1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Ennis signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. craguin

craguin Member

^ y'all sound like Deh-roll...

[SpaceCityScoop Michael Knight: Besides winning the ultimate goal of a championship, what other aspirations do you have for the team this year?

Morey: "I think the main thing is that getting the one-seed is important, so we’re going to be shooting for that again. I think to take down Golden State, which is arguably the best team that’s ever played NBA basketball, you’re probably going to need homecourt. We do think the one-seed is important, so we’ll be shooting for that. I think taking it one step at a time, that’s the next goal and to have a great regular season again to put ourselves in the best position to knock off all these tough Western Conference teams."
    -------

Deuce and hakeem94 like this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah pretty significant indeed for green, nene, ryno, and a one armed luc. if they combine for a "7th man" role in the WCF its easy to think having an actual 7th man who could actually produce in those minutes would give us a huge boost.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so you're saying @Deuce an I are ready to take over the team? :cool:

craguin and Deuce like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thank you , this must be true since its your first post in 10 years!
    Congratulation Dear Sir!
    btw nice avatar hope to see it more in near future

jcf and ryano2009 like this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

I really dislike Melo’s attitude even more now, Ennis should start. We need to build on last year’s defensive identity! Sure we might have missed some threes, but we would’ve been swept if we relied on our offense. It was defense that won us and lost us by such large margins. We just couldn’t stop them and game 6 & 7 there was a clear referee agenda too so they fouled us time and again. The points were there. Defense is key to a championship, not #7 no matter what our marketing department cooked up years ago.

saleem and Zboy like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is our mini mini mini Lebron replacement.

7. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

huh? melo hasn't even said anything yet.. and it's not like we're playing the warriors 82 games... the defense shouldn't drop off too much as long as we have cp, capela, and pj. and we only really need to grind defensively during the wcf against the warriors. melo starting in regular season games doesn't really mean much.. it's who finishes the games anyway.

ideally, for the regular season, i'd want ennis starting at sf and melo starting at pf with pj coming off the bench - that way, pj can save all his energy for those big games against the warriors in the wcf when we'll need him most.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

Melo has said plenty and already claims he’s not going to come off the bench as long as he feels he’s a starter. What rock have you been sleeping under?

Zboy likes this.
  9. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

he said that when he was on okc... and even so... why does it matter if he's starting or not? it's minutes distribution that matters and in which lineups he's featured in that matters.
    stop thinking in black and white... being in the starting lineup or on the bench isn't life or death and it's a meaningless distinction even more so now. just like positions have been thrown out the window. if he really wants to start just let him start... and then see how it goes from there. is that so hard?

skroodup25 likes this.
  10. JW86

JW86 Member

Really, you want to support your argument and refute now based on a technicality? 4 days before the official trade went through and he was bought out:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...his-game-of-basketball’.292738/#post-11913068

You think his attitude changes that quickly? It matters a ton! You set your defensive tone early on the game. When you allow a Warriors team to get hot, chances are they beat you. They were crazy efficient in that 3rd quarter and no way you stop KD or Green with Melo. Ennis might have a shot. You win or lose a game against the Warriors in particular earlier in the game, things get outta hand quickly as you could see with our huge losses in the playoffs., They demoralise you with runs and a deficit to seems too big to overcome. You can only counter that with defensive minded players and our big 3 of Capela, Harden and CP3 is already plenty of offense.

That’s not even the point though, it’s his attitude as I said. It matters if you bring in a guy who won’t accept a role that’s better for the team. If Melo comes in with the idea I’m starting no matter how I play or what coach wants and think is better for us winning, then that’s a big issue. With any player that attitude is a big problem.

You know what it says to other players when a role player like him gets favourable status since his starting role is safe? No matter how great of an attitude Ennis might have, when you fight in practice and on the court for a possibility to start you bet your ass almost every player will give a little bit of extra. Not only that, when things don’t go well, that’s for sure a concerning cause for frustration when a coach along with his players are looking at changing things. Melo’s own mindset too as he might be less likely to be honest about himself.

Zboy likes this.
  11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

tldr.. such a giant wall of text. and you don't even bother reading one sentence of what i post except for the part about melo saying something or not...as if that's the only thing that matters

12. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

whatever is stuck up your ass, i hope you can get it out soon enough

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Excellent post.

JW86 likes this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

A child resorts to cussing and anger when he can no longer win an argument.

15. JW86

JW86 Member

of the irony...I actually did read everything and there is no let him start and let’s see with that attitude, something he’s had for 14 years now except with Team USA. If a player is that black and white.. come on now. I addressed all of what you said.

16. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

look, the last thing most of us want to hear is the same regurgitated national media hot take on why carmelo and the rockets are destined to fail.
    sure, there's a chance it might not work out.. but he's on a vet min expiring and if he is that bad team chemistry wise, it's really not that hard to cut him loose. and if morey, d'antoni, cp3, AND harden are all on board with melo to houston, it's better to support the move for now instead of being completely against it before we even see the results.

and your point of saying that the rockets need to start fast in each game and play good def, and how that's not possible with melo -- last season, okc was one of the fastest starting teams in the league and often jumped out to double-digit leads (with melo playing)... they just couldn't hold onto those leads in the 4th quarter bc of the ineptitude of westbrick.

maybe try laying off the espn, fs1, and theringer for awhile, it does wonders.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS aspect hasn't been talked NEARLY enough by the media. Adding Melo to EASE the "overall" workload of Harden/CP3.

You burn Melo minutes (regular season/early playoffs) to SAVE CP3 minutes for when it counts.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Welcome! It is funny that you comment on Ennis being heavier in Detroit and is slimmer now and that is the takeaway I came away with as well. Looks like his Miami days. The Heat really keep their players fit.

I think Ennis will be really solid in Houston and I think Jeff Bzdelik will get a lot out of him. I see him and Tucker working well together.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

most in the media (and many posters here) assume melo is to replace ariza and LMM, and assume its a net negative.

i see us as being up 3-2 on the warriors without luc. melo replaces green, nene, and ryno's minutes in the WCF for a net positive. and yes, we still need to replace ariza.

having more playmakers will save harden's legs from fatigue and paul's legs from injury. instead of them burning their legs going 1-1 all game, melo can get them open looks or score himself. that's another reason i love the idea of adding james johnson. not only can he replace ariza (maybe he's not as good at shooting) but he's another guy who can put the ball on the floor and create for himself and others.

20. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Agreed. Most of these analysts have never even played basketball nor do they know the feeling of deep fatigue that comes with going to war on the court. They underestimate this melo move because all they see is number and stats( which has validity of course) but does not paint the whole picture. Melo is worth the sign just because he can give you starter minutes and take the load off cp3 and Hardens backs offensively.