1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Hardens hasn't had a #2 since...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, May 4, 2016.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Please.....whatever it takes to unite the brotherhood again....

2. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

That's not fair to say, the whole team played like #2 all season long.

3. Harden's beard

Harden, AD and Cousins should just join forces, since their teams don't seem to want to provide them with another star that could ease their burden, and ultimately help the team to win. I feel bad for those guys.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a painful condition, he should try some Miralax.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ac1e9LWBPHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Bingo. Repped.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Great points. I just wanted to add that Parsons even threatened Morey not to match Cuban's offer, by saying he didn't want to be forced to come back to the team. I recall he said this within a couple of days after signing the deal with Cuban. Initially, I wanted both Ariza and Parsons, but after hearing this, I realized it wasn't worth to retain him.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

maybe some metamucil will help or some prune juice

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Does it matter? The guy is arrogant as hell and distant from his teammates. Would trade straight up for Damien Lillard without a second thought. Lillard gets his teammates together for bonding...

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm just gonna be honest. How exactly would Durant and Harden work together on offense?

Both require the ball to set up their own game. Durant is good a catch-and-shoot type player, but would he really be okay becoming primarily that type of player? Any true motion offense using two high-volume wings would require at least one being high-energy with constantly moving around picks and screens, which is currently not part of eithers' game or physique. Neither are great screeners or pick-setters to run a PnR with them, plus that offense becomes extremely simplistic and easy to defend as soon as one has a bad night.

If one was to develop some sort of post game, you could work a two-man game with some triangle concepts into it, but neither really has that as part of their repertoire right now.

Then, having both of them truly requires the rest of your starting 5 being above-average to great defensive players or having a great defensive scheme. That team is hard to build.

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

The team isn't designed for Ariza to be shooting covered threes. If he could make those, he'd cost a lot more. Name some role players who can defend who also make covered threes. They tried to surround Harden with defenders who could hopefully make the open three. I don't disagree with that intent. The problem is the defense wasn't delivered. Don't know if it's the players or the coaches or what. But that's clearly what they were going for - long, disruptive defenders who can switch easily on defense and could make enough open shots. It was a mistake to think Brewer could knock down open threes though. He does not fit this system imo.

#70 oakdogg, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Not really accurate. We intended to pay him and would have if Bosh came over. When he didn't we could only match Parsons by giving up all flexibility over years. If Morey had believed Parsons was the last missing piece to go with DH and Harden, he would have signed Parsons. The decision went right down to the wire and at times Morey did plan to match -- he was that much on the fence -- but he wisely opted for flexibility over being locked in with the team we already had. One of a million wise moves that whiz right over your head. And then he pulled Ariza out of nowhere and for two years it was like we didn't miss Parsons at all. But I don't expect you to appreciate the move. The only GM for DD is DD.

DD

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Excellent post. Thanks for the right and proper history. If I'd seen your post before I wouldn't have found it necessary to make my own. Repped.

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

Jesus Christ, re-watch the Portland series.