1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP voting (2019 edition)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 15, 2019.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If he doesn't finish in the top 3 in the west, then I have no problem with him not winning. Team record in basketball counts, in ways it does in no other sport

arno_ed, B-Bob and J Sizzle like this.
  2. jacoby

jacoby Member

Just because you don't give a **** doesn't mean it's not a huge deal. MVP awards a huge for a player's legacy. Harden has been screwed over twice so far.

Also, it's almost as if you can win an MVP AND get a ring, like Harden almost did last year. They're not mutually exclusive.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wouldn’t be mad at all if Giannis won it, he genuinely deserves it

his stats are amazing, and his team has the best record in the league

Harden was the favorite for awhile, but the Bucks keep on winning, and the Rockets have too many choke jobs and bad L’s...media is all about “what have u done for me lately,” and the focus has been shifting towards Giannis the past week or 2

Harden needs more signature games like the GS one, and the Rockets must get to at least 50 wins

Giannis hasn’t had the attention that Harden has been receiving, and I can’t recall a single game from him this year that had everybody talking about it the next day, but he’s definitely deserving

a guy going from 6th man to MVP, and a guy going from the 15th pick to MVP...these are incredible stories

malakas, hakeem94 and durvasa like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not mutual exclusive. But I suspect playing with the singular focus on winning a ring gives your team a better chance of actually accomplishing that versus playing with the goal of winning an MVP (and maybe, hopefully, winning a ring).

dmenacela likes this.
  5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Jordan 6 rings. Do people really remember how many MVPs he's won?

Get your priorities straight man

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Won't get screwed if Giannis wins it. Dudes a beast and superlikable. I can't hate on Giannis if he wins it. Won't even be mad if PG13 wins it. Dude went through a lot, is a solid guy, and has to play with Russ. Hope my favorite wins it but if either Giannis or PG13 win it, then congrats to them.

malakas likes this.
  7. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

If Harden continues to have his name up there with Wilt and having the season he is having it will be a robbery if harden didnt win, hell harden is still the heavy favorite by vegas

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Harden's my guy and I want him to win but I don't think it would be robbery based on Giannis and PG13 seasons so far.

malakas, bmelo and B-Bob like this.
  9. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

See as a fan I wouldn’t have an issue either because the narrative was just that.
    Then they went and gave Westbrook his mvp and completely ignored records. You can make the same argument about historical numbers with a Harden as you can with Westbrook. It’s the narratives and constant goal post moving that gets irritating

hakeem94 and Jontro like this.
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Harden’s team had the best record, or even close to it, as Giannis’s team does this year, then Harden would have won the award. 55 wins is a low figure by historical MVP standards.

11. Blurr#7

But 47 isn’t? And a 6th seed at that. You can argue everything Harden is doing is just as historic as Westbrook’s fabricated triple doubles.

Jontro likes this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

ppl here just want a light at the end of this year's nightmare tunnel. They know we don't have a good chance at winning it all so Harden's mvp is all they can hope for. Totally understandable.

hakeem94 and s3ts like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well we do know this streak has been helped by fabrication too

14. Blurr#7

You could say that about maybe the last few games after CP3s return. Necessity was the beginning of the steak and the Rockets would be in the 9-10 seed without it. Westbrook’s triple double hunt hurt Adams, Olandipo and Sabonis and there’s actual stats to show that. Maybe it speaks on how bad James got screwed that season but it doesn’t change the fact that w/l record was superseded by a “historic” run. Even without the streak Harden is there.

hakeem94 and s3ts like this.
  15. s3ts

s3ts Member

Giannis has so much more help... And people underrate this so much. I wish we can get some players on the Rockets that can hit as many 3s as Bucks have, with Giannis being so inconsistent behind the arc.

The league is evolving quite a lot. Shorter guys now need a lot more skills to keep up, but even then they get dominated by the taller and athletic players. And now when shorter guys legitimately get fouled, people make fun of it.

Watching ASG, was clear to me that bigger stronger and athletic guys are dominating the league now. Giannis, Joel Embiid, KAT, AD...

It makes sense to me why Lebron wants AD. You can't teach those things, and you need them to sustain a considerable advantage over your opposition.

BamBam likes this.
  16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I think everybody here agrees that Westbrook MVP was terrible and undeserved. Even most of the media now seem to be regretting giving him the MVP. Especially since Harden both had the record and also historical numbers (just not as round). However just because they made a mistake 2 years ago does not mean that they should use the same standard they used back then. Those were terrible standards. I believe an MVP should have home court in the first round of the play offs.

That being said. Giannis deserves the MVP this year (just as Harden does). I would not be upset if Giannis wins it. He has a good record (of course in the east) and great numbers. I would not be upset if either Harden of Giannis win it. They both deserve the MVP (i do not believe George should be in the conversation). To me it is the following:
    If Houston finishes 3th or above Harden should be the MVP (however if Milwaukee finishes first it is a tossup)
    If Houston finishes 4th it is a tossup
    If Houston finishes 5th or lower Giannis should be MVP
    However if Milwaukee finishes 3rd or lower and Houston finishes 5th or lower I am not sure anymore.

Easy likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

That’s BS, Westbrook did not finish top 3 when he won his MVP. Breaking historic records is precedence for MVP. Otherwise Harden should already have 2.

No one will ever come as close to Wilt as Harden. Not even MJ or Kobe could accomplish this many 30 point consecutive games.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

again, westbrick did not have half his team injured throughout the bulk of the season and harden was not playing in the east.... so the comparison from that season to this one is hardly analogous

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Oh I am not comparing this season to that season. I am saying that Westbrooks MVP was ridiculous, and black chapter in the history of the NBA. However what happened that year should not influence the MVP voting this year. So we agree on that.

So if we only look at this year I believe there are 2 people who deserve to be MVP, Harden and Giannis. Both have reasons why they can win it. And I would not be upset if either one wins it. However If Houston cannot finish in the top 4 and do not have home court I believe that Giannis will win it. And I can understand it.

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sorry i misread your initial post bro, in agreement completely

arno_ed likes this.