1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Rose: CP3 initiating with Harden on the floor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, May 6, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I'm wondering, Jalen Rose said he feels CP3 should initiate some offense with Harden on the floor, but then Harden needs to show good body language and be a threat. So it's not just 4-on-5. I do agree CP3 needs to be more aggressive and they should come up with a way to make Harden effective off the ball but that has never been a thing, or am I tripping? I've never seen a set with Harden getting more than one screen to get open. Usually he just waits to get the ball and it is indeed 4-on-5 when he doesn't initiate the offense, though he's always a threat because he's Harden, but I see what Rose is saying.

So question: should CP3 initiate offense when Harden is on the floor more and if so, should Harden be more willing to move without the ball and be involved in the offense instead of waiting to get the ball?

ak99999, cbs1507, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Does Jalen actually watch the games or just the highlights?

dreamshakin, cbs1507, Tfor3 and 3 others like this.
  3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not that I agree with Hardens tendency to remove himself from the play when CP3 initiates the offense, but it's seriously disingenuous to act like this makes it 4 on 5. Harden still occupies a defender, so its 4 on 4.

dreamshakin, Reeko, topfive and 13 others like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. CP3 needs to take advantage of the floor spacing, or we need to go get someone who will.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Harden should never move off the ball for fear he will get tired. Media needs to realize Rockets are an ISO heavy team. 95% of the offense is Harden, CP3, EGO, Rivers, House* isolations. Media needs to deal with it.

CP3 definitely needs to initiate offense more with Harden on the floor, but that's more CP3 being more aggressive. I would love to see Harden more involved in the offense when he doesn't have the ball, but he doesn't do that well when he isn't dribbling his way into a rhythm. MDA does have that one backdoor play that gets Harden baseline dunks, but that's it.

It would be nice if Rockets could devise a way to get easier shots. Harden and CP3 have to unlock hall of fame mode on every possession to score.

6. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

my answer is yes.

Ans is not even taking shots away from Harden. Its just that maybe facing the best team in history you should make thier defense move a little before attacking. Making it a little more fluid, changing the angle and point of attack.

Im not even talking basketball, just overall strategy.

And last but not least, because CP3 seems to be the only player finding the roll man and generating some value on those Capela Dives.

Even with his bad final minute, we need to keep working him.

7. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I dont know if you guys can see this. Is via Reddit

Speaks volumes about this topic

Earnie Banks, ribbit and studogg like this.
  8. cmutt

cmutt Member

Not exactly true... many, many times when Harden is standing well beyond the 3 point line, practically near half court, he effectively is taking himself almost completely out of the play because he cannot be a legitimate threat from that position. He is not available as a kick out for shot option, he's not available as a cutter, nor is he available for a corner spot up.

Thus, his defender has no significant need to worry about him, and his defender can sag way off of him and interfere with the driving and passing lanes of the other 4 Rockets. So although it may not be "truly" 5 on 4 for the Warriors... it is a semi 5 on 4 situation because Harden's defender can sort of zone up and disrupt the play.

It's not the best way for Harden to utilize his skills. He, and the team, would be far better off if he placed himself closer into the action, so that he is a viable threat.

smp likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

I know the depressing part of this is that the data here says that the team is better when Paul is off the court. However, I'm just going to skip over that and note that the only other player that lowers his team's offense when on the court in Giannis.

Deckard likes this.
  10. juanm34

juanm34 Member

CP3 initiating the offense is a plus.
    As in he does it well and it allows Harden a mini breather...
    I believe a steady balance of CP3 offense and Harden ISO is the way to go. Once one catches fire roll with it.

Deckard and YaoMingsSoulja like this.
  11. threepointshot3

He clearly missed when Paul almost single handedly lost us the game with that pathetic minute to close out the game and it was harden who had to save the day

12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

This is the Rockets offense, and it has been for years, and the numbers show it works really damn well... Even when playing against a team with four all stars, as long as we're healthy and the refs don't get in the way.

When a team is having an off game, it's always easy to point at the thing they do differently than everyone else and blame that, but sometimes doing things differently is exactly what you need to do to win.

Hard_foul, RayRay10 and D-rock like this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rockets offense usualy only involves, the ball handler and the guy setting the pick, the other people just stand in the corners for spacing.

It's not like Chris Paul moves off the ball either, it's by design. EG sits in the corner/elbow 3 all the time too

YaoMingsSoulja likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

His defender never sags way off him, he is never 3 feet away his defender never is factor on helping defense

either you don't watch the games or are intentionally making up something to fit an agenda.

Which is it?

15. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Been saying this

16. YaoMingsSoulja

I see what Jalen is talking about. Harden's been like that for as long as I can remember. So maybe Jalen calling him out will help change his ways or we just have to live with it. Still a young guy, still immature, maybe he'll grow out of it. Maybe not.

17. threepointshot3

Fchowder and his alternate account 100.. what’s this we stuff you came here for Yao, Yao retried you disappeared then returned for Lin and Lin turned out to be a scrub and you blame harden fchowder

18. YaoMingsSoulja

nah, im not fchowder. I love Harden. I think he's awesome. But I know exactly what Jalen is talking about.

19. threepointshot3

Lol ok fcoward

20. YaoMingsSoulja

Sometimes he's not even in the camera shot. Like they kind of zoom out a little and he's literally so far out of the play that you cant even see him on camera lol. He's always done this tho and I mean you would think the coaches would call him out on it but they don't seem to be bothered by it. I try not to let it bother me anymore because he's always done this, it's just the media (jalen rose) is calling attention to it now.

smp likes this.