1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jason's Blog] Rockets Summer League Rosters Announced

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rawool, Jul 1, 2009.

1. rawool

rawool Member

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700039468

2. worzel gummidge

No Barrera. I wonder if he's on another SL team or the Rockets lost interest.

3. LG7

LG7 Member

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no surprises there.

i think all eyes will be on the obvious: taylor, budinger, dorsey, white.

the die hard fans will also be interested in: luenen, newley, conroy

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

was barrera a combo guard or a 1 or 2? i think he was a one, so with Lull, brooks, and lowry they probably dont need him....Lull is probably a younger and better version

6. rawool

rawool Member

Random question.. anyone know the whereabouts of Mike Harris and DJ Strawberry?

7. Egghead

Egghead Member

Hassan Adams.... he was awesome in college

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

9. AB#0

AB#0 Member

Cousions was a solid center at UH.

10. Prince

Prince Member

fly White, fly...

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. He was pretty good as a complementary player in the NBA, too. That's a guy to keep an eye on. He could very well get a training camp invite if he plays well in Vegas.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Is that Rod Benson the guy who did "Ball Don't Lie" for Yahoo Sports?

I'm sure it's him!

13. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I wonder who's going to start...

14. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I like this roster. In addition to these guys, I'm intrigued by Temple and Bensen. If Temple could develop some semblence of a shot he could easily make the team.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No, it' some other 6'10'' guy who plays pro basketball named Rod Benson.

16. jwayne

jwayne Member

I would pay close attention to Marcus Cousin, #50, Center out of Houston. Guy can play and he has a good body on him. Interesting pick up...

17. Egghead

Egghead Member

I think Budinger and Taylor will make the team

18. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Is Charles Gaines related to Reece?

19. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

that is the first thing i noticed and the very thing i was going to comment on.

very upset he's not on the roster.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Looks like a decent prospect. I am glad we are evaluating some size at least and I think we got this Dawkins guy to practice with Dorsey so he can get used to going against bigs.

If anyone is interested...

Marcus Cousin, 6-11, Center, Houston
    12.3 points, 8 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 59% FG, 1-1 3P

Jonathan Givony

A late addition to Portsmouth, Marcus Cousin looked like he belonged and then some, actually being one of the more productive big men in attendance. He has some intriguing characteristics, including nice size (he apparently measured 6-10 ½ barefoot), an excellent 7-2 wingspan, and a 248 pound frame that should easily be able to handle another 15-20 pounds of muscle over the next few years. He’s also a good athlete, getting up and down the court well, and being very capable of getting off the ground to finish plays or challenge shots.

Cousin didn’t have a terribly productive college career, having spent his first two seasons at Seton Hall and then transferring to Houston after being mostly a non-factor in the Big East. His only real playing time came as a 5th year senior, where he averaged around 11 points and 8 and a half rebounds per game, to go along with 2.1 blocks.

Never known as much of a scorer, Cousin justified that reputation with the extremely raw footwork and limited post moves he showed with his back to the basket. He did display very nice touch from mid-range, draining a number of shots in the 15 to 17 foot area, as well as a lone 3-pointer. Cousin shot a very solid 76% from the free throw line on the season, so this probably shouldn’t come as that much of a surprise.

Looking back at his film from Houston, he probably could have done a better job scoring this past season if he had some better guards to get him the ball, as he has the hands and finishing ability to at least be a solid finisher around the rim, even if you rarely saw him touch the ball in scoring opportunities created by others in the games we evaluated. He only ranked 4th on a bad team in field goal attempts, but regardless got to the free throw line at a very nice rate.

Despite spending five years in college, Cousin doesn’t look anything like a finished product yet, as he still needs to work on his passing skills and ability to utilize his size inside, as well as improve on the defensive end. He has excellent tools here, but seems to lack strength (especially in his lower body) and fundamentals, being outmuscled at times in the paint, as well as on the glass. He doesn’t move his feet very well on the perimeter—really struggling to hedge screens in pick and roll situations, but is very effective as a weakside shot-blocker, showing nice instincts to go along with his length and athleticism. As a rebounder, he’s fairly effective, but could even be more productive if he put a little more effort in, especially on the defensive glass.

While his basketball IQ may not be off the charts, with good coaching and more experience, Cousin might be able to develop into an Earl Barron type big man over the next few years. While he probably won’t get drafted, he might be the type of player who decides to stick around the States and hangs out in the D-League for a while, just to see if he can get any additional looks as he continues to make strides with his overall game.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Portsmouth-Invitational-Tournament-All-Second-Team-3183/