.R., Feb 12, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...ock-draft-10?ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanMD1

Goodman: 2014 NBA mock draft 1.0

Andrew Wiggins was the front-runner entering the season, but I cautioned people that there was a good chance he wouldn't end up going No. 1 come June.

Wiggins is still in the mix for the top spot, but after talking to numerous NBA executives and general managers, it's his teammate -- skilled 7-footer Joel Embiid -- who has surged to the front. In fact, Wiggins could slide all the way down to No. 3.

Most NBA folks agreed that the top five -- at this point in time -- is fairly solid. However, it gets complicated after that group, as there's a significant drop-off. This draft is loaded with quality wings, and eight of the top nine guys are freshmen, with the lone exception hailing from Australia.

Remember, this isn't a mock draft based on what I would do. It's based on information gathered from NBA executives, college coaches and other industry sources. The draft order is based off of Chad Ford's NBA 2014 Lottery Mock Draft tool and reverse standings as of Sunday, Feb. 9.

1. Joel Embiid | C | Milwaukee Bucks
    College: Kansas | Age: 19 | 7-0, 250

Bucks GM John Hammond will choose the player he thinks has the best chance of being a star. Right now it's a three-man race, but sources indicate Hammond loves the skill, size and rapid progression of Embiid. The Cameroon native is new to the game and has tremendous upside. Embiid can help the Bucks on both ends of the court, and while he recently told ESPN.com he might return to school, most feel that he'll be in June's draft.

2. Jabari Parker | SF | Philadelphia 76ers
    College: Duke | Age: 18 | 6-8, 241

New GM Sam Hinkie already has a talented young point guard in Michael Carter-Williams, and they drafted a defensive presence in Nerlens Noel -- so their biggest need is a big-time scoring wing. This won't be an easy call between Parker and Wiggins, but the Sixers need someone who can be a reliable scorer and Parker is more suited to help right away.

3. Andrew Wiggins | SG | Orlando Magic
    College: Kansas | Age: 18 | 6-8, 200

General manager Rob Hennigan selected Victor Oladipo in the same spot a year ago, and he could add another freak athlete to the team in Wiggins. The Magic just need to accumulate talent, and Wiggins has as much as just about anyone in this draft.

4. Julius Randle | PF | Sacramento Kings
    College: Kentucky | Age: 19 | 6-9, 225

The Kings could pair DeMarcus Cousins and Randle -- a pair of ex-Kentucky Wildcats -- together on the front line. Randle would alleviate pressure from Cousins because of Randle's ability to rebound at a high level. Randle's also capable of stepping out on the perimeter, which would allow the two to play together.

5. Dante Exum | G | Utah Jazz

The Jazz have a terrific young point guard in Trey Burke, and a couple of bigs in Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. Utah could use a combo guard with size and athleticism. While Exum is a risk because of his relatively low exposure, he could pay off in long run and the Jazz might be getting a star.

6. Noah Vonleh | PF | Boston Celtics
    College: Indiana | Age: 18 | 6-10, 240

Celtics boss Danny Ainge will take the player he feels has the best chance of becoming a star in the league, and that's Vonleh. He's a local kid who still is figuring out where to score, but he's a versatile forward who is coachable and just scratching the surface of his immense talent.

7. Aaron Gordon | PF | Cleveland Cavaliers
    College: Arizona | Age: 18 | 6-8 1/2, 210

The Cavs fired GM Chris Grant last week and it'll be interesting to see if acting GM David Griffin will be in power to make the call once the season ends. Cleveland needs to prioritize character here, and Gordon gives them a hard-playing forward who will continue to improve his weakness -- shooting the ball.

8. Tyler Ennis | PG | Los Angeles Lakers
    College: Syracuse | Age: 19 | 6-2, 180

The Lakers can go from one Canadian point guard to another. Ennis has risen up the draft boards more than anyone since the start of the season because of his ability to run a team, make quality decisions and knock down the open shot.

9. James Young | SG | Denver Nuggets
    College: Kentucky | Age: 18 | 6-7, 200

The Nuggets really need a knock-down shooter, and Young can become exactly that in time. Right now he's inconsistent, but he's long and can do more than just shoot the ball from deep.

10. Doug McDermott | SF | Charlotte Bobcats
    College: Creighton | Age: 22 | 6-7, 210

The Bobcats get this pick from Detroit as long as it's not in the top eight. They desperately need someone to space the floor, and McDermott has proven in his college career he can score and shoot it from deep.

11. Rodney Hood | SF | Philadelphia 76ers
    College: Duke | Age: 21 | 6-8, 180

The 76ers get this pick from New Orleans as long as its not in the top five. Look for them to go with a skilled wing who can shoot the ball. Why not make it a Duke double-dip for Hinkie who grabs Hood at this slot. Hood has length and can make shots from deep.

12. Nik Stauskas | SG | Minnesota Timberwolves
    College: Michigan | Age: 20 | 6-6, 190

Flip Saunders could use a lights-out shooter, and Stauskas is one of the best in the country. However, he's more than just a shooter, as he has proven this season. He has size, is athletic and is extremely adept at reading ball-screens.

13. Willie Cauley-Stein | C | Orlando Magic
    College: Kentucky | Age: 20 | 7-0, 220

Though the Magic have burgeoning star Nikola Vucevic, Hennigan needs a legitimate big man who can protect the rim -- and that's where Cauley-Stein comes in. He's not overly skilled, but he still is raw and has an NBA-ready body.

14. Marcus Smart | PG | Memphis Grizzlies
    College: Oklahoma State | Age: 19 | 6-4, 225

He was regarded as a high lottery pick a year ago, and his stock has dropped somewhat due to the incident at Texas Tech. But it's taken a more significant hit because his perimeter shot hasn't improved. Smart would be an ideal backup to Mike Conley Jr., giving the team a physical defensive-minded guard.

15. Dario Saric | SF | Chicago Bulls

The Bulls unloaded team stalwart Luol Deng, trading him to the Cleveland Cavaliers for an assortment of draft picks. Saric is long and skilled, but to be able to produce in the NBA he needs time to gain strength. He can get that opportunity in Chicago.

16. Gary Harris | SG | Atlanta Hawks
    College: Michigan State | Age: 19 | 6-4, 210

The Hawks have a couple of quality forwards in Al Horford -- when healthy -- and Paul Millsap. What they need is a reliable wing scorer. Harris gives them that -- and also someone who can defend his position.

17. Zach LaVine | SG | Phoenix Suns
    College: UCLA | Age: 18 | 6-5, 180

New general manager Ryan McDonough loves speed and athleticism, and LaVine has no shortage of both. He's raw, but he is a freak athlete who can also shoot the ball from the perimeter.

18. Jordan Clarkson | G | Chicago Bulls
    College: Missouri | Age: 21 | 6-4, 180

Bulls general manager Gar Forman needs to cover himself in case Derrick Rose continues to be injury-prone. In the event of yet another Rose injury, while Clarkson isn't a pure point guard, he can play both backcourt spots and offer the Bulls some insurance.

19. P.J. Hairston | SG | Boston Celtics
    NBA D-League: Texas Legends | Age: 21 | 6-5, 220

Hairston is lighting up the D-League, which isn't all that much to brag about. Ainge won't be concerned with Hairston's problems at North Carolina. Instead, he'd be ecstatic to add a tough, strong wing who has deep range and can also finish around the basket.

20. Kyle Anderson | PG | Toronto Raptors
    College: UCLA | Age: 20 | 6-9, 235

The Raptors might need a point guard with the potential loss of impending free agent Kyle Lowry either at the trade deadline or at the end of the season. While Kyle Anderson doesn't necessarily look the part, he is 6-foot-9, can initiate offense and makes those around him better.

21. Mario Hezonja | SF | Utah Jazz

The Jazz can match any offer for Gordon Hayward after the season, but they could use an insurance policy. There's uncertainty whether Hezonja will be in June's draft, but he has tremendous skill and potential.

22. Wayne Selden | SG | Oklahoma City Thunder
    College: Kansas | Age: 19 | 6-5, 230

Sam Presti has to be concerned about Russell Westbrook's health, and Selden could be a nice addition to the backcourt in time. The question is whether Selden decides to come out or not.

23. Jerami Grant | SF | Phoenix Suns
    College: Syracuse | Age: 19 | 6-8, 203

This is the second of three first-round picks for the Suns. While the team has fared well with its underwhelming front line, McDonough will likely try and upgrade. Grant is long, athletic and his skill level is constantly improving.

24. Adreian Payne | PF | Houston Rockets
    College: Michigan State | Age: 22 | 6-10, 225

Terrence Jones is playing well, but GM Daryl Morey won't be able to pass up on Payne if he slips all the way to No. 24. Payne is a skilled and versatile forward who can score in a multitude of ways. He could add to the Rockets' stash of young, athletic reserve players.

25. Semaj Christon | PG | Los Angeles Clippers
    College: Xavier | Age: 21 | 6-3, 185

The Clippers could use a backup for Chris Paul, because they aren't certain whether Darren Collison is the answer, as well as the fact that Collison is an unrestricted free agent. Christon is a scoring point who could certainly spell CP3 and learn the position from one of the best point guards in the game.

26. T.J. Warren | SF | Charlotte Bobcats
    College: NC State | Age: 20 | 6-8, 233

The Bobcats have seen plenty of Warren down the road in Raleigh. He can really put the ball in the basket. He's a big, strong guard/forward who can come off the bench and get buckets. He doesn't have the deepest range, but he's got a great feel for the game.

27. Glenn Robinson III | SF | Miami Heat
    College: Michigan | Age: 20 | 6-6, 210

The son of the "Big Dog" is frustratingly inconsistent, but he's still blessed with tremendous athleticism. If there's a team that can afford to roll the dice and has a guy who can help get Robinson to play hard every night, it's Miami and LeBron James.

28. Montrezl Harrell | PF | San Antonio Spurs
    College: Louisville | Age: 20 | 6-8, 235

The Spurs are getting old and need athleticism and fresh legs. Harrell is an energy guy who can help on the glass and also learn from watching Tim Duncan for a year or two.

29. C.J. Fair | F | Oklahoma City Thunder
    College: Syracuse | Age: 22 | 6-8, 212

I'm not sure whether Fair is a small forward or a power forward, but he's a player, and the word is Oklahoma City general manager Presti is a fan of his production and versatility. Fair is athletic, long, a gifted runner and can jump through the roof.

30. Clint Capela | PF | Phoenix Suns

The Suns, with three first-round picks, will likely go the international route with at least one, and Capela fits what the Suns need -- an athletic big man who can run the floor, rebound and block shots.​

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

It's a solid list, I think. I especially like his prediction that all 3 of Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid will be in the East.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Smart falling to 14 seems like an incredible trade-up prospect to me. I don't know if he'll fall that far and we've got a long way to go (a lot will happen still) until the draft, but just as a defensive point guard that can drive/score alone, I would think he's worth more than that. Great size and strength for the position... that alone reminds you some of a Rose or Westbrook type. If he develops an outside shot, he could be a star in this league.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

If this really happened we would again have anouther PF

I'm kinda annoyed Doug McDermott has shot up this much, I thought he waould always be a guy drafted around the 20 mark and was a potential chance to fall to morey

Also zach laVine at 17 along with smart at 14 are huge steals

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The bolded part is what makes me most optimistic about this draft.

Barring a move at the trade deadline, I think the Rockets could most use another young quality wing out of this draft. Sure, if you can find a potential star at any position, you take him; but if we're talking "need" picks, I'd tend to take a quality SG/SF over a PG or PF of similar quality. (No issue stocking up on a high-quality C, though.)

With the Rockets likely drafting in the mid-20s (their own first rounder) and in the late 30s/early 40s (the Knicks' second rounder), it is quite likely that the Rockets could get two pretty good players out of this draft. The depth at the wing positions could even make it possible for the Rockets to take a "draft-and-stash" pick in the first round (someone like a Clint Capela or a Bogdan Bogdanovic) and still have a wing they have rated as a first round talent fall to them with that Knicks pick.

(The benefit of going "draft-and-stash" with a first rounder would be that, if that player agreed to stay overseas until 2016, the Rockets would be able to further clear cap room for a major 2015 free agent run.)

Not saying that I would forgo a top talent in the first round just for the sake of going "draft-and-stash" there. Just saying that it's a possibility.

6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bima - do you see Morey trading any of these picks to try and get a better pick in this year's draft?

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Homer alert, but I've actually thought for a while (Clutch can vouch for it :)) that Clarkson might fit here. Obviously wing is a need, and Clarkson has a VERY strong all-around game, draws a ton of fouls, finishes well in traffic with both hands, etc. His main weakness is that he's only a so-so shooter from deep. But Daryl seems to take gambles on guards with diverse skills (Lowry, Lin, Beverley, etc.) and the belief that 3-point shooting can be improved over time. To me, Clarkson could fit that profile.

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Dario Saric seems too high and I can't believe Thansis Antetokounmpo is not in around the late first.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Of course Morey will explore his options. If he can move up far enough into the first round to draft someone he thinks is special, then you bet he'll try.

Barring trades, this current roster will remain largely intact next year. The only free agents will be Garcia (only if he declines his player option), Brooks and Smith (who very well may still be extended a qualifying offer). Maybe Parsons, if the Rockets purposely decline their option on his contract in order to bring him back under a new contract. Brewer probably gets traded or cut before next season. Still, there really isn't a ton of room to add 2-3 rookies to this roster, especially if 2014-15 is going to be a "win now" season.

(Of course, watch Daryl make 3-4 trades between now and training camp, rendering everything I just said meaningless.)

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Assuming that Smith is not traded I would be shocked if he were left to just walk. He may or not be in DM the GM's plans on-court but I certainly believe he is in the plan to used as the A-word.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

At this point, the player I'm highest on is Jabari Parker. That could change if Wiggins continues to improve and takes a dramatic leap forward in March. Embiid is an amazing prospect, but I don't see him contributing for at least 2-3 years whereas Parker could come in and play big minutes immediately.

If Philly ends up with either Parker or Wiggins as a running mate to MCW, they'll be a fun team to watch.

Barring some sort of injury, I'd be willing to bet everything that he doesn't fall that far.

If he is drafted outside of the top 10, he'd be a great get for any team. I think he could be a backup immediately and before long be a starter.

If we were to somehow acquire him I'd be very excited. He'd be a good player and/or a very nice trade chip.

12. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Why should Šarić be ranked lower? He's been playing outstanding basketball in the last few months and has really stepped up for Cibona. I'm surprised he isn't in the top 10.

13. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

If Smart falls to 14 then Morey better do everything he can to pick him up. I think he's going to be a very good player. No chance he falls outside of the top 10 though. :(
    On a side note, I really hope the Heat don't get Glenn Robinson III.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Hmm, would MIL really take Embiid with the 1st? They already have Sanders, Henson and Alphabet all in the frontcourt. I think the Bucks are waiting to see if Sanders lives up to the first year of that big contract. So far, he isn't (because injuries, etc.)

I think they take Wiggins if Sanders pans out, Embiid if he doesn't (and trade Sanders for goodies, if it comes to that).

Knight
    Wiggins
    Ilyasova
    Henson
    Sanders

is solid.

15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would this really be a fit here for Morey and the team?

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

Lakers should go with Hood if this is how the draft will play out

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

Greek Freak?!!

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tyler Ennis WOW!

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Would love to end up picking at 17-20 in this draft (via trade) and seeing what falls there.

20. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Any GM that takes Ennis over Smart should be fired