1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jags Offer To Swap Home Games With Us

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by macho GRANDE, Aug 30, 2017.

1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

I just got an alert saying that the Jags owner is offering to swap home games. Whatcha think?

Houstunna and Fullcourt like this.
  2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Hunch says take it but if their thoughts are in Houston and they are in Jacksonville... have a feeling it wouldn't end to well for us. Astros feeling it and look how great they've been (regardless of their recent struggles).

3. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Good point.....also with the next two games being on the road our first home game wouldn't be until Oct 1.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...khan-open-to-swapping-home-dates-with-texans/

There’s been no word from the league on the status of the Week One Texans home game against the Jaguars.

But if the league wanted to flip the home games between the AFC South rivals, Jaguars owner Shad Khan would not be opposed to it.

Khan issued a statement saying he was prepared to follow the league’s lead on any decision regarding the Sept. 10 game currently scheduled for Houston.

“The Jacksonville Jaguars will support whatever scheduling decision the NFL makes,” Khan said. “What’s most important to me and everyone in Jacksonville isn’t where we’ll play the Texans on Week One, but that the City of Houston and its people recover quickly, safely and successfully.”

The two teams play each other in Jacksonville on Dec. 17, and swapping those dates seems like a reasonable proposal.

It might create some competitive advantage issues (giving the Texans three straight home games to close the season and three straight road games for the Jaguars), but Khan’s right in that that’s not a major concern.

With the flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey causing widespread damage in Houston, local authorities will have much more important things to do than make sure 70,000 people get in and out of a football game safely.​

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Could someone send this to the schmucks in Arlington?

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Won't happen. Rick Smith has already said they're playing in Houston week 1.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Respect +1 for Jacksonville.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The PR department in Jacksonville knows what they're doing.

There was likely never a possibility to ask for a switch... hell, the Astros will be playing in Houston on Saturday, and there's more than enough time to get NRG ready for a week from Sunday.

But, Jacksonville (and their front office) will end up looking extremely accommodating/cooperative... and that's the kind of spirit you'd expect in the brotherhood of sports franchises, where they should know that there's things out there far bigger than sports.

Texans already established a precedent for this in 2008.... not sure why MLB d-bags up north can't grasp that same sentiment.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  9. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

great gesture but i fully expect us to play at home in week 1 and blow out the jags in an effort that will increase morale all around houston.

sammy and Fullcourt like this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Initially I thought it might be better to swap, but then I remember when the Saints played their first game after Karina and how important it was for the city.

Pen15clubber and justtxyank like this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hmm. Is there any evidence to support this opinion?

Is there a lot of precedent for the league disallowing the switching of home games for 50 foot floods?

Just seems strange to rag on Khan at all for this. Also --- BYU-LSU moved this Saturday's game from Houston to New Orleans within the last 48 hours, and that game involved a ton of traveling fans.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's a noble gesture, but we'd fall victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less well known is this, "never play in swamp ass Florida in September."

Plus it's a home opener on week 1. No matter the matchup that's one of the best weeks to attend a game.

RunninRaven, csj, leroy and 1 other person like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I hope they are playing here in Week 1. I think I might cry my eyes out if they win that game.

I didn't get it with the Saints but now I do.

macho GRANDE and red5rocket like this.
  14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Anyone think we get a prime time slot for the Jags game since it's got a Katrina like feel? I'm sure ratings would be through the roof and the NFL could run some sort of campaign to donate during the game or what not. Maybe a ceremony (kind of like when Green Day performed) honoring the victims of the storm. It could turn into one of the more memorable sports moments of the year and the pull would be massive. Great way to bring in funds for relief efforts.

Any thoughts on this?

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Nice gesture, but if the game is logistically possible, play it here. Houston needs a hopefully pleasant distraction. That is what sports is supposed to be.

macho GRANDE and justtxyank like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm not ragging on him.

I'm saying it was a brilliant move that should generate nothing but good vibes, even if a switch was never realistically going to happen.

Unlike what happened with the Astros... in a league where there is plenty more flexibility in games than the NFL.

Also, the precedent in 2008 involved the Texans getting their schedule rearranged to accommodate for the damage NRG suffered from Ike.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

It won't be a pleasant distraction if the Texans lose bad. Exhibit A: the Astros arent helping any Houstonians.

red5rocket and justtxyank like this.
  18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Saints played a few games in San Antonio to start the season if I'm not mistaken. I don't think Houston will be ready in a week or two.

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

That's nice of the Jags. **** you Dallas / Arlington.

But I think the city really needs the Texans on opening week. It will he like Xmas day.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Saints played an entire season away from New Orleans... because the Superdome was decimated.

NRG is fine... and the roads leading to NRG are now fine.

If you define "ready" as when will Houston be totally healed, then they're probably not going to be ready for several months to years.

If you define "ready" as when will football seem to matter more than what just happened, then the answer is never.

However, if you define "ready" as when is the stadium ok, when are the roads ok, when will the majority of season ticket holders be willing/able to attend a game, and when will this city need a pleasant distraction of sorts to try and get the slightest bit of normalcy back... then the answer is yesterday (but most definitely a week from Sunday).

The Astros games this weekend should be a decent litmus test to see what the sports-ticket-buying population of Houston is currently up to.... I actually expect attendance to be halfway decent.

csj likes this.