1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaw Pain from Alcohol?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chestr, Dec 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

this is why i stick to tea with jam and bread.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Found the source:

[​IMG]

3. likestohypeguy

I have the opposite problem... Get weird pains exactly that and more, but only when I stop drinking.

Based on my experience, and ymmv, but you might want to try drinking more.

4. Handles

Handles Member

Lol WTF. Based on your account age I thought you were at least 40, but this post tells me you’re 13.

I thought you were better than this, Morey.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's not a sign of homosexuality. Just ask his mom.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I never have found an answer, and it's really random for me... I want to say someone mentioned something regarding a nerve hitting just right (I seemed to notice a higher report after people had wisdom teeth removed but this was very anecdotal research on my part and didn't make a ton of sense since the wound healed like 20 years ago for me, so I'd be curious if there actually is any relation)/tmj/sulfite allergy etc.

But to me.... Other than maybe tmj/clenching jaw tight (without knowing while sleeping etc. So just like a delayed relaxation?? Not really sure on that), and alcohol maybe relaxing the muscle/nerve directly that's the only thing that I can think of. Because the sulfite allergy definitely doesn't make sense for me. Because it's short/sudden and doesn't last crazy long or something

Let me know if you find anything, but the random allergy answers I found were definitely not applying to me.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You’re not supposed to chew Jell-O shots

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh and the acidity answer didn't make sense for me either... Based on this only being alcohol, and again, I really think random nerve/muscle/tmj initially relaxing, because it's not permanent, at least not for me... Even if I don't continue drinking and only have like 1-2 drinks.

Does yours last a long time?

9. Handles

Handles Member

Nah only lasts for 1 drink usually. I had another drink later during the game and it was fine.

On wisdom teeth, I did have my lower set removed just last year, but this problem existed for me before then. It’s super random. Doesn’t happen every time I drink (usually doesn’t happen).

From what you’re saying that makes sense to me. Jaw clenching while I sleep or something and those muscles relaxing while I drink. It’s a little odd because it will instantly become sore as soon as I drink, so I’m surprised the jaw muscle would relax that fast. I think something in alcohol must be causing the faster reaction, which is why I thought the acidity answer made some sense. Though I haven’t noticed it with anything other than alcohol, and I like acidic things like lemon/sour/etc.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does it occur immediately when the alcohol enters your mouth?

Or does it start up after it's gone to your stomach and you've digested it?

What happens if you use an alcohol based mouthwash?

Nook likes this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, what you're describing is exactly what I'm having. And that's good to note on the wisdom teeth, I figured that was bullshit, so didn't want to cite it. I really think the muscle or nerve thing is only thing I can think of and it's usually just the first drink and very random at that, and it's instant for me too, so I was thinking maybe nerve reaction somehow and related to muscle but I'm really not sure...

I also agree on acid thing, that answer didn't make sense for me either because I drink plenty of acidity drinks too.

Man, this is great, at least you have the exact same symptoms (well not great but cleared up that junk on wisdom teeth).

#31 CCity Zero, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

that's really interesting point .... I haven't noticed it with mouthwash but will see if I do, also it's super random only on first beer (rarely 2nd), doesn't seem to be digestive, I mean from acidity at least, no reflux or something, and it's instant just like Handles mentions.

And then it's like just completely random, like it's never predictable, like it can happen 1 time out of like 5+/- social events. And then I can even go for a long time and not have it. I've just ignored it when it happens, but now I'm seriously thinking tmj/jaw related because of where it hurts. It also doesn't last regardless if I drink more during the event or stop, so random.... But Handles makes a good point on how instant it occurs. Just really odd ... And as far as health issues, I get annual physicals, like the first few times I had it, I tried to find out anything I could and even spoke with a friend of mine that's a Dr but couldn't find a lot.

#32 CCity Zero, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Also sorry on being redundant on some of my posts on this, just really interesting to finally find someone with the exact same description and not some random post I came across from years ago. On a defunct forum, I didn't even think to search here, so good job!

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Holy necrobump Batman.

Handles likes this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Does it happen with strong teas?

16. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Have you seen an ENT about the pain?

17. Handles

Handles Member

I want to say it’s happened to me before without alcohol but I just can’t remember. Alcohol is the one thing I’ve consistently noticed it. I don’t use alcoholic mouthwash so can’t comment on that.

My symptoms are consistent with CCity Zero. It’s only happens maybe 5-10% of the times I drink. It’s not debilitating pain or even worrisome pain honestly, it’s just annoying and confusing. It’s so instantaneous as soon as my mouth touches the alcohol. I am perplexed but I’m glad someone out there knows what I’m talking about. When I mention to friends they just laugh about it lol. I would too honestly.

And yea I was googling and this thread was like the 7th hit. I thought it was funny and awesome to see it discussed on one of my favorite sites, so I had to comment on it. Never seen an ENT or talked to a doctor about it.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

https://vinepair.com/articles/why-sour-wine-beer-jaw-hurt/
    Why Does My Jaw Tingle When I Drink Sour Wine or Beer?
    It’s a hot day and you’re parched, so you grab a nice, refreshing white wine or sour beer and take a big swig. Immediately, the back of your jaw right underneath your ear tingles in an unpleasant, borderline-painful way. Then, two sips later, you’re completely fine and can drink with impunity. What’s the deal?

First thing to know if you’re concerned is that nothing is wrong with you. That tingling sensation can happen to any person with any type of jaw, from Brad Pitt-chiseled to Jonah Hill-hidden. The reason why your jaw tingles has less to do with your bone structure than your digestive system.

When you taste something sour, tannic, alcoholic, or sugary, your salivary glands go into overdrive. Wine and beer can be all of those things at once. If your mouth is dry, or you’re really thirsty or hungry, more saliva is produced quickly. The largest salivary gland in the human body is the parotid gland, which is a kidney-shaped entity stretching from your ear to your bottom jaw.

That over-production of saliva is one of the first steps in helping you digest food and drinks. A study titled “Parotid Salivation in Response to Tasting Wine,” published by the American Society for Enology and Viticulture, found that salivation noticeably increased when someone consumed a liquid with tartaric acid, tannin, ethanol, and added sucrose (in that order). The study noted that salivary flow measurement could be used “as an analytical technique in the sensory evaluation of foods and beverages.”

The wine doesn’t have to be sour. A tannic red could cause jaw pain because of an intense parotid gland stimulation just like sour tastes can. Some of the types of beer and wine that have a higher chance of causing a tingle: sour beer, Sauvignon Blanc, and Barolo.

So drink up. Your salivary glands will catch up to you and you’ll be comfortably enjoying that wine or beer (or wine and beer) in no time.

19. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I posted that 10 years ago, lol.

I now wonder if it’s a robust saliva excretion across a sphincter trying to stay shut causing pain or even possibly tiny stones partially obstructing hence asking if they’ve been seen by ENT.

There ARE tests that could answer this.