1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden at 28 is better than Michael Jordan at 28

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 8, 2018.

1. macan

macan Member

sry man, as much as i like james harden, but no, he's not even close...

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Way too soon to start a conversation about having a conversation comparing the two. It's unfair to James. You must not have seen Jordan play, OP. As several others have essentially said, numbers can be very deceiving.

TEXNIFICENT and napalm06 like this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yep. #23 was on ANOTHER PLANET from James. And I love Harden's game. But having watched MJ, He'd be dominant and better than James in any era.

Purvis2Short likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With all due respect OP, it's obvious you did not watch him play.

Purvis2Short likes this.
  5. rockets13champs

1. Jordan era was easier. Teams had less talent. Warriors team or our rockets team or this cavs team or Celtics team could probably take down the Jazz, Suns, Sonics, Blazers etc of that time.
    2. Now every team got 3 or 4 stars. Much more difficult to win
    3. The game has evolved, athletes are more conditioned, back in 90s many players came into the season out of shape. Today players train all year round.
    4. Players were less talented in 90s so they compensated with handchecking and aggressive defense
    5. This era, players are a lot more offensively talented, so people think players play defense less but it’s only an illusion to the belief that makes people think defense has gotten worse, look at the warriors- that’s an all time defense.- you can’t tell me they cant reduce Jordan to like 20-25 pts.

6. Jordan as great as he was wasn’t perfect, everyone says he was exactly Kobe. You put Kobe in this era and it just doesn’t work, this era is a lot more on ball movement- we saw the MCHale days how iso ball didn’t work. You iso now you’ll lose ALOT of game. You put Jordan in this era he is not 6/6 I’d say he’d win 2-3 chips- mainly bc the game has shifted toward a more ball movement type game. You can thank Greg Popovich in 1999 for that. Iso ball hasn’t won a championship since then.

fckbandwagons and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Mad if yall don't stop the madness. Different era of basketball people. So stop the asinine comparison. It's like people are dying of boredom, so they start up nonsense like this.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I absolutely respect his abilities as a shooter and his ability to finish, much like Aaron Brooks. He's exceptionally quick with the ball and his shot is one of the best ever. He's a great player, no doubt.

But I don't think he'd be making or even taking many of those shots in an era with hand checking and significantly more physicality.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

7.5 times a game. behind at least 40 other players

behind Ego even Joe Ingles

Harden is top 4 and Cp3 is top 10

but yeah watching bspn highlights would make one think Curry be up there in # of drives and pts off drives. But he's around 40.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

I laugh at this era of basketball all the time...Russell Westbrook is a perfect example of todays NBA. That is supposed to impress me? MJ was bigger and more athletic and smarter and more insanely more skilled and one of the best perimeter defenders ever. MJ was even more relentless of an attacker than Russ and even relentless on defense. Russell doesn't even try and play defense lol..neither does Harden. I'd say MJ would just make Harden look like another Drexler, but im not even sure i'd take Harden over Drexler.

Now apparently this era is too good for Kobe also haha..

Yep....MJ and Kobe would struggle against:

Kent Bazemore 6'5'' / 201
    Allen Crabbe 6'6'' / 210
    Jaylen Brown 6'7" 225
    Nic Batum 6'8" 200
    Justin Holiday 6'6" 185
    JR Smith 6'6" 225 (lmao theres no way he's 6'6 or 225)
    Kyle Collinsworth 6'6" 210
    Gary Harris 6'4" 210
    Avery Bradley 6'2" 180
    Klay Thompson 6'7" 210
    Eric Gordon 6'4" 215
    Victor Oladipo 6'4" 210
    Lou Williams 6'1" 175
    K Caldwell-Pope 6'5" 205
    Andrew Harrison 6'6" 213
    Tyler Johnson 6'4" 186
    Tony Snell 6'7" 200
    Andrew Wiggins 6'8" 199
    Jrue Holiday 6'4" 205
    Courtney Lee 6'5" 200
    Andre Roberson 6'7" 210
    Evan Fournier 6'7" 205
    JJ Redick 6'4" 190
    Devin Booker 6'6" 206
    CJ McCollum 6'3" 190
    George Hill 6'3" 188
    Danny Green 6'6" 215
    Demar DeRozan 6'7" 220
    Donavon Mitchell 6'3" 211
    Bradley Beal 6'5" 205

Ladies and gentleman. Your NBA starting SG's as of today. Michael Jordan and Kobe Braynt would tremble at their feet. Just TOO BIG! TOO STRONG TOO ATHLETIC! TOO SKILLED for MJ and Kobe!

ronclone and tinman like this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Harden or Drexler?

Good Question.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He sure spanked this team last time around with those drives. Just stop the hate man. I'd be happy if Curry were suddenly a Rocket.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Ron Artest would had just broken Jordan's ribs.

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

With the end of a table leg...

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

That's all he could do to stop a 38 year old mike

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

"So I was in a summer gym. R. Kelly would be there sometimes, Jordan, Barkley was there a couple times, and a lot of other NBA players. There were some really good games—tougher than the NBA games, real tough competition. And Jordan was posting me up. So I was trying to deny him, because when Jordan gets the ball, there was nothing you could do. He was gonna score. So I was trying to deny him and he was holding me, so I kind of tried to lift his arm up with my right hand and I accidentally hit him in the ribs with my elbow. And I accidentally broke his ribs.
    After his ribs broke, he had to take off three months. That season, he averaged 25 [points per game] and I always felt like, if that would have never happened, he would have averaged about 35. He was looking so good. He had to take off three months and still averaged 25 points [Complex Editor's note: MJ actually averaged 22.9 PPG that season.]. That hurt me a lot because I'm an MJ fan. I love Jordan."

Ron Artest would take 38 year old Michael Jordan over James Harden.

Artest wasn't wrong. Before he was injured with that knee, he was averaging 25.1 - 6.2 - 5.3 - 1.5 - 0.5 on 42% with bad ribs, back spasms and bad knees. T-Mac was the only player in the NBA at that time averaging 25,6,5. Not even Kobe. And MJ was only improving too. In his last 20 games up to the injury he averaged
    27.5 - 6.4 - 5.2 - 1.3 - 0.5 on 44%

In his last 10 games up to the injury he averaged
    29.7 - 6.6 - 6.1 - 1.2 - 0.3 on 47%

And he was still better than harden could ever be on defense. Before that season, the Wizards were
    - 2nd worst in ppg allowed
    - 3rd worst in opponent FG%
    - 8th worst in team rebounding

With 38/39 year old MJ being the only significant addition, the Wizards were on pace for top 6 in D. With a healthy Rip, they were on pace for best D in the league and were 15-1 with both MJ and Rip playing together before MJ went down with the knee.

Amazing what could have happened if MJ go to enter out of his retirement fully healthy and in shape and ready to go instead of starting out as a team 2-9 and going through injuries himself and Rip as well.

Here's a more detailed write up of MJ on the Wizards
    http://nobodytouchesjordan.blogspot.com/2015/05/section-20-michael-jordans-wizards-years.html

#155 Caesar, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Are you telling me harden would have had a hard time dropping a 30 and 10 on these lakers?
    no way pedro!

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I dont know. This nba looks very slow and lacks the quick 3 point game. Every play is back to the basket

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. rockets13champs

again... Game isnt 1 on 1 that is the Jordan era... Game is 5 on 5. I was talking in respect to ISO ball. Go take a reading comprehension course bro. You saw kobe his last 4 years, ISO ball does not work today. then another comparison in Harden in McHale years.... ISO just doesn't work. Jordan and Kobes game doesn't fit todays game. Look at Melo for crying out loud. ISO player. he hurt the Thunder so much. ITS A TEAM GAME. Don't get caught up pound for pound this aint 1 on 1.

19. rockets13champs

Harden would be a nightmare matchup for those Lakers. He can pass and score, plus with the rockets ball movement the 1 on 1 defense in the 90s just wouldn't work.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Clutch
    False News