1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jared Sullinger

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by OremLK, Feb 29, 2012.

1. cod

cod Member

[​IMG]

2. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, I disagree with this statement Love coming out of college. Love's draft range was between 4-12 right up the night of the draft. Nobody knew that he was going to even average 20/10. If that was the case, he would have gone 2nd or 3rd instead of 5th. Remember, this was a very weak draft in which Joe Alexander, DJ Augustine, Jared Bayless, Jason Thompson, and Brandon Rush went 8,9,11,12, and 13th respectively. He was a great rebounder in college with a plethora of post moves. However, his defense was suspect and it's still suspect now. He was also a 6'9, 6'11 wingspan, 255lb PF, not elite measurements by any standards. Sullinger is a good rebounder but not as elite. He is also a little heavier than Love, but with work, he can get to Love body type. Sullinger is only a slightly worse prospect than Love was at this point of their careers.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes. His lack of explosiveness and lateral agility are no doubt his biggest question marks. However, he has more athleticism than some people think. I've seen him dunk in game situations a number of times. He's not an exclusively below the rim guy like Scola. And what he lacks in hops he makes up for in strength, footwork, and fundamentals.

What he's showing now combined with his intense work ethic, those make me believe he can make whatever adjustments it takes to be at least a solid starter, 15/10 type guy in the NBA, and maybe more.

1 person likes this.
  4. Anthony314

Anthony314 New Member

Sullinger is the best low post offensive scorer in this draft or the last few drafts. He should be able to adapt to the NBA game at the 4 by watching guys with similar body type/athletic ability. If he can continue to rebound at the NBA level(collegiate rebounding numbers translate as well if not better than any other stat) then he will be at minimum a solid nba starter. It's unlikely he will ever be a dominant defensive player but its likely he will be a long time efficient post scorer and rebounder in the nba. Now if we did draft him, I have no idea how both him and Donuts would get minutes so one of them would probably get the Marcus Morris treatment next year...

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sullinger as starting center. Donuts comes in as PF off bench. Donuts's problem is more Scola and PatPat than it would be Sullinger if the Rockets got him.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

They'll get taught how to play SF?

:confused:

7. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

The question is, is Sullinger better that Motie/Patterson/Morris's/Derrick Williams/

8. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

...Tristan Thompson/Ed Davis/Ekpe Udoh/Cousins or Favors?

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, yes.

10. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Then we draft him if he comes down to us. If not, now, is he worth trading up for?

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Givony and Thorpe are 2 of the scouts/analysts I respect most on the internet. I too was disappointed how easily Withey had his way with Sullinger. But I also have always felt that was one truth about NCAA vs NBA...

It's more crowded down low and it's harder for Robinson and Sullinger and even to a lesser degree MKG (yes MKG has great scoring skills in the paint and they will be even more impressive in the NBA) to perform down low.

That is also why I was so impressed with Robinson. He had more success than SUllinger and looked more explosive in the tourney. So I am a bit surprised he would not include Robinson who I think will have the biggest immediate impact on some team right at the gate.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Depends on what is being asked for in trade. He is an NBA starting center. I think he'll be like Lowry...a very valuable guy that is notch below the true stars.

13. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

Al horrors?

14. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

Lol, I meant Al Horford