1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz acquire Marshall, Fortson to Golden State

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Aug 14, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<a href="http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,190007579,00.html?">Jazz make deal for Marshall</a>

The Utah Jazz sure are active this offseason. Dammit.

Come on Rockets... after drafting Collier, a little progress wouldn't hurt.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's safe to say the Rockets had no interest in Fortson, or at least didn't think he was worth the exception. Hot Rod Williams and Robert Pack for Fortson? Boston practically gave him away.

------------------
    Metal Sludge

3. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

For managing to unload Jason Caffey and Donyell Marshall in one offseason, I hereby nominate Garry St. Jean for Executive of the Year. [​IMG]

------------------

4. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Damn, the Rockets missed out on Fortson. I can't understand why the overall perception on this board by the bigwigs is that Fortson would not have fit in the Rockets mold. He would have fit a whole lot more than Mo Taylor ever will. The Rockets will regret not going after Fortson this offseason.

------------------

5. Swopa

If you hate the Jazz, though, it should amuse you that next year they may be starting two member of last year's 19-63 Warriors team (Starks and Marshall).

------------------

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to attempt to make heypartner proud, with some Misinformation I stumbled across.

By working the sign-and-trade for the Eisley, the Mavs keep their middle-class exceptions for this year and next. Nelson said the next year's exception is expected to be around $4 million.

"One of the big things that we gained out of this was our exception this year and our exception next year," Nelson said.

Didn't Uncle Mark say the Mavericks would hit free agency hard next year (go after Webber, resign Finley)? To do that, they'd have to be under the cap, and teams only get exceptions if they're over the cap.

What does this year's exception (2.25) have anything to do with next years? I believe Nelly is a little confused of the 2.25 exception, which can be used every year, and the 1 million exception, which can only be used every other year.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited August 15, 2000).]

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

That is confusing Nike. I was under the same impression. I highly doubt the Mavs will be in the running for Webber. But you bet they will do anything to keep Finley. Is Bradley a free agent after this year? That would clear about 7 mil. in cap room???? I could be wrong, but I doubt that Nellie will keep the overpaid Bradley around. Especially since WANG ZHI ZHI is the next Maverick center! [​IMG]

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------

8. Swopa

The reference to "the exception next year" means that if they had to sign Eisley for $2.25M this year, it would be only a one-year deal and they'd have to use next year's exception (which will go up to $4M) to bring him back.

You're right about the larger implication of this, which is that Dallas will probably not be a major FA player next year. Since the major FAs are likely to be Webber (who won't sign with Nellie's team) and Finley (who they want to keep), they seem to think there's no one worth renouncing Trent, Bradley et al. for.

------------------