1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jamal Crawford: Overated

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sup123, Jul 22, 2004.

1. sup123

sup123 Member

I been hearing all this talk about jamal lately, but IMHO this guy is extermely overated. Look at his stats

Carrer: FG% .397 3pt%: .339 APG: 3.8 TO: 1.82

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Crawford? Overrated?

That's not news to me.

3. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

A horribly-flawed and very overrated player. And I'm a Bulls fan.

That said, if they lose him, I'd be pretty upset.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Interesting that you post his career stats, but not that numbers he put up last year in his breakout season:

17.3ppg, 4.5rpg, 5.1apg, 2.4 turnovers, 1.4 steals, .386 FG%, .316 3PT%.

I'm not saying Crawford's not overrated (he is), or even that he's any good (not that good), but he put up pretty good stats last year except in shooting percentages. And it seemed to me like you're using stats to prove your point, which probably wasn't the best way to go.

Problem with Crawford is that he doesn't pass enough, doesn't take the ball to the hole strong, has an inconsistent jumper, and doesn't play much defense. He's sort of like Ricky Davis (less athleticism, a little bit smarter).

5. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

The comparison I've heard more often has been "poor man's Steve Francis" which I think fits quite well.

It's weird how I feel that most of the "poor man's Steve Francis"es are overrated: Gilbert Arenas, Dwayne Wade (ONE year does NOT turn him from a draft day laugher to Kobe Bryant!), Jamal Crawford...

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Crawford will have a true break out year when he starts over, as he evidenced after Billy C was sent off. He needs to leave Chicago.

If he'll buy into a program he will be a dynamite player.

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Career: FG% .397 3pt%: .339 APG: 3.8 TO: 1.82

How was that a breakout season? It looks like he had the ball more often and didn't really reward the team for letting him have it. Hell, I bet Moochie could put up better numbers than that if someone was crazy enough to let him start. Someone averaging more points on more opportunities with lower FG% across the board and more turnovers does not look that attractive to me.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Amazing what a contract year can do to guys.

He turned the ball over more, and shot more at lower FG%.

Personally, I don't get why Chicago hasn't jumped at the chance to send him to Chicago. Their obsession with dumping E-Rob, Jerome Williams, and Pippen has hampered nearly all their potential moves.

Evan

9. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

but he serves dinner over people regularly in games...but yes he is too trigger happy, and needs to be a volume shooter to be effective. But if he goes off...watch out.

GO BULLS!

10. munco

munco Member

I don't think he's overrated. Most people talk about his talent and how good he can be over what he's accomplished. From what I've seen he has the talent to be a great player but at this point in his career he's been more potential than anything else. I'd state he was overrated if people thought he was real good player now but I don't think that's the consensus.

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I concur.

12. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Why didn't I concur :(

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Cuttino Mobley > Jamal Crawford

14. lalala902102001

One can't be overrated when nobody overrates him. Nobody in the media or on any BBS is saying that Crawford's an all-star caliber player or that he's a top FA this summer. He couldn't even get more than a MLE offer from his own team despite being the leading scorer on the team. That's not "overrated". Crawford is a young player who has great natural abilities and still can improve. Saying that is not overrating him.

Crawford just needs to leave the Bulls and play under a coach who can bring out the best of him. I still think that his eventual position will be PG. Last year was not a breakout season for Crawford. It was in fact his worst season since he came into the league because he was forced to be the primary scorer (after their early-season trade) on the Bulls when he clearly wasn't ready. Crawford really didn't have a chance with Chicago. He was glued to the bench his first year and blew out his knee his second year. They drafted Jay Williams in 2002-2003 season and made Crawford his backup. Jamal eventually beat Jay out for the starting PG role and played very well for the last two months of the season. Then they drafted another PG in Hinrich and made Crawford the SG. I think that a change of scenery will be very good for Crawford. Look for him to have a true breakout season next year.