1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jazz suck and have always sucked] Trip down the memory lane

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, May 5, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

One of the most used phrases by Jazz fans during last night's shellacking they received was something along the lines of,

"Never been on the receiving end of beat down in Salt Lake City such as this."

Don't believe them. It's a lie. I immediately thought about the game below during halftime.

Year: 1995
    Venue: Delta Center, Salt Lake City.
    Situation: Game 2 of 1995 playoffs. Rockets had HCA in best of 5 series.

Rockets came in down 0-1 and absolutely annihilated them.

Scored 140 points on their court. Everyone was making 3s. Hakeem was blocking everything at the rim. Although he did have a quiet playoff game on the offensive end (only 11-22 for 27 points) on some casual plays.

We took 26 3 pointers that game and made 19 of them. 68% from the 3!

We pioneered the 3 point barrage 20 years before we made them fashionable, folks!

Pete "The chili" Chilcutt was 3-5 from the 3. The guy on the roster that probably had to borrow money from Hakeem and Clyde for food/transportation after the games. Take note, Ryan Anderson.

It was absolutely glorious to watch the Jazz scumbags and their fans shell shocked on their own homecourt. We shut down their perennial "This is our year" chant. Only for one game though. They started right back up with that **** in the next game, until we shut them down for good in the final game of the series, on their own home court, with a comeback in the finals minutes of the game. lol...delusional Jazz fans.

Last night's game reminded me of the ownage from 1995.

saleem, Caesar, RocketWalta and 15 others like this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That playoff run, in my opinion, is still the greatest in NBA history. They did not have homecourt in any series. Their toughness on the road was legendary.

The Jazz won 60 games that year and were 33-8 at home -- the Rockets beat them there twice in a 5-game series.

The Suns were 32-9 at home and the Rockets won there twice, both in elimination games.

The Spurs were 33-8 at home and 5-1 against the Rockets in the regular season. The Rockets won every single game in San Antonio in that series (3-0).

And if that wasn't amazing enough -- the Orlando Magic were 39-2 at home... and the Rockets took the first two in Orlando en route to the sweep and second straight NBA championship.

saleem, ElDobleK, Caesar and 24 others like this.
  4. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Epic, and a blast to revisit, echoing @Clutch that run has to be considered one of the greatest, period.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Mark Eaton and Stockton bothering Hakeem for an autograph after game 3 last night.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Caesar, today, Patience and 2 others like this.
  6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Fun Fact:

Rockets went down 0-2 in the series after losing the first two games on their own homecourt. In both games they were up by around 20 entering the 4th quarter.

Media labeled the Rockets and Houston as Choke City.

Rockets then went on to win next two games in Phoenix after being down by a lot in Game 3. They then went on to win the series.

The term Clutch City was born during series.

So where is the fun fact?

Clint Capela was born a day after Game 5 of this series.

Yes, Clint was born the same time "Clutch City" was born.

saleem, Caesar, Patience and 4 others like this.
  7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you believe in destiny?

Zboy likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Stockton grabbing Dream's elbow to try and slow him down. Old cheater habits die hard.

9. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

He's so good at cheating, you can't even see him grabbing. Sneaky bastid.

Zboy likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Trying to double team Hakeem even in retirement. These guys...

TracywtFacy, Invisible Fan and Zboy like this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

One of the great games in Rockets history. I believe Dream scored like 40+ in game one and we lost by 2 or something. Max came in late in the game to take the last shot but missed and then he left the team. The Rocks came out in game 2 just killing it. Chilly Pete went nuts. I think I watched this game about 30 times on my old VHS. The shooting was ridiculous. Horry had a couple pretty sweet slams too.

saleem and Zboy like this.
  12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

Caesar, Zboy and Patience like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I fully agree. The 94 championship was great because it was hard fought and because it put an end to Houston's championship drought. The Rockets were the favorites that year but had to gut it out. There was joy but also really a sense of relief. The 95 one though was one that seemed so unlikely that the final victory was all the sweeter. It also silenced so many doubters out there especially the final sweep of the Magic that many had considered the next dynasty. It will gall me for the rest of my life that that Rockets team though still never gets the full recognition they deserve as so many still want to put an asterisks on those wins..

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another great thing about kicking the Jazz asses at home is remembering how many duds the Rockets have had in SLC. I'm still haunted by the 2007 game when only 4 Rockets could score.

saleem likes this.
  15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I can't take a guy that wants to 'trade away Capela' threads seriously.