1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jarred Cosart (tracking starts)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, Jul 29, 2013.

1. the shark

the shark Member

7/12 @TB 8.0 IP 2 Hits 0 runs 0 ER 3 BB 2 K's 0.00 era (1-0)

7/23 Oak 7.0 IP 7 Hits 2 runs 1 ER 3 BB 4 K's 0.60 era (1-0) ND

7/28 @Tor 6.0 IP 4 Hits 1 runs 1 ER 5 BB 1 K's 0.86 era (1-0) ND

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's looked progressively worse, which is somewhat predictable. He's also faced 3 pretty good lineups (even though the A's don't score much, they force the opposing pitcher to throw tons of pitches).

His fastball has great life, but he's had less and less control over his other pitches over the last two starts.

He's gonna get rocked before the end of the year... probably due to a bunch of walks. Then again, he'll also post a big K game at some point as well.

I don't feel he has much more to gain by going back to AAA. The coaches and catchers at the big league club should be working on his control for the off-speed stuff. MLB coaching has to have some advantages over minor league coaching... part of the reason why I feel they should just bring Springer up and let him figure out his 2 strike approach at the MLB level. Whatever he tweaks/adjusts at AAA is no guarantee to carry over.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He's a badass, and I'll endure terrible food and service at Buffalo Wild Wings to see all of his starts that I can.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Just go to MMP instead...

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Would be pretty boring for his away starts.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think they would have let me in yesterday afternoon :)

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As good as his results have been despite traffic and low K's, it would certainly seem a regression to the mean start is coming up.

I always have been higher on Cosart than the Keith Laws of the world who seem to insist he is a future relief pitcher. He walks people but the life on his fastball seems to prevent consistent good contact. He's needs to harness the curveball to be an out pitch to really achieve his potential, but his raw stuff alone is gonna make him a solid starter.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perhaps a sustainable ERA in the 2.75 - 3.5 range ?

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think right now an ERA in the mid 3.00's is certainly realistic. I think an ERA in the 2.00's is optimistic given his lack of a true out pitch right now. Either way he obviously isn't gonna maintain an 0.86 ERA. Given that the walk problems finally creeped up in his last start, one of those everything goes wrong starts could be coming up.

I'm still optimistic long term that he can get even better though. Better execution of the curve, and he's an ace type.

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I don't remember seeing a pitcher come up with this level of stuff since oswalt/miller

I'm sure there has been, but it is definitely fun to this kid pitch. I've read some negatives about his mental makeup, but he sure hasn't shown it on the mound.

things are going to get real fun when they call up Asher and Springer

just don't expect us to win a game because our bullpen is in full Rondon--mode

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's not at the level that Oswalt was. Miller sucked when he made his debut.

He is better than Jordan Lyles and Jason Hirsch though.

13. studogg

I thought Miller had early success and then stumbled. I definitely remember it being pretty special that Roy came in and pitched as dominating as he did.

My point was, since then, I haven't seen a pitcher come up with similar presence where you felt they should be on the mound instead of feeling like you have to baby them out there and hope to get them out on a positive note.

14. studogg

double checked myself- you're right. Miller had a couple cups of coffee that were typical for pitchers coming up. However his first extended stay coincided with Roy's rookie year and both were pretty special for such young pitchers.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

16 starts and over 100 IP in 2000 is a little more than a cup of coffee.

His first full year (2001) was better... much like Jared's first full year could be next year. Lets hope he's got better longevity... from what was said in the organization, they all knew Miller would have an arm injury eventually due to his mechanics.

Cosart has been impressive, but there's a sense of "relativity" going on here. He's put together three impressive starts for a team that has not had much to cheer about. Additionally, I'm worried about his secondary pitches getting more and more "wild" with each successive start. Maybe facing a "weaker" lineup will cure some of those issues.

16. studogg

wasn't the same injury concern surrounding oswalt?

17. studogg

and not to pick on you - but there is something about the nitpicking of most baseball board posters which I find highly unappealing.

I conceded my point and noted that he had two trips up using the phrasing cups of coffee before getting his first extended stay and you still felt the need to nitpick? Is this a baseball thing? an internet board thing?

My memory of something that occurred in 2001 was somewhat obscured by oswalt's dominating performance and how well miller pitched that year. I also remember the additional ferver in the thought that we had tim redding coming up behind them.

Furthermore, my original point about Cosart was in having a similar feeling with a good young pitcher up doing his thing, with multiple arms behind him that foretell the potential for a promising future.

Yes we all know that injuries can and will derail several prospects careers.... and furthermore,some of these players we are high on just won't pan out.

but for now, when I watch Cosart, I'm genuinely excited for the future.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not really. He had a shoulder injury earlier in the minors that people thought would have needed surgery, but he shocked himself on a car battery and loosened up some scar tissue that had built up and he was fine after.

Oswalt's main problem was his groin... for which he did have surgery eventually.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

'''

Jeez... overreact much?

Was just pointing out that his first extended time was in 2000 (not 2001), where he started 16 games, threw 100+ innings, and took some lumps. Thankfully he improved by the following season (his first full one in the bigs).

Not every starter is dominant when he comes up. Oswalt had one of the best debut seasons in MLB history (let alone Astros history)... and while people would like to compare him to Cosart, I'm just saying it'll be highly unlikely simply because Roy was that good.

Cosart is going to take some lumps too by the time this season ends... but he certainly has some promise that this organization hasn't seen much of since the days of the early 'aughts.

20. studogg

was just pointing out that I see this as a trend on most baseball boards. It's why i've stayed clear of Orangewhoopass SpikesnStars, etc..

There seems to be this need to be absolutely precise when relaying information and I'll be the first to admit I'm an armchair fan.