1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden on Kevin McHale: "He's a clown. He never taught me anything"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 7, 2017.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why don't you just go ahead and @ me next time bro?!?!

:D

2. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

McFail is a McClown for sure.

3. Vivid

Vivid Member

Don't @ me Georgie.

[​IMG]

don grahamleone, Nook, Vin2k2 and 4 others like this.
  4. Progs

Progs Member

Love the passion Jim is showing. The fire raging.

5. RESINator

RESINator Member

Looks like Milk Hair hit a soft spot.

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Nah I think the milk went bad

macho GRANDE and Zboy like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A frequent club goer and quitter called a 3 time NBA champion a clown??

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MORE NATIONAL PRESS. THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-james-harden-calls-his-former-coach-a-clown/

After Kevin McHale’s critical comments, James Harden calls his former coach a clown
    By Jeremy Gottlieb October 7 at 6:06 PM​

There is a new NBA beef, but look a little closer and it’s not really all that new. Former Rockets coach Kevin McHale, fired by Houston 11 games into the 2015-2016 season, made news Friday when he said the Rockets’ franchise player and perennial MVP candidate James Harden was “not a leader.” On Saturday, Harden fired back, saying of the Hall of Famer, “He’s a clown, honestly.”

McHale, now a television analyst, got the ball rolling as part of an NBA TV panel when he said, per ESPN, “James can see all the passes and do everything, but James is not a leader.” After praising the Rockets’ offseason addition of Chris Paul, McHale continued to go in.

“He tried being a leader last year, tried doing all that stuff. . . . But on every team, you have to have a voice. On every team, you have to have somebody that when they say something, people listen. Like if James tells you, ‘You’ve got to play better D,’ are you going to listen to him? Like you’ve got to be kidding me. I lived through it.”

McHale then said that when Harden would bring up defensive effort in the Houston locker room, “everyone did this” and put his head in his hands. “Every time he mentioned defense, everybody would put their head down,” he continued.

Perhaps trying to soften his stance somewhat, McHale went on to say, “I just think Chris Paul will be good for James Harden. It will allow him to just be what he is, which is a phenomenal basketball player, not trying to lead a team. That’s just not his personality.”

Harden was asked about his ex-coach’s stance Saturday and pulled no punches.

“Honestly, he’s never taught me anything, to be a leader,” Harden said. “But I’ve done a great job. The organization, my coaches, you can ask any of those guys, how I’ve worked extremely hard every single day, obviously to be a better basketball player but also to be a leader. And there are different types of leaders as well. So, to go there and downplay my name like that, it shows his character. . . . It shows what type of person he is.”

Harden was then asked if he believes McHale is bitter about the way thing ended in Houston, to which last year’s MVP runner-up responded, “Sure. And I had nothing to do with it. I’m just here to do my job, compete at the highest level I can. But when you’re here, face to face, and you’re telling me one thing, how great a player you are, how lucky he is to be a part of this process, and then go back a few years later and say the opposite, it shows your character, it shows who you really are. And I’m not that type of person.”

McHale coached the Rockets for four-plus seasons, compiling a 193-130 record that included a 56-win campaign in 2014-2015, resulting in an appearance in the Western Conference Finals. Harden averaged 27.4 points, seven assists and 5.4 rebounds per game that year while shooting 44 percent from the field (37.5 percent from three-point range) and getting to the free throw line over 10 times per contest. In the aftermath of that conference finals berth, McHale signed a three-year, $12 million contract extension that was summarily torn up after those first 11 games in 2015.

This wasn’t the first time McHale spoke of Harden in critical terms since his firing. Before the start of last season, when Harden was transitioning to the point guard spot under newly hired Mike D’Antoni, McHale said, “You are who you are a lot of times. . . . Can you change and be a facilitator first? I don’t know.”

Harden went on to average 11.2 assists per game as the Rockets’ floor general, but it stands to reason he won’t be doing that as much with Paul in the fold. Whether McHale chooses to continue the back-and-forth with Harden is another question entirely.​

D-rock likes this.
  9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Have seen so many stupid replies on Twitter. “Except that he’s got three championships!” “He’s got something that Harden can never have, rings.”

These kind of stupidity and twisted logic make me question humanity every single day. I’m richer so I cannot be a god damn ass? I’m more successful so I cannot be a god damn fool? Oh I see.

Fire it up James. Win this god damn thing. Shut these god damn fools up.

Go rockets!

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

This is legendary. Did not expect this

yixiixiy, J.R. and macho GRANDE like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Check any McHale presser after they lose, he always blames the players.

I know people hate the old "I've gotta coach better." cliche, but there is a reason for that, you don't go dissing your players or ex-players in media like this.

McHale still hasn't gotten over being fired but he has to. Look at how JVG has treated the Rockets, they are still his team, he never talked bad about Tmac or Yao, he was a consummate professional. Same with Marc Jackson and the Warriors.

McHale, whenever the rockets are brought up, seems salty.

At least we know what happened that season, looks like the players stopped respecting McHale, which isn't the first time. Wasn't there an old Minny player that came out and said he ran little to no plays?

12. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

If you're the type of player that let your play do the talking, lead by example, if you will, which I think Harden is, and then you quit on the team when it matters most, then it's best if your team doesn't follow your lead. That is, Harden is not a (good) leader. Mchale's quality as a coach doesn't change this fact.

MoonBus likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Rings argument is stupid. McHale got his rings playing, a great player, even still he was on stacked teams

He didn't get them coaching which is how Harden is judging him.

Patience, DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Mchale is incredibly bitter about how the rox let him go .

I think the story of the 15 offseason is riveting and will eventually come out over time .

How did a team like the 14-15 squad turn to such trash next year ?

Lawson ?
    Harden was hurt going into the season ?
    Howard decline / injury ?
    No dmo ?

Ultimately we got trashed and were unprepared on all levels ... It reflects back to the coach and Les ( who many now see as a great owner) had the instinct to fire mchale .

Mchale just didn't have enough X's and O's knowledge to help the team when they got in a rut .

s3ts and D-rock like this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He is a clown.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Glad he did

Miklhair is a clown

yixiixiy, J.R. and macho GRANDE like this.
  17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Damn, but