1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James ennis workout i.d.i.o.t.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mike2k132, Aug 6, 2018.

1. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

He's athletic fam.

Read every scouting report on him...and watch videos of when he was in Miami.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

So was Trevor Ariza.

I guess I should have said not a supreme athlete. After all, you've got to have some sort of athleticism to be in the NBA. Just not every player is an A+ in the athlete category...

Which neither of these guys is. Fam.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its nice to see an advancement in his game, more dribble drive penetrations ...may basketball gods continue with his maturation on the rockets

Hmc415 and cbs1507 like this.
  4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

We came back in the 3rd because he was pushing the tempo and Harden finally got out quick on the break. Harden (and Paul for that matter) need to push the tempo after rebounds and get the defense on their heals. We really need to change our style especially with athletic wing players like Ennis, House, Green, and Gordon to an extent running on the wings and Capela trucking down the court. If it is not there setup a screen with Capela.

cbs1507 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we got ourselves a nice group of players they just need be healthy and some time to gel together

Hmc415 likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've noticed he seems to want to do "more" but is often tentative in whether he should or shouldn't. It's like the once in a blue moon when Ariza would pump fake to a drive. It always looked super whack with Ariza. I think Ennis can/should do more of that, but it is indeed tough on this offense to know when a player should just be spot up only, or slashing.

The Rockets do now slashing.

In general, my biggest offensive complaint on MDA was that 2 offseason ago, after the successful first year, he mentioned adding wrinkles. To me those wrinkles would have been things like slashing, some back picks. I'm not talking about GSW movement type basketball. Just wrinkles whereby it wasn't so stale and allowed for at least some motion.

To his defense, they added CP3, doubled down on the simple PnR with awesome creator and floor spread where you absolutely no where everyone is because they don't really move... and that worked.

I'm just not sure Ennis will be 100% Ennis potential without some movement.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Forget his offense. Ennis' perimeter defense is one of the big issues on the team. He literally gets blown by at will.

napalm06, Hmc415 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Hmc415

Hmc415 Member

Yeah I'm happy with his offense. But I thought he would be able to keep guys in front of him. He rarely ever does. I remember him defending harden pretty well but then again harden isn't the quickest

HP3, hakeem94 and napalm06 like this.
  9. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

MDA has previously said that he would technically like more wrinkles in the offense, but he's being a players coach and playing to his players strengths.

“It’s completely different,” D’Antoni said. “We do a lot of iso basketball, which we didn’t do in Phoenix. We shoot a lot more 3s than we did in Phoenix, run a lot less than what we did in Phoenix. It’s a completely different thing. It’s based on the characteristics of players and getting the most out of them that you can.”
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...-s-offense-with-Rockets-not-same-12835072.php

I think as a coach you should still try to add wrinkles and even sometimes push your players beyond their comfort. Especially from a season to season basis just to not get stagnant.

heypartner likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He looks bad in these clips. How did Morey not see this coming?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, slipping a pick is slashing. The picker for Curry/Klay slip those picks a lot, when Curry/Klay are overplayed. Capela attacks picks that way, too. Only difference is Capela is on ball. The picks for Curry/Klay are off ball.

Also, we infrequently run that play with Capela out top passing to a back-cutting Harden/Gordon if their curls off of pin-downs are overplayed.

But yeah, GSW motion does a lot more slashing than just that. We pick for corner threes, as they do, though. Although, I've never seen us run a Hammer play, which seems in our wheelhouse.

All that said, imo, our primary advantage is ball control (at least last year). GSW is one of the worst turnover teams in the league. 27th and 30th in last two years in TOV%. Draymond Green, Simmons, Ingles and Rubio are worse than even Harden this year at TOV%. Same last year. Rockets after Jan 10th (near Harden's return from his hammy) we were 5th best. PnR and ISO are much, much better ball control offenses than motion.

There is no silver bullet offense, and fans love motion so much (me too) that sometimes we award it good at everything...and assume teams don't run it because their players are dumb. Well, it isn't good at limiting turnovers, and it isn't good at controlling the clock...comparatively speaking. If you don't have great players to save busted plays, it can be atrocious...because defenses can be designed to direct the motion to the weakness. While it can create a lot of defensive mistakes, while it is attempting to do so, it also isn't protecting the ball nearly as well as ISO and PnR, hence GSW being one of the worst TOV% teams in the league.

But it definitely has it's advantages ... in a nutshell, Motion is easy-buckets at the risk of exposing the ball and affording defenses the strategy to force the ball to a weakness...(GSW has no weaknesses though, but teams like Utah do.) MDA's offense (and Jerry Sloan) is quick-hits and ball-control (keeping the attack in hands of best player(s)), but at the expense of predictability.

anyhoot: I love basketball, and can love both offenses for what they do. But I'm primarily a fan of defenses to stop them. :)

#71 heypartner, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  12. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Small forward sucks