1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Castro Trade Rumors Swirling

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by yostros99, Nov 12, 2013.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would hope they wouldn't do this just based on the season Max Stassi had last year. Hasn't Stassi had a history of injuries before this past season? I wouldn't want to risk our catching position based on one year from a guy with that history. I know they have other catching prospects too, but right now they are just that, prospects. Unless they got someone in return that is major league ready and can contribute in 2014.

I think it is time to stop trading current MLB talent for prospects. Castro isn't old enough that he wouldn't be around in a couple years when this team ought to be really competing. Try to maintain at least SOME continuity from year to year.

2. justlurken

justlurken Member

They key phrase to me in the article is "teams are showing interest".

Astros aren't actively shopping him, but are listening to folks. I assume by the phrasing the Astros would need to be overwhelmed with a deal to move Castro.

3. yostros99

yostros99 Member

Yea. It's better to be in this spot with teams showing interest instead of dangling the guy. Gives you leverage in a trade. I sure hope they deal Castro if they're overwhelmed.

Also there's no way they trade Castro for more prospects unless it's 2 top prospects that are likely to be in the majors this season (which likely won't happen anyway), otherwise it's for a bigger piece or no piece at all

4. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we loaded with catcher prospects? Where does Castro rank offensively and what is his potential?

5. yostros99

yostros99 Member

Depends how you define loaded. Brian McTaggart doesn't seem to think the Astros have depth at catcher. I'm going to disagree with him as I followed the Astros minors this whole past season for Climbing Tal's Hill. Behind Castro is Max Stassi. He has injury problems as well but hit 17 HR with a .863 OPS in the minors this season. Rene Garcia and Carlos Perez are decent options as well. Tyler Heineman had a good season for the JetHawks. Brett Booth and Brian Holberton way down in the system have some potential. The Astros have some of the best catching depth in the majors, Stassi being the best behind Castro.

Offensively, Castro has been better and better as he's aged. He's 26-years old and hit .276 with 18 HR. He was batting above .300 since the ASB before the injury that ended his season and seems to have possibly officially "broken out" Best case scenario is that Castro is a.285+ hitter with around 20-25 HR. That's All-Star numbers for a catcher. His problems are his defense and his knee problems. If he's forced to move to 1B is his bat enough to justify his spot?

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'd pull the deal if Astros signed Salty.

Castro is the most finished product at the major league level though so it would take a return similar of Hunter Pence for me to want to make the deal

7. yostros99

yostros99 Member

The thing is, the deal with Hunter Pence was fantastic given the state of the team. If the Astros can get that exact same deal I'm not sure they'd take it. If they take a "prospect" trade the prospects would have to be 2014 MLB ready and not 2015 or longer. The Hunter Pence trade brought back prospects that would be ready to shine by this time which is what the plan was. A Castro trade needs MLB ready pieces.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Castro for Buxton

9. awc713

awc713 Member

rather not move castro. we can, for once, actually enjoy watching an astros catcher hit. i doubt teams will give up what we want in return for him, but then again, i trust in luhnow

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

:) :) :)

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Don't do it .

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'd be shocked if he were traded. Good hitting catchers in their 20's are hard to come by. The only reason they should trade him is if they think any injuries will prevent him from playing catcher.

13. Granville

Granville Member

I agree and add to your comments that Castro is the kind of guy you would be trading for. If we have prospects that below him that are near major league they may be able to move those guys other areas of current need.

14. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I doubt that he will get traded, but I would like to know how seriously the front office is taking requests. Stassi is obviously someone that they like, and the catcher position is decently stocked in the minors. I just wonder if Castro will be injury prone. If that is the belief, selling high may be a risk worth taking.

Would he be someone you would want to see traded to TB in place of Springer for Price? Frankly, adding Castro to that deal brings more value than Springer in my opinion. IF Castro is moved as well, it is safe to assume we would be getting some MLB ready players in return.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

There's no way in hell they are even considering trading Springer. Not sure where you came up with that.

16. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Can Castro hit well enough to move to 1B or DH?

17. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I haven't seen anything indicating they wouldn't. Also, a left handed ace? There isn't a price too high for that.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Bingo. I think this is a case of teams calling the Astros sniffing around Castro and the Astros are listening. They would be dumb not to.

19. vince

vince Member

Probably a case of other ML teams seeing the Astros as their own prospect readying club. But if Castro is traded it better bring in quite a haul.

A Castro trade is unlikely in my opinion.