1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabar Gaffney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Possum, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Possum

Possum Member

YES :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool:

Jabar Gaffney
    WR | (6-1, 193, 4.55) | FLORIDA | COLLEGE STATS
    By Pro Football Weekly

Notes: Son of former Florida and New York Jet WR Derrick Gaffney, who was known as a quiet, tireless, hard-working overachiever when he was the second fiddle to Wesley Walker in New York. The younger Gaffney is a third-year sophomore who was trained on how to play receiver by his father. However, as a freshman in '99, he was kicked off the team and lost his scholarship after he allegedly stole cash and a gold watch from a high school all-star game locker room. Returned without a scholarship in 2000 and was an instant sensation, despite being suspended for one half for taunting Tennessee. Won Freshman All-America honors and All-Southeastern Conference honors, catching 71 passes for 1,184 yards and 14 touchdowns. Was a consensus All-American and a Fred Biletnikoff Award finalist in '01, when he snagged 67-1,191-13.

Positives: Exceptional athlete with tremendous body control and balance. Has nice, soft hands and exceptional ball skills. Does a terrific job of adjusting to the ball. Very fluid and plays fast. Runs by people and makes big plays down the field. Can go up and snag the ball at its highest point. Is no boy scout, but he has matured a great deal and erased some of the character concerns surrounding him.

Negatives: Still immature and likes to call attention to himself with his antics. Does not have a great size-speed ratio. Can be a little inconsistent catching inside and has very small hands for a wide receiver. Does not like to do the dirty work like blocking and running out routes at full speed when he is not the primary receiver in the pattern. Team's offensive scheme tends to make receivers look better than they really are, and most of Steve Spurrier's college receivers (Ike Hilliard, Travis Taylor and Reidel Anthony are past first-rounders) do not return full value for where they are drafted.

Summary: Can be an excellent pro if he grows up and learns from his father about how a pro behaves

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Nice pick. I like this.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we'd have taken Kalimba Edwards to play OLB.

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Ottomaton,

I sent you an urgent email.

Mango

5. haven

haven Member

I'd rather have had Foster... who, if he gets over fumbling problems, could be a really terrific RB. But Gaffney is still a good picl.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

From NFL.com:

Has a pair of the smallest hands in college football (7½-inches).

I too, would rather have Foster.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I watched a lot of Florida Games last year, Jabar Gaffney is either going to be the Next Randy Moss or The Hugest Bust ever. I dont think there is a middle ground for this guy.

8. mduke

mduke Member

why Edwards when you could draft Rocky Calmus in later rounds?;)

9. gr8-1

Just passed up Clinton Portis for a project OT from SDSU. He never played football in high school.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Gaffney has an ego about him, that's for sure. He's not the brightest cookie, even among football players, but he's got skills. For a player who was projected in the first round, getting him at 33 isn't bad for the Texans.

11. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

I swear to God, I was going to kill my TV cause I thought that Spurrier was going to try to draft Gaffney and make it the 30th ex gator he would of signed. Gaffney has 1st round potential, and probably should of went to some team in the first round. Not a bad selection in the second round. If it turns out well, Carr to Gaffney could be a nice combo for years to come.

12. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

This is normal for CC. Get use to project players on the Texans. Maybe this one will work out.

13. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

No kidding...Saw this guy interviewed on fox and couldn't understand a thing he was saying.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Maybe he spoke at too high of a level for you?

;) :D

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

maybe maybe no

16. gr8-1

I would think an expansion team would want to draft a starter, rather than a project in round 2. Projects should be drafted in the later rounds.

17. Smoke

Smoke Member

CC said he would draft for the future, not for need. That is exactly what he has done. He got a projected 1st round WR to grow with Carr. Pitts will really be something in a couple years. He gets to go to OT Grad School and learn from Tony. I would rather have seen them take a DB. But, in a few years this may prove to be the best choice.

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Wow. My hands are like, 2 full inches bigger.

But he's got softies, and he's speedy.

BUT -- the guy does seem to taunt a lot

and show off

Reminds me a lil bit of Deion pre-turnaround.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

or Cris Dishman before he cooled down and became one of the best cover corners in the league

20. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I am glad someone else noticed. I immediately wondered how he got in college, because he sure didn't sound like a very educated guy. Maybe he was just nervous or camera-shy... :)