1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J'Aime Foxx takes it to church

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Honey Bear, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Jamie Foxx: black stars – including Will Smith – need to #actbetter to win Oscars

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...s-to-act-better-oscars-so-white-diversity-row

Not surprising to see the talent, of all races and genders, having the same views as the educated.

Entitlement amongst the mediocre will always be laughed at.

2. Honey Bear

The Black Lives silence is deafening. Likely busy planning the next non issue to take offense to -- and eating coleslaw.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nah, this should have been posted in the other thread. I do find it odd how you quote one black actor (Ignore all the others of course) and hold his opinion higher than others, including those that have won before, especially won that is a bit of a troll (All he does is make fun of other actors) and one who said that his whole life his race has been a factor...

But you do you! Have fun with the thread!

4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

From what I read in that article he was making a joke and not being totally serious *shrugs*

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Whether he was joking or serious, he had a great point in the above quote.

I'll just leave it at that. I've learned that there is hardly any point in seeing my screen filled with

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

LOL @ the big man that can't take a differing opinion so blocks someone...THEN proceeds to insult said person behind their little magical safe zone they have created on the internet.

That's funny.

7. Honey Bear

Eddie Murphy, is laughing at you.
    Stacey Dash, is laughing at you.
    Mr T, is laughing at you.

People talented enough not be boxed in by their race get it.

The complainers are always going to be those who aren't good enough to do that, whether it's having the look (which is what the industry IS about) or the acting chops.

Ha ha ha ha!

He he he he!

Ho ho ho ho!

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I've said this before, but the fact that blacks are only about 12% of America means that statistically speaking there likely will be years where they are shut out.

They have had numerous Oscar nominations in the past and Oscar wins in the past - it's not like the Oscar committee has some awful track record of racism or something.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Try hard posts Ronny. If you're a cuck, its a lot easier to let it slide, considering you'd need to play out your fantasy somewhere.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

nope.

Mr T don't laugh.
    He pities the fool.

11. Nook

Nook Member

The Blacklivesmatter movement is a joke that no one takes seriously. They have destroyed any momentum they had.

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very selective use of Foxx's words.

Jamie Foxx has reportedly told fellow actors of colour threatening a boycott of the Oscars over its all-white nominees to #actbetter if they want to win the top prize.

Appearing at the American black film festival awards on Sunday, the Oscar-winner joked that he and Denzel Washington were unimpressed with complaints over the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ failure to nominate a single actor of colour for the second year in a row.

“All these Oscar talks, I don’t even trip about that,” said Foxx, according to US Weekly. “I mean, what’s the big deal? I was sitting at home with my Oscar, like ‘What’s all the hubbub?’”

According to Page Six, Fox added: “Me and Denzel were like, ‘Hashtag what’s the big deal? Hashtag act better.’”

Foxx cited the attitude of Sidney Poitier, who became the first black winner of the best actor Oscar in 1964 for his turn in Lilies of the Field. “I was with Sidney Poitier just a couple weeks ago, and in 1963 all he asked for was an opportunity to act,” Foxx said. “That’s all we have to do: opportunity. If you turn the camera on and say, ‘OK … win an award … and action,’ we’ll all have taken 10 steps back. It’s all about the art. Who cares about anything else?”

According to Page Six, Foxx also poked fun at Will Smith’s cod-Nigerian accent in Concussion. Smith has denied that the joint decision with his wife Jada Pinkett Smith to boycott the Oscars over diversity has anything to do with his failure to pick up a best actor nomination for his turn as forensic pathologist Dr Bennet Omalu in Peter Landesman’s film.

The 2016 Oscars ceremony will take place at the Dolby theatre in Los Angeles this Sunday, 28 February. Spike Lee, Tyrese Gibson and Michael Moore are among other notable figures who have called for a boycott or signalled that they will not be attending over diversity.

I agree with Foxx. There is a significant problem in the Academy on the award side (voters don't watch films they vote for and don't watch films that have nomination buzz), but the bigger issue is on the opportunity to perform side.

And the Smith clan has little leg to stand on when Fresh Prince isn't that strong an actor to start with and when the clan uses its power in film production to focus on creating vehicles for themselves, their friends, and their children instead of opening doors for other unknown actors with the talent to succeed (kinda like how Quincy Jones opened a door for Smith, in the first place).

And if the Academy won't recognize the art, then the Academy will have de-legitimized itself and those who care can promote other awards ceremonies they believe better represent the art.

13. Honey Bear

He's saying what everyone in the arts community already knows.

Except the victimized few who manipulate the poorly informed to push their brand.

Acting is not about rewards or validation. It's a creative outlet like any other. Considering 25% of best actor winners in th e last 12 years have been black , it's not like it doesn't go noticed at the highest level. But git moving
    , sit on your ass whining and boy, you gon waste away your life.

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Jamie Foxx drops the "I was with Sidney Poitier" and that is game, set, match.

Sorry Fresh Prince - he's right about this one. The accent was terrible. Definitely needed to work on that more - not even close to an Oscar worthy performance.

Sour grapes from the Smith's and it's a bad look.