1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Bzdelik Retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Sep 16, 2018.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

I was hoping for at least one more season with Coach Bzdelik. Green, Ennis, Clark and Chriss need his guidance and structure the most.

We are going to miss the little details he was so famous for because he watched so much film and was so familiar with each opponent.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yep, make him highest paid assistant if necessary.

macan likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Disaster offseason just got even more disastrous. Incredibly big loss.

Last year was our shot. Oh well.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm optimistic that "he" wasn't as important as the "role" of a DC itself which was required as MDT completely ignores teaching that part of the game. If that's the case then any competent full time DC would do a fine job. Ideally we find someone with defensive experience to come in as a replacement and Mike Woodson makes too much damn sense. He's a great D coach too.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agree - especially relevant after Pops lost his wife this past season - you don't get that time away from your family back.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Mike Woodson makes too much sense and might be an upgrade over Bzdelik.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And he can step up to head coach when Melo gets Dan Tony fired again.

ipaman likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just like Bzdelik and MDA, Woodson was fired as head coach of Melo. o_O

That said, Woodson was Chris Paul's asst for 3yrs in recent past. Paul usually gets what he wants...and can even lend Tilman some money, if needed.

ipaman likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Woodson already replaced MDA as head coach after Melo got him fired, then Woodson got fired as Head Coach of Melo.

And Bzdelik was the first HC of Melo to be fired.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

I dont wanna blame Melo or anything... but I'd be lying if I said I wasnt turning on him a little. Damnit man, I'm honestly hoping it really has nothing to do with our roster situation and more about his family. That would be totally understandable.

12. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

13. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, but by retiring now Rockets will have the continuity of the same defense in two years when they are defending their championship.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This seems odd so close to the start of the season. I'm sure Jeff had contemplated it before , but would you walk away from a team on the verge of an NBA title? I have to think that Melo was a factor and that's too bad. I don't see Roy being the disciplinarian that Jeff is and that's important for this MDA led team.

Good luck Jeff in retirement, thank's for the two years of awesome defense.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

WTF! Well isn't this a turd in the punch bowl.... smh...

Better do something... cause as much as everybody wants to worship MDA, I dont think that dude was doin much steering of the defensive gameplan...

JVG as an associate head coach coach to oversee the defense?

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yeh but is that plan "we'll be fine... we got guys that can step into the role..." Tell me you can't hear him saying that in your head...

It's not like he ever put much emphasis on defense before...

Will likes this.
  17. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Foolish to blame his retirement on Melo.

18. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Who's the next man up?

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

After a few more hours to digest, I still hate this for the Rockets.

I also don’t think Woodson is the answer either. I’m an IU guy and very much know Woodson’s history here and around the NBA. Good dude, knows basketball, but never thought he got the best out of guys. Not sure why, it’s just my feeling.

whiskeyred and D-rock like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Biglydick didn't strike me as a disciplinarian. You never saw him taking anyone to task on the sidelines for blowing an assignment. He was a calm, steady presence who apparently had designed a good system and got the players to buy into it.

You're right that Roy isn't a disciplinarian, but he's also a calm presence. I know that he's one of the hardest workers you'd ever come across, and if his only job is to take that same system that everyone's already been taught and get the new guys up to speed on it, I'm confident he can get that done. In-game adjustments are another matter, but time will tell on that. Roy is a very smart, humble guy, and not the type to bring drama into a situation. He should be fine in the interim period at least.

Hell, CP3 could probably run the defense at this point. It'll be a huge help for Roy to have a guy like that around.