1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden follows the footsteps of Tracy McGrady, as far as efficiency is concerned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxD, Jan 30, 2013.

1. wink3

wink3 Member

That's the truth.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

nothing revisionist about it.

Tracy came in after the streak began and had to reintegrate into the team. That particular run was keyed primarily by two things
    1. ease of schedule (most important)
    2. team playing well regardless of stars

During the back half of the streak Tracy did play a key role in several wins, but I can't credit him (nor can I credit yao) for being the catalyst in the full streak.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

you're reading way too much into one statement.

Loved Tracy - Loved the trade that brought him here. Hated Franchise with a bloody passion.

When all was said and done - I was ready for him to be gone, but definitely wasn't a tracy hater.

I just believe in giving credit where credit is due and imo - he does not get the credit for the 22 game win streak.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Every time PER pops up, I can't help but notice Greg Smith and his godly efficiency metrics on an adjusted time basis.

They should play him more. Or maybe the stats will catch up to him, and it'll turn out he is just a 15 min a match player. The Rockets will never know though. Asik is great, but I think his upside is a whole lot lower than Greg Smith.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The biggest reason for the streak was the play of Luis Scola , Carl landry, and Rafer Alston. Rafer was absolutely ****ing unbelievable during that stretch, seriously made me scratch my head. Rafer was always a good ball handler and good at controlling the tempo, he was a better floor leader than T-Mac but couldn't hit the backside of a barn most of the time. During the streak the guy was absolutely ridiculous. He had a 30 pt game on win 22 vs the lakers.

Early on, Luis was the perfect complement to Yao, something we had a lot of difficulty doing early on, a scrappy player that cleans up and scores at a high efficiency. The other thing we were lacking was the tenacity, having weak PFs like Juwan Howard and Co. led to our slaughter vs the Jazz teh yr before where Millsap and Co dominated us. Carl Landry was the player the rockets always needed. Coming into the season it was like the guy was going to be out of the league, but the guy worked incredibly hard and icnreased his vertical by like 6" to where we could rely on him night in and out.

Tracy can't be completely discredited, he was making really good plays, but it was the other guys that really played well.

1 person likes this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well, this thread sure went as expected...

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

studogg is right about the streak. It wasn't anyone player. Different players stepped up in different games. It was an amazing streak.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not really. tinman only has one post so far. :p

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You people can be butt hurt about the end of McGrady's tenure here all day everyday, but to discredit his contributions while he was healthy and we were elite is just plain wrong.

He was putting down 22pts, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, 2.5 T/O during the streak, while getting to the line 5 times per game.

McGrady was a huge part of the streak and the sole catalyst when Yao went down. To try and take that away or marginalize schedule strength is a slap in the face to the organization and that team in particular.

No true Rockets fan would throw the team under the bus in order to attack McGrady.

2 people like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How can James Harden follow Tracy McGrady's footsteps? James wears men's shoes.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't worry. I'm here to drop knowledge.

McGrady never played 80 games in a regular season.
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fm%2Fmcgratr01.html&div=div_totals"></script>

The most he had played is 78.

James Harden is already on pace to break that.

13. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Thanks to the r****ds ****ing this thread up as usual.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

2002-2003 Tmac was arguably the best player in the NBA

You give a 2002-2003 Tmac a team whose 2nd best player isn't Pat Garrity, and Tmac is no longer a 2nd round virgin.

Anyone could live with Harden becoming that.

15. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Amen.

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

You guys remember Yao the first 12 games of that 22 win streak? He was an absolute monster in those games. I think he was avg like 27 and 12. Not saying he was the reason for the streak just thinking back on the big fella. If I'm not wrong i think he ended up being 4th in MVP voting that yr even though he missed games as usual. What could have been with Mac an Yao? They were a special tandem just couldn't stay on the court long enough together. That 05 yr was really our year had the refs not screwed us on the sports betting bs I think we had a legit chance at the chip that ur along with 09. 09 was so set up for us had Yao not went down in that lakers series and we win we play Denver and then the magic in the finals and we all know how Dwight faired against Yao not very good.

1 person likes this.
  17. Orange

Orange Member

Too bad being a Great player is about more than having 1 Great season and a couple of other good ones. If he stayed "Great" he could have done something with Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Al Horford. or even with Yao, and Artest.

18. Kid Canada

Kid Canada Member

We will have to be extremely lucky for Harden to develop into the type of player T-Mac was in his prime.. Chances are he won't reach that level.

19. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Do you mean the level of being heartless and soft...??? Yea, I bet Orlando fans have great memories of him. Anyways I hope you are right about chances are that Harden won't reach his level :)

20. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Can McGrady even grow a beard?