1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IYO, What Was the Worst Trade the Rockets Ever Did?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

All these threads about V-Span made me think of this because I read a post where someone said "Well, if it wasn't for the sucky play of Alston, we wouldn't have 170000987 threads on V-Span getting more playtime." (Don't hold me to the number of threads but it was a big number). So, as I read that post, I thought about how Alston came in the first place...in that wretched deal involving Mike James. I have mentioned several times that I think that trade is one of the worst that the Rockets have ever done. Yet, I know there are other trades the team has done over the years that are just as bad or even worst (trading Elvin Hayes to Washington for Jack Marin comes to mind).

I would mention trading Swift and Rudy Gay for Battier - MAINLY for the fact that we gave up too much for Shane. Yet, he has proven his critics wrong (including me) that he was worth obtaining (still feel that we should have gotten a pick along with him). However, if Gay becomes a superstar (which I think he will) in the next 5 years, then this trade will really look bad for the Rockets.

Another bad one, IMO, was dealing Quitten to the Jailblazers for Cato, Carlos Rogers, Stacey Augmon (who was immediately released so he could re-sign with Portland :rolleyes: ), Walt Williams, Brian Shaw (another guy that was immediately released and made an impact with the team that signed him in the Fakers), and Ed Gray (complete bust who didn't do anything and was released like in 2 weeks). So, in essence we traded Quitten for 3 guys - none of them were really that good (well Cato had a great pre-season game and was rewarded with a ridiculous extension).

Some people (tinman?) might say that trading Cassell, Horry, Elie, and Mark Bryant to Phoenix for Barkley was a bad trade, but I disagree with that one. If it wasn't for Barkley, we never would have gotten past those damn Sonic teams of George Karl that were always playing those illegal defenses on Olajuwon and getting away with it. However, I can understand why some people might cite that trade as one of the worst trades the Rockets did.

What are some other bad trades the Rockets have done over the years, in your opinion? Give me your choice for the worst one.

2. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

In retrospect, we got dry boned on the Eddie Griffin deal.

We didn't have any leverage with Pippen. If memory serves, Glen Rice was our only other option.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Oh yeah - thanks for reminding me on Griffin. That one was pretty bad. I know what you mean about Quitten but still you would think that out of 6 players, we would have gotten more out of those guys than what we got (having 3 released within 2 weeks was pretty bad).

4. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

haha i think that was my reply that prompted this thread, but i definitely see your point on the pippen deal. not only did the players we receive suck, but we further screwed ourselves by offering cato the albatross of a contract that we did. :mad:

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

EG imo. simply stupid. talk about the potential he had but a little research would have revealed that he was never going to use it.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Moses Malone for Caldwell Jones.

Gag a maggot off a .... wagon.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I am not sure but didn't this give us the pick for either Sampson of Hakeem? :p

8. Nero

Nero Member

Definitely the EG deal. My God, to have had Richard Jefferson and just about anyone else in that draft OTHER than EG would have benefited this team for the next ten years. As it was, it put us into purgatory for half a decade.

9. Pocket Rockets

horry for sean elliot

thank god they realized it

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm not old enough to remember any Rockets transactions before 1991, so I would have to agree that the Eddie Griffin trade was the worst trade by far. Granted, we sucked enough to get enough ping pong balls for Yao, but if we didn't luck out and get Yao, that move right there could have set this franchise back at least 5 years. THREE 1st ROUNDERS.

11. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Whatever we did to get Moochie back on the Rockets.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

man that 2001 draft had some great late round pickups available or at the very least guys who coulda helped out the Rox.

14. Troy Murphy
    19. Zach Randolph
    25. Gerald Wallace
    26. Samuel Dalembert
    27. Jamaal Tinsley
    28. Tony Parker
    31. Gilbert Arenas
    38. Mehmet Okur
    42. Bobby Simmons

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

worst trade in hindsight or at the time?

in hindsight that eddie griffin trade really sucks but EVERYONE freaking loved it at the time.

at the time, i don't recall too many people thinking that trading mike james was a good thing and clearly it wasn't.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually NO.
    Chuck did what we traded him for.. BEAT SEATTLE.

Chuck was a true Rocket warrior, sacrificing his salary to let that punk Quitten join. For that act of sacrifice for the goal of a championship, Chuck will always get respect from us real Rocket fans.

The worst trade that affected the universe was when the Spurs GAVE AWAY Rodman to the Bulls for Will Purdue, that solidified 3 more championships for the Bulls.

The worst thing the Rockets DID NOT DO was try to get Cassell and Horry back. How many more championships did Horry have to win that Rockets management would even offer him some cash?
    How many more point guards do we have to get before even attempting to talk to Sam?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Pryzbilla trade wasnt smart.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Elvin Hayes for Jack Marin.

This thread can now be locked.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glen Rice sucked when he was with the Rockets.
    He was more like Glen Fried Rice.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

1. Rights to Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins, and Brandon Armstrong for Eddie Griffin. Rudy's obsession with finesse shooting PFs killed us there.

2. Rockets trade Elvin Hayes for Jack Marin (1972, Bullets). Marin (over 20 ppg the season beforehand) fell into the crapper almost immediately and Hayes led the Bullets to a title.

3. Traded Moses Malone to Philly for Caldwell Jones and the pick that became Ralph Sampson. Sampson was good for 5 years and helped form the twin towers, but Moses & Dream would have been as formidable as Priest and McHale. Moses got the MVP and a ring as a Sixer.

I still have no problem with the Barkley trade. People love to forget how mediocre we were after championship #2 and that Horry and Sam weren't taking games seriously. They lost all hunger, were cocky, and it showed. Barkley nearly got us to another finals.

Evan

#18 emjohn, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  19. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Eddie Griffin trade (I do not know much about Rockets before 1990).

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He was just as terrible as Collier during his rookie deal. I'm not going to cry over a guy whose career year was 6 pts and 7 boards a game. He's never earned starter minutes in his career.

Evan