1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

It's true that my personal interest in the Rockets does seem to make me more critical of Harden than I would've been otherwise (some people have the opposite effect where they see no fault in Harden's game no matter what, which is equally wrong), I still stand by my remark that Harden has too many holes in his game for a supposed MVP caliber player, which objectively does lead to more frustrating watching experience. To what degree Harden's positives outweigh the negatives is up for debate, but in terms of impact stats (such as RPM) Harden is doing OK but not MVP-level-great, not to mention the fact that we seem to do just fine with Harden on the bench. But I wouldn't be surprised if Harden does win it after all, given there are no clear, runaway MVP candidates this season.

#581 brewer's goat, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Wylo and And1redux like this.
  2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

What's your opinion on Steve Nash winning two MVP awards?

3. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

Nash probably deserved the first MVP, but not the second one.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

McHale - Harden as of today. His team is better than OKC. If Westbrook averages a triple-double, I don't know how you don't give him MVP.

Richard Hamilton - Westbrook. Harden has done a great job & has better pieces. To average a triple double...

Greg Anthony - I go with Westbrook. Harden has been phenomenal. Kevin Durant is underrated.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Awful read. "We seem to do just fine with harden on the bench" Awful post, lol. There are more holes in your logic than in James Harden's game I would rather watch Corey Brewer play basketball in a Rockets uniform than to read this awful crap again. There's opinions and you have a right to yours but this is crap.Ever stop and think that maybe you see more holes in Harden's game because you are personally invested and you actually watch him more than anyone else who is MVP caliber player?

BigM and justtxyank like this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Sounds good. Harden will win MVP and Westbrook will get the player's choice.

Has anyone pointed out that when Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double, he didn't win MVP?

#586 BigM, Feb 27, 2017
  7. Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame Member

That was a crazy race, Wilt averaging 50 and 26 and Bill averaging 18 and more than 20 rebounds or something like that

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Let me tell you one thing. If Westbrook wins MVP, it will set a bad precedent for the league

Future players will start stat padding and cherry picking to get their triple double irrespective of how the team is doing. Winning would take a back seat to an individual's stats.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Adidas has been complete trash in pushing Harden's MVP campaign.

Deuce, Stormy1234, RasaqBoi and 2 others like this.
  10. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardeja01/on-off/2017

The Rockets are +5.1 when Harden sits on the bench. That would be 4th best in the NBA overall, and probably the best second unit.

Ever stop and think that maybe you see more positives in Harden's game because you are personally invested as a Rockets fan? Why does the arrow always go one way with people like you? You are just as likely to overrate Harden BECAUSE you are a Rockets fan as I'm likely to underrate him. In fact, the former is more probable than the latter.

#590 brewer's goat, Feb 27, 2017
    Wylo and And1redux like this.
  11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think this is slightly under rated in trying to shape the narrative. They have such a big investment in harden and winning the MVP goes a long way towards reaping the benefits of said investment.

Stormy1234 and Obito like this.
  12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Not to interject in to yalls debate, but the rockets are very good this year because of our dominating bench.

A high quality bench Vs lower quality players (opponents bench) yielding 5.1 more per 100 isn't that surprising considering our starting 5 is slightly above average and plays against much better quality players (starters)

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

im not sure that you can assume that. Every time people talk about Russ they gush about how unprecedented this triple double thing is. Prior to Westbrook no one really ever thought it was possible to average a TD in the NBA.

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I think there's no way James wins it. The narrative has been written -- it is what it is. Better to refocus on what we can do in the postseason.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Listening to former players just heightens my awareness of how much they dislike the style we play.

Harden will struggle the more former players waive in.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  16. dragonz

dragonz Member

Since When a 11th seeded team player win MVP? Answer is NEVER
    The real threat is never Westbrooks, if his team keep sinking on the seeding. Actually LeBron is putting up a good case for himself to win MVP this year, so watch out.

List of MVP and their team seeding by year in recent history:
    Stephen Curry 2016 1st
    Stephen Curry 2015 1st
    Kevin Durant 2014 2nd
    LeBron James 2013 1st
    LeBron James 2012 2nd
    Derick Rose 2011 1st
    LeBron James 2010 1st
    LeBron James 2009 1st
    Kobe Bryant 2008 1st
    Dirk Nowitzki 2007 1st
    Steve Nash 2006 2nd
    Steve Nash 2005 1st
    Kevin Garnett 2004 1st
    Tim Duncan 2003 1st
    Tim Duncan 2002 2nd
    Allen Iverson 2001 1st
    Shaquille O'neal 2000 1st
    Karl Malone 1999 3rd (Tied for 1st best record though)
    Michael Jordan 1998 1st
    Karl Malone 1997 1st
    Michael Jordan 1996 1st
    David Robinson 1995 1st
    Hakeem Olajuwon 1994 2nd
    Charles Barkley 1993 1st
    Michael Jordan 1992 1st
    Michael Jordan 1991 1st
    Magic Johnson 1990 1st
    Magic Johnson 1989 1st
    Michael Jordan 1988 3rd
    Magic Johnson 1987 1st
    Larry Bird 1986 1st
    Larry Bird 1985 1st

beardsanity713 likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The triple double is the low hanging fruit of conversation that simple minded media programmers can gravitate to when trying to fill 24hrs of news cycle. Don't get fooled by headlines. If the standings stay similar Harden will finish ahead of Westbrook.

18. Htowngenius

Htowngenius Member

James has been shooting like a turd recently. Lebron or kawhi will get the mvp unfortunately if this continues

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

if he continues this style of play, I wouldn't blame the voters. Not looking for his shot, not playing defense. We need the Harden from the beginning of the season, in attitude.

brewer's goat likes this.
  20. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

good game. hope this L can wake harden up seriously.